Impacted crop in chickens vs ducks

Matilda84

Chirping
Feb 6, 2024
Hi there!
I had someone ask a question on a reply I wrote about sour crop and impacted crop in chickens, asking if ducks could get these issues too. I informed them that yes ducks can also get the same crop issues as chickens. But this started me thinking about it, and impacted crop in chickens is often caused by the birds eating too much long grass and blocking up the crop so that food can't move into the proventriculus and be digested. However don't ducks naturally eat stringy fibrous materials of this kind? Like aqautic plants and things? And obviously this doesn't cause them to get impacted crop, whereas in chickens it might if they ate similar material? So my question is, are there anatomical (or other) differences in a ducks crop/digestive system that allow them to eat this kind of material without as much risk of impaction as in chickens? And if so are ducks therefore less likely in general to get impacted crop than chickens?

If anyone knows it would be great, I have been wondering about this for days!

So my question is, are there anatomical (or other) differences in a ducks crop/digestive system that allow them to eat this kind of material without as much risk of impaction as in chickens?
Anatomically, they are a different shape. The duck's crop looks most like a, white the chicken's looks most like b.
https://www.researchgate.net/figure...-cormorant-Phalacrocorax-carbo_fig1_301358234
crop_duck_1.png

And if so are ducks therefore less likely in general to get impacted crop than chickens?
Great question. Maybe?

Attachments

• 3_Kieroczyk.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom