Impacted crop

So, is fluffer face doing good?
Health wise she’s doing amazing back with the flock (she’s the Queen again) but she is having a pretty bad molt right now. I cleaned the coop right after I took this with all the illnesses with my flock I’ve been cleaning a lot. She lost her tail and many feathers but her pretty black feathers are coming back not her brownish ones!

Attachments

• 6518AE85-6B4F-4452-8A47-BBB1B9123B43.jpeg
    6518AE85-6B4F-4452-8A47-BBB1B9123B43.jpeg
    780.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 5B227E39-80B9-4484-BCD3-7C6D765C2611.jpeg
    5B227E39-80B9-4484-BCD3-7C6D765C2611.jpeg
    921.5 KB · Views: 4
How is your hen doing? It seems I’m in a very similar boat with my hen. Got X-rays at the vet, confirmed she has impacted crop, vet recommended surgery but I can’t spend $300 to do that right now. So I tried giving her coconut oil and massaging, just like you’ve been doing. How is your hen’s weight? Has she lost a lot of it? My hen has, and stopped laying like a week ago. I’m not sure she’ll last the night. I hope your hen is fairing better, and that you can find a solution for her soon.

How is your hen doing? It seems I’m in a very similar boat with my hen. Got X-rays at the vet, confirmed she has impacted crop, vet recommended surgery but I can’t spend $300 to do that right now. So I tried giving her coconut oil and massaging, just like you’ve been doing. How is your hen’s weight? Has she lost a lot of it? My hen has, and stopped laying like a week ago. I’m not sure she’ll last the night. I hope your hen is fairing better, and that you can find a solution for her soon.
Poor thing! Good luck with her.

She’s acting fine but she’s not really eating and has lost a lot of weight. The oil stopped helping but her crop has gone down it’s just still full in the morning and slowly empty’s throughout the day. She’s gotten quite skinny ☹️ and I’m starting to worry a lot about her. Thank you I hope your hen gets better as Well!

She’s acting fine but she’s not really eating and has lost a lot of weight. The oil stopped helping but her crop has gone down it’s just still full in the morning and slowly empty’s throughout the day. She’s gotten quite skinny ☹️ and I’m starting to worry a lot about her. Thank you I hope your hen gets better as Well!
Unfortunately she passed this morning. :( Turns out she also had coccidiosis along with the impacted crop, which is why she went downhill so fast. She was already weak from not absorbing nutrients effectively from the impacted crop, and the cocci bacteria took advantage of a weak host. If you haven’t already, I highly suggest checking your girl for cocci by bringing a poop sample to the vet for a fecal float.

Unfortunately she passed this morning. :( Turns out she also had coccidiosis along with the impacted crop, which is why she went downhill so fast. She was already weak from not absorbing nutrients effectively from the impacted crop, and the cocci bacteria took advantage of a weak host. If you haven’t already, I highly suggest checking your girl for cocci by bringing a poop sample to the vet for a fecal float.
I’m so sorry! Yes I had a hen about a week ago with coccidosis so the whole flock has already been treated. I don’t really think she is eating.

I am very sorry for you and your hen. :hugs

Do you think we should try surgery based on her condition?

Do you think we should try surgery based on her condition?
If IT worsens, I went outside to watch her and stayed out there for a while and I saw her eating and drinking. She lost a little more weight since a week ago but it’s not like a deadly weight loss. I also don’t think I could do that. How do you even go about doing that without hurting them?

If IT worsens, I went outside to watch her and stayed out there for a while and I saw her eating and drinking. She lost a little more weight since a week ago but it’s not like a deadly weight loss. I also don’t think I could do that. How do you even go about doing that without hurting them?
From what I saw, you make a small cut by her crop, and cut in her crop, and then you use tweezers and take away the grass, or whatever clogged it up in the first place.

Back
Top Bottom