Impacted Crop Diaries

Hi there! I have really enjoyed reading your diaries... not all the way through them yet, but it is a relief to think there may be hope for my Austrolorp with an impacted crop. Please don't judge my two year old named her... here it is... her name is "Chicken". Anyway, Chicken was discovered laying on the ground with one foot curled up under her and a large full crop, however it doesn't feel like a knot, it feels like a full crop, with gritty texture and it is move-able and ply-able just very very full... and the rest of her poor body is rather thin. I'm not sure what to do as far as massaging it. How many times a day should I be doing that? and for how long each time? I've brought her inside and she has water available to her, but all she seems to want to do is sleep, which I can understand given that she seems rather out of energy and skinny. I mean VERY skinny. I can't believe I didn't notice this earlier, but she seemed fine yesterday, walking around, and she doesn't like to be petted normally so the other girls (I have three) get petted more often than her... she likes her personal space.
Also, she doesn't lay eggs... she is 8 months old, and at one point did lay at least one egg, but then everyone stopped for a time, I blame the ducks for constantly dumping their food, we switched food (from crumbles to pellets) and it took them awhile to get used to the new variety but they started laying again, everyone except Chicken... I'm not sure what to do about that either... but one problem at a time... first the crop. Any advice you can offer would be great!
sincerely,
Chicken's mama

Hi there! I have really enjoyed reading your diaries... not all the way through them yet, but it is a relief to think there may be hope for my Austrolorp with an impacted crop. Please don't judge my two year old named her... here it is... her name is "Chicken". Anyway, Chicken was discovered laying on the ground with one foot curled up under her and a large full crop, however it doesn't feel like a knot, it feels like a full crop, with gritty texture and it is move-able and ply-able just very very full... and the rest of her poor body is rather thin. I'm not sure what to do as far as massaging it. How many times a day should I be doing that? and for how long each time? I've brought her inside and she has water available to her, but all she seems to want to do is sleep, which I can understand given that she seems rather out of energy and skinny. I mean VERY skinny. I can't believe I didn't notice this earlier, but she seemed fine yesterday, walking around, and she doesn't like to be petted normally so the other girls (I have three) get petted more often than her... she likes her personal space.
Also, she doesn't lay eggs... she is 8 months old, and at one point did lay at least one egg, but then everyone stopped for a time, I blame the ducks for constantly dumping their food, we switched food (from crumbles to pellets) and it took them awhile to get used to the new variety but they started laying again, everyone except Chicken... I'm not sure what to do about that either... but one problem at a time... first the crop. Any advice you can offer would be great!
sincerely,
Chicken's mama
I would never judge. My first chicken was named Dollars. Because when she shook and feathers came out, they floated to the ground like dollar bills would.

My hen had a similar crop. She was eating sand and dirt. I don't know why. She was molting for the first time and I think some hens get stupid as far as what is happening to them.

Anyway, I tried EVERYTHING. Even an expensive trip to the vet. And here's what finally worked. Wishing I had done this first before my hen lost a ton of weight.

I gave her two stool softeners.

Now read up and be sure you buy the right ones.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1036795/dulcolax-confusion-beware

My hen loves raisins so I split a raisin and tucked the pill inside and she took the whole thing. I gave her two per the instructions on the web link above and sure enough that crop was empty the following morning.

Took her another week before she really started to eat regularly again. But my hen is still with us. She one angry, grumpy hen. And I don't know if that's a result of her illness or the fact that I've got 6 6-month old hens running around making her life crazy.

But that's what worked for me.

Currently she isn't eating at all. I forced a little water into her mouth and she happily swallowed it and then started moving her crop weirdly which I assume was her trying to move the food down... And I tried to offer a tiny bit of apple hoping that it would be more tempting than the water and hydrate her a bit more... But again I had to force it into her mouth and lost several pieces before successfully getting one in and again she happily swallowed it... I keep checking in on her and feeling her crop... It might have gotten a tiny bit smaller than when we first brought her in, but I'm afraid she is really dehydrated and struggling to get her to drink anything, I'm sure I couldn't get her to swallow a pill even if I wrapped it in a raisin...

Currently she isn't eating at all. I forced a little water into her mouth and she happily swallowed it and then started moving her crop weirdly which I assume was her trying to move the food down... And I tried to offer a tiny bit of apple hoping that it would be more tempting than the water and hydrate her a bit more... But again I had to force it into her mouth and lost several pieces before successfully getting one in and again she happily swallowed it... I keep checking in on her and feeling her crop... It might have gotten a tiny bit smaller than when we first brought her in, but I'm afraid she is really dehydrated and struggling to get her to drink anything, I'm sure I couldn't get her to swallow a pill even if I wrapped it in a raisin...

Don't let her eat anything all day. Just let her have water. That should help some of what's in there move out. Make sure you are massaging the crop to to break up what's in there.

And the stool softners are these gel caps so if you split them with a knife, be careful as they are hard, you can squeeze out the red goo in the middle and get her to eat that. Maybe mix it in just a touch of mash or with a banana or applesauce.

I should also mention she doesn't stand, and has very bad balance and when i said she was thin... It is more than just a little thin... I'm afraid I'll lose her.

Last edited:
I should also mention she doesn't stand, and has very bad balance and when i said she was thin... It is more than just a little thin... I'm afraid I'll lose her.
Hmmm, she does sound really weak. I'm so sorry. Sometimes the best thing you can do for them is to let them go. I know it's rough. I've been in your shoes.

I'm sending you a big hug. I'm really sorry.

I'm forcing about half a teaspoon of water in her every few hours, and I just added a little pink Himalayan salt to the water... Someone suggested Gatorade, I have no chance of picking that up though.

How's she doing today?  Any better?

She is still alive... Her crop seemed less full last night, and she perks up after a drink of water, but this morning her crop was full again, I think she must have decided she was hungry last night and ate some bedding, she hasn't touched it all day yesterday so I thought it was safe to let her sleep in it, now she is on a towel so she doesn't eat it. I was worried about her not having any strength so o have her a tiny bit of banana, but she hasn't eaten any really.

Back
Top Bottom