Impacted crop

In case anyone is interested, my husband put her down yesterday and removed the contents of the crop afterwards.  It was a huge mass of long either weed type grasses or straw.  I can't imagine why she'd eat straw though.  It was at least 2 cups worth.  I could barely pull it apart outside of her, it's no wonder I couldn't get it to break up inside of her.  I lost a bird but it's not a loss, I gained some more knowledge through all of this.  Thanks

I'm sorry for your loss, but it is definitely a huge learning experience. Many chickens will have a lot better chance at making it now! She died a hero :)
All the best.x

Last edited:
At the beginning of this tread, there is this link to TwoCrows article--be sure to use the stool softener doccusate sodium (same as Colace)by Dulcolax--not Bisacodyl, which is a powerful laxative:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/impacted-slow-and-sour-crops-prevention-and-treatments
thanks...I think the underlying condition for her impacted crop is egg bound. My hen layed a striped odd shaped egg sometime during the night and a soft shelled egg in the cage this afternoon. Her poop was also very runny and stinky. Her crop feels about half down from this morning. I will read through that link in its entirety. Thanks again.

Water is key, especially if she's having egg laying issues. Lots of water (15ml per pound at least twice a day) and a little calcium (50 mg per pound once or twice a day) might do her some good. Let me know if you want to learn how to tube fluids.

-Kathy

Last edited:
Water is key, especially if she's having egg laying issues. Lots of water (15ml per pound at least twice a day) and a little calcium (50 mg per pound once or twice a day) might do her some good. Let me know if you want to learn how to tube fluids.

-Kathy
I would love to learn that. I dont have an avian vet in my area and need to learn all I can. I have started accumulating first aid supplies for my flock also. Thank you!!

Quote: Check out this thread:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/805728/go-team-tube-feeding

Then let me know if you still want to learn.
big_smile.png

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom