Impacted crop?

Larson Chicks

In the Brooder
May 17, 2015
East Idaho

My gold sex link showed up like this yesterday. I've read and looked at pictures and pretty sure it's impacted crop. Gave her 1/4 tsp of mineral oil and massaged her tonight and Separated her from food. Just making sure I'm right. Of course she's the one I've bonded with. Thanks

Give two docusate sodium 100mg capsules this is a stool softener which you can buy at any pharmacy , followed buy 4cc of red wine which acts as a laxative and helps move things along , this will not harm your hen and is non toxic , provided a slice of watermelon for added hydration and give this asap then cheak your hens crop next morning if its still impacted give another dose also give another dose to her just before bed and I assure you he crop will go down eventually but it can take up to four days. Sometimes if an innpation is sever , please don't try to vomit your bird as it won't help and can kill her buy accidental aspiration , don't give apple cider vinegar as it will agravate this condition and make you hen develope sour crop , do give a probiotic capsule to her or buy probiotics for chickens an excellent one is called big ole bird made buy southland organics , massage her crop several times per day in a downward motion , good luck to you and let me know how it goes!

Thanks. This morning it was almost all gone and where she was kept was covered in foul smelling feces. It's back done tonight and I believe some others might have it, very slight though. Gave bread crumbles coated with mineral oil tonight. Is there a way to prevent this?

Last edited:
Impacted crop could be caused from a fungal infection in the crop.
You can treat fungal infection with acidified Copper Sulfate 0.5 gram/liter drinking water for 5 days. To prevent Fungal infection you need to practice a strict bio security in your cup, and you should give some probiotics to your chickens, fermented feed (lactic fermentation only!) is a good source for probiotic! You can add to your chicken feed, 2 tablespoon/kilogram feed of hot chilly, or hot Paprika.
The Capsaicin is one of the strongest natural anti pathogens subsistent .

Back
Top Bottom