Impacted crop

marika_ouellet

In the Brooder
May 6, 2022
My (not yet laying) Lavender Orpington seems to have an Impacted crop.
Yesterday afternoon, I noticed it was hanging very low, when I touched it, it felts very soft like full of liquid and I could hear gurgles. We gave her some olive oil and a massage.
This morning, it isn't as enlarged as yesterday but it is still full. It feels like one of those stress relief balls full of sand? I gave her some coconut oil (after reading here I read it was easier than to force olive oil in her) and a massage and placed her in isolation with only water.
These are 2 poops she did within a minute of each other (lumpy one first, liquid one second). Picture of her outside was yesterday and the one inside is from this morning.
Aside from giving her more coconut oil and massages today, can I do anything else?
20220910_063730.jpg

Attachments

• 20220910_063724.jpg
    20220910_063724.jpg
    396.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 20220910_063425.jpg
    20220910_063425.jpg
    500.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 20220909_135001.jpg
    20220909_135001.jpg
    861.4 KB · Views: 9
Withhold food for 24 hours, give her coconut oil see if the blockage will pass, if it does, give her scrambled eggs with lots of grit for a few days to make sure her crop remains clear.
Yes she is in a cage with the other chickens with only water. Can I expect some improvement today?

Do you provide grit (crushed granite) for your flock? If you don't, then I recommend that you do.

Since the crop feels like it has sand, then she may have been eating sand or soil. I would not add grit to anything she eats, do provide a small amount free choice, she may pick up a piece of two. Let her decide.

Water should be provided during waking hours.

I'd keep up with the coconut oil. A watery fluid filled crop, I don't massage. You risk aspiration.
It wouldn't hurt to go ahead and begin treating for sour crop, but the time you start smelling an odor, the infection is usually advanced.

See how it goes and what comes out. If she seems completely impacted, then you can give a molasses flush (1tsp molasses mixed into 1/4cup warm water, she should drink it all). Flushes can be dehydrating, so she needs access to fresh water after she drinks the molasses water.

Often it takes time (days) to see results, so be patient and continue with treatment.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Do you provide grit (crushed granite) for your flock? If you don't, then I recommend that you do.

Since the crop feels like it has sand, then she may have been eating sand or soil. I would not add grit to anything she eats, do provide a small amount free choice, she may pick up a piece of two. Let her decide.

Water should be provided during waking hours.

I'd keep up with the coconut oil. A watery fluid filled crop, I don't massage. You risk aspiration.
It wouldn't hurt to go ahead and begin treating for sour crop, but the time you start smelling an odor, the infection is usually advanced.

See how it goes and what comes out. If she seems completely impacted, then you can give a molasses flush (1tsp molasses mixed into 1/4cup warm water, she should drink it all). Flushes can be dehydrating, so she needs access to fresh water after she drinks the molasses water.

Often it takes time (days) to see results, so be patient and continue with treatment.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
I have re-read that article for the 5th time.
Since her crop feels squisky, it could probably be sour crop. If I treat with miconazole cream + probiotic, I still let her access her food? Should I do crop massage daily? And I understand that I need to treat for the full 7 days. I should see an improvement?

Can I do a molasse flush tomorrow morning and then give her access to food and water as usual ( I can even give her like vitamin water, I have some nutri-drench) and then also start treatment for a sour crop?

I'm just not sure which one I am dealing with. He crop isn't hard at all like they describe an impacted crop to be. When I massage her, I can even hear some liquid (she had access to water all day and I gave her a scrambled egg with coconut oil mixed in).

I have re-read that article for the 5th time.
Since her crop feels squisky, it could probably be sour crop. If I treat with miconazole cream + probiotic, I still let her access her food? Should I do crop massage daily? And I understand that I need to treat for the full 7 days. I should see an improvement?

Can I do a molasse flush tomorrow morning and then give her access to food and water as usual ( I can even give her like vitamin water, I have some nutri-drench) and then also start treatment for a sour crop?

I'm just not sure which one I am dealing with. He crop isn't hard at all like they describe an impacted crop to be. When I massage her, I can even hear some liquid (she had access to water all day and I gave her a scrambled egg with coconut oil mixed in).
I don't withhold food, but some do. That's up to you, but she does need access to water during waking hours.

Miconazole treatment is twice a day for 7 days.

You can give a flush if you think there's a blockage and yes, provide fresh water and bit of wet feed afterward. Or that's what I'd do when giving a flush.

Improvement may come with time, again, there's no guarantees when treating a crop. As mentioned in the article and numerous times in threads, a crop problem can often be the result of an underlying condition (reproductive, worms, coccidiosis, infection, etc.)

Back
Top Bottom