Impacted crop

I do but some people cannot to this, so I give them the option of putting it in food.

OP, I have found that if you catch these things early enough, the bird is well enough to drink on their own and don't need to be tube fed water. These birds generally recuperate well.

However birds that have had this condition going on too long, tend not to drink and the outcome of survival is not as high. These types you will need to tube water into them.

The longer a bird has been sick, the higher chance of dying.

@Michelle2639 , open beak, insert pill(s) at back of tongue and she should swallow them. If she doesn't, you can massage them down into her crop.

-Kathy

Ok, I gave her the stool softener at 10:30am and I've massaged her crop a few times since then. She has pooped a little. I haven't seen her drink anything but I'm keeping an eye on the water level. Here's a couple poop pics. Definitely not normal yet but the crop is feeling a tiny bit squishier.

Good. Squishy is good. This stuff takes a while to break down what ever is in there. Give her 2 more doses this afternoon. She looks healthy enough that she can drink on her own. Don't be feeding her anything. Her hunger will cause her to drink more water than she normally would. Keep massaging the crop to keep breaking it down.

Tomorrow morning first thing, give her another 2 doses. IF her crop is half of what it is today, you can give her a tiny bit of food. Soft foods only like hard boiled eggs, yogurt, mashed potatoes, mushy oatmeal. Nothing hard and not water soluble. Keep her caged so you can monitor her poop output. And keep massaging the crop every hour. Give her another 2 doses tomorrow afternoon. The crop should be all but clear the following morning.

Keep us posted!! :)

Anytime!! Hopefully this is a simple grass or vegetation impaction. If so, she will be fine in a couple days and good to go about her normal routine.

If something else is causing this like worms, cancer or some other ailment, it could return. But we will cross this bridge when we get there!! :)

Ok, I gave her the stool softener at 10:30am and I've massaged her crop a few times since then. She has pooped a little. I haven't seen her drink anything but I'm keeping an eye on the water level. Here's a couple poop pics. Definitely not normal yet but the crop is feeling a tiny bit squishier.

Sure hope she makes it. Barred Rocks are my favorite. She's a pretty hen. Best of luck with this one!

Last edited:
Thanks. I think she's a pretty one too! She has one funky toe that I think was broken as a chick but it doesn't seem to bother her. Other than the crop issue going on right now, she seems healthy so hopefully, I can get her through this. I have 2 Barred Rocks and 3 Rhode Island Reds. I would like to get a few Buff Orpingtons next.

Thanks. I think she's a pretty one too! She has one funky toe that I think was broken as a chick but it doesn't seem to bother her. Other than the crop issue going on right now, she seems healthy so hopefully, I can get her through this. I have 2 Barred Rocks and 3 Rhode Island Reds. I would like to get a few Buff Orpingtons next.

My original flock consisted of 3 RIRs, 2 Buff Orpingtons, 3 Silver Laced Wyandottes and 2 Barred Rocks. Sadly, they have all gone to that Great Roost in the Sky, having those sucky hatchery genetics, pretty much all dying from internal laying, but I the BRs were my favorite and I have several old heritage line BR hens, a young male and now, as of yesterday, 5 little BR cuties hatched out of Atlas and the hens.

I'm pulling for your girl!

I love BR's too. My first love was Black Australorps but was torn wanting BR's. It wasn't until this this past spring that I added a few BR chicks to my flock! They are so pretty and are just full of personality! They make wonderful lap warmers too. :)

Back
Top Bottom