Impacted Crop Diaries

Hello there, I am so glad I found your story about Mindy on the blog site. My Americauna, Thelma has an impacted crop for 2 weeks now. She is also loosing weight because I'm only feeding her wet foods, watermelon, scrambled eggs. Although she's turning her head to the scrambled eggs for the past 2 days. I do add drops of olive oil to her water but I'm going to do what you did and and soak the meal worms in it. Also, I'll give her some chopped tomotoes, wondering if the acidity will break up what's in there. My husband and I have watched a few you tube videos on what others do when there chickens crops become impacted and it is scary. We're afraid she will choke and die in our hands.

This week we took her to a vet and they tried to flush out her crop. They did say a lot of stuff came up, but she is still impacted.

I'm frustrated but I do not want to give up on her. She is such a good chicken.

I would love to connect with you other than this blog. Would you email me and then maybe we can connect through social media as well.

Kindly,
Heidi
[email protected]

Hello there, I am so glad I found your story about Mindy on the blog site. My Americauna, Thelma has an impacted crop for 2 weeks now. She is also loosing weight because I'm only feeding her wet foods, watermelon, scrambled eggs. Although she's turning her head to the scrambled eggs for the past 2 days. I do add drops of olive oil to her water but I'm going to do what you did and and soak the meal worms in it. Also, I'll give her some chopped tomotoes, wondering if the acidity will break up what's in there. My husband and I have watched a few you tube videos on what others do when there chickens crops become impacted and it is scary. We're afraid she will choke and die in our hands.

This week we took her to a vet and they tried to flush out her crop. They did say a lot of stuff came up, but she is still impacted.

I'm frustrated but I do not want to give up on her. She is such a good chicken.

I would love to connect with you other than this blog. Would you email me and then maybe we can connect through social media as well.

Kindly,
Heidi
[email protected]

[COLOR=333333]Hello there, I am so glad I found your story about Mindy on the blog site.  My Americauna, Thelma has an impacted crop for 2 weeks now.  She is also loosing weight because I'm only feeding her wet foods, watermelon, scrambled eggs.  Although she's turning her head to the scrambled eggs for the past 2 days.  I do add drops of olive oil to her water but I'm going to do what you did and and soak the meal worms in it.  Also, I'll give her some chopped tomotoes, wondering if the acidity will break up what's in there.  My husband and I have watched a few you tube videos on what others do when there chickens crops become impacted and it is scary.  We're afraid she will choke and die in our hands.  [/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]This week we took her to a vet and they tried to flush out her crop.  They did say a lot of stuff came up, but she is still impacted. [/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]I'm frustrated but I do not want to give up on her.  She is such a good chicken.  [/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]I would love to connect with you other than this blog.  Would you email me and then maybe we can connect through social media as well.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]Kindly,[/COLOR]
[COLOR=333333]Heidi[/COLOR]
[COLOR=333333][email protected][/COLOR]

I will email you right now

I just read your story! our little girl Rosie has what we believe an impacted crop. we call the feed store and they agree that it sounds like a impacted crop and suggested we give her veg oil and massage her crop but they didn't say anything about bringing her in the house or away from the other birds. I went outside and just gave her some bread soaked in veg oil while trying to fight off the other crazy girls and tried to massage her crop. I'll go out in a little bit and try massaging her again.

B
I just read your story! our little girl Rosie has what we believe an impacted crop.  we call the feed store and they agree that it sounds like a impacted crop and suggested we give her veg oil and massage her crop but they didn't say anything about bringing her in the house or away from the other birds. I went outside and just gave her some bread soaked in veg oil while trying to fight off the other crazy girls and tried to massage her crop. I'll go out in a little bit and try massaging her again.

Bringing her inside will let you monitor exactly what is going into her system. I had to put towels down for Mindy in a crate because she would eat any type of bedding I put in there and it was adding to the problem. I have a feeling we will be seeing a lot of impacted crops in the next couple of months since the vegetation is starting to grow in most areas. If I could do anything differently for Mindy, I would have completely withheld food for the first 24 hours and massaged the DAYLIGHTS out of it. It was a nasty impaction (as you can see from the pictures!) and that probably wouldn't have changed too much but for the basic impaction, withholding food for the first 24hrs will make the body focus on pushing the impaction through. I would definitely bring her in away from anything she can get her greedy little beak on so you can monitor what goes in (and what comes out!). Lots of massaging to break up whatever it is that's trapped in there. Most people don't take their chickens as seriously as most of us here on BYC do so I'm not surprised the feed store didn't make a big deal about anything. When I went to my feed store for anyibiotic help for Mindy last week they scoffed and asked me how important she was and I should probably just "get rid of her" since she's such a "problem". They are usually dealing with clients who have no problem culling and calling it a day. Me, not so much!!

we moved her into our shed to the spot we had sectioned off where we kept them as babies and only put newspapers down with water and bread soaked in oil. She actually seems a little more lively then she did over the weekend. I'll go out in a little bit and give her a good massage, my husband is out in the shed (or as I'm calling it now the I.C.U) with her now.

Haha! Chicken ICU! I love it! That's a great idea to lay the newspaper down. Definitely don't give her anything solid until a few days after the crop is totally empty. Check it every morning before she eats so you can get a good idea of what its status is.

she seems a little better today, her crop was still hard this morning but it seemed smaller then yesterday. it is now not hard but soft, so either she is on the mend or maybe now she's got sour crop :( she is very perky though and is pooping lots. poop is watery green sometimes and then other times the regular color with the white but runny, not formed. I did see fibrous stuff in the poop earlier today so I'm hoping its green because maybe grass was causing the issue. hoping that tomorrow her crop will be good in the morning.

That sounds like she's moving in the right direction quickly! Let's keep our fingers crossed for an empty crop in the morning!! I think she will be normal in the morning, I hope I'm right!

Back
Top Bottom