Impacted Crop, Marek's Disease, Predator Attack or Something Else Entirely?

MissKitty99

Hatching
Apr 24, 2020
I am concerned about bumps these chicks have on their wings and a large lump they each have on the same sides of their neck/shoulder. One of them has a bottom that looks very red as well. I have only had them in my care for a couple of hours. I am unsure how sick they maybe or if I can nurse them to health.

A member of my family was given some chicks, but decided that he could not raise them in the neighborhood he lives in because there are so many street dogs and other predators roaming. I do not know why he took them in the first place, but he wanted them gone and knew that I had chicks so it became my responsibility to take them in. Due to limited space inside, I was unable to pick his chicks up until today, after I moved mine into a coop (mine are older, have their adult feathers, and the weather is warm enough where I am). Today was a week and a half after hearing about his chicks.

I do not know how long he had them before telling me of them, I am unsure of their age. I was under the impression that he had been keeping his chicks indoors with access to food and water but I was mistaken. These chicks have been outside since he got them, possibly before then. They were given a bit of food, I do not know if they had any access to water or not. Originally, there were four but two of them went missing within the previous two nights. The remaining two that are now in my care are now under a heat lamp with food and water. The food I used for my older chicks is Dumor Poultry 24% Chick Starter for ages 0-6 weeks. What I had left of that was mixed with chick grit. The food I was given with the younger chicks is Dumor Poultry 20% Chick Starter/Grower. So I mixed the two together for them. The water they have now is mixed with a bit of apple cider vinegar. They are under a heat lamp and when I last checked, one of them was panting a bit so I moved the lamp up some.

My older group of chicks were not very problematic for my first flock ever, but these little guys have me doubting my ability to care for them. The lumps seem bigger irl than in the photos, but that could be the angle i see them at without picking them up. They are redder as well. On Chick 1's wings, the bumps look like little red raw spots, the bumps are harder to see. Any and all advice, tips, or suggestions are appreciated.

Chick 2 looks worse than 1 so I added those photos first.

Chick 2 lump.jpg
Chick 2 wing bumps.jpg
Chick 2 bum.jpg

Chick 1
Chick 1 lump.jpg

Chick 1 wings.jpg

Chick 1 bum.jpg

An update: they are both laying in a strange position with one leg spread out, the other curled under their bodies. One of them was panting but I cannot move the light any higher so i moved it back as much as I can, which is not very far. Should I start turning the light on and off periodically so they don't overheat? I don't know what else I could do.

Edit: I don't know if this strange position is to compensate for the lumps on their necks or what.

I am concerned about bumps these chicks have on their wings and a large lump they each have on the same sides of their neck/shoulder. One of them has a bottom that looks very red as well. I have only had them in my care for a couple of hours. I am unsure how sick they maybe or if I can nurse them to health.

A member of my family was given some chicks, but decided that he could not raise them in the neighborhood he lives in because there are so many street dogs and other predators roaming. I do not know why he took them in the first place, but he wanted them gone and knew that I had chicks so it became my responsibility to take them in. Due to limited space inside, I was unable to pick his chicks up until today, after I moved mine into a coop (mine are older, have their adult feathers, and the weather is warm enough where I am). Today was a week and a half after hearing about his chicks.

I do not know how long he had them before telling me of them, I am unsure of their age. I was under the impression that he had been keeping his chicks indoors with access to food and water but I was mistaken. These chicks have been outside since he got them, possibly before then. They were given a bit of food, I do not know if they had any access to water or not. Originally, there were four but two of them went missing within the previous two nights. The remaining two that are now in my care are now under a heat lamp with food and water. The food I used for my older chicks is Dumor Poultry 24% Chick Starter for ages 0-6 weeks. What I had left of that was mixed with chick grit. The food I was given with the younger chicks is Dumor Poultry 20% Chick Starter/Grower. So I mixed the two together for them. The water they have now is mixed with a bit of apple cider vinegar. They are under a heat lamp and when I last checked, one of them was panting a bit so I moved the lamp up some.

My older group of chicks were not very problematic for my first flock ever, but these little guys have me doubting my ability to care for them. The lumps seem bigger irl than in the photos, but that could be the angle i see them at without picking them up. They are redder as well. On Chick 1's wings, the bumps look like little red raw spots, the bumps are harder to see. Any and all advice, tips, or suggestions are appreciated.

Chick 2 looks worse than 1 so I added those photos first.

View attachment 2106679View attachment 2106680View attachment 2106681

Chick 1
View attachment 2106683
View attachment 2106685
View attachment 2106686
Im not a professional and im not 100% sure, but from my 8 years experience, that lump looks like an over full crop. They have to have grit/sand/pebbles to help digest their food. These look like meat birds to me. They will gorge themselves. We raised some once. Scary. They grow sooo fast. They are bred specifically for breast meat. Their breasts will grow quickly, they will become “front heavy” and they’re not very active. Cornish rock cross. Google it. Theyre growth rate is something like 25% faster than regular chics. Bred to be slaughtered around 12-14 weeks. When we got “meat birds” we had no idea. It was kinda awful actually. They ate nonstop mostly while laying down. Their feet get big.
These dont look very old either. But theyre big.
Again, that lump looks like an overfilled crop to me. Too much food. Not much water or sand/dirt to help digest.
good luck 😞

Thank you for your response. I know they were not getting any grit before. I can try to cut down on their food consumption and make sure that what they do eat has grit in it. I was confused by their size as well upon seeing them because they are young but definitely bigger than my chicks were at around the same age. lol I will do some more research on that breed as well, thank you for the advice.

Thank you for your response. I know they were not getting any grit before. I can try to cut down on their food consumption and make sure that what they do eat has grit in it. I was confused by their size as well upon seeing them because they are young but definitely bigger than my chicks were at around the same age. lol I will do some more research on that breed as well, thank you for the advice.
Absolutely!! 😁 Raising meat birds is way different than regular chics. If we ever do that again, we will be more prepared. It was different 😏
Good luck. The folks on here have answered my questions over the years, even when I hadn’t asked!! There’s almost always someone else that has same issue/question/information im looking for. Plus all the happy posts! Its time for me to give back what knowledge i can. ❤️

So I definitely overreacted to their crops being swollen because they are fine now. I will continue to monitor them though, just to be safe. Never saw that with my older chicks. Now I need to figure out what those bumps on their wings may be. I put diatomaceous earth in their bedding in case of mites.

To me it (wing bumps) just look like areas that aren't completely feathered in yet. I raised cornish cross exactly once and they are freakish. Some of them never feather properly which I guess is so they are easier to pluck.
Mine did great ranging outside. They acted like normal chickens if a bit lazy and not too bright.

Okay, thank you. They seem healthy otherwise. Yeah, these little guys are funny and pretty lazy. My older chicks would flock to one corner when I would clean their enclosure but these guys run in my way all the time. If I go to move the feeder, they'll run straight for it like its their last chance to eat ever lol

Back
Top Bottom