Impacted crop

I only did the oil thing on that first day. I didn't after I got your info TwoCrows. That's what I've been doing, just dribbling it in the front of her mouth and letting her drink.

Kathy, I've gotten her to drink a little the past couple days. Not a lot but enough that I don't think she's in danger of dehydration yet. I'll keep monitoring the water dish though. Thanks
A five pound chicken needs no less than 115ml of fluids per day. Three times that if they're laying eggs.

-Kathy

What ever water you can get into her will help. See if you can't locate some watermelon at the grocery store. Even a tiny bit of it. Watermelon is nearly all water and won't add to this clog in her crop one bit. See if she will eat a lot of it. It will water her crop really good, won't make matters worse and will help the pills work better. That is the thing with these stool softeners, they need water to really work well.

Oh, and do not let her have ANY grit or oyster shell. If she is hungry, she will gorge on it and clog up the gizzard even more. I am sure her gizzard is clogged too at this point.

The longer this gunk sits in her system, the more likely it will start to rot and cause food poisoning. So do your best to get liquids or very wet food into her to get this clog moving.

Oh, one more thing...has she been wormed recently? If this is a round worm impaction we will have a very difficult time in moving this clog. Is she thin at her breast bone? Always a good indication of worms.

Keep us posted! I am pulling for this sweet bird!!! :)

Did you know that capillary worms can also cause crop impactions? They don't cause an actual blockage, but they can damage the intestines to the point where the walls are thickened and nothing moves through like it should. So many things that could cause it...

-Kathy

I'll stop after work and get her some watermelon TwoCrows. No, she hasn't been wormed. I've never seen any signs of worms in any of the 5 of m birds and I routinely add the ACV to their water once a week and sprinkle in some DE with their food when I fill it. I felt her breast bone and the only place I can really feel bone is right in the middle where it comes to a point. Is that normal? I'll go ahead and treat for worms after I can get her crop emptied. I've managed to get quite a bit of water in her this morning. I can hear it sloshing a little when I massage the crop. What do you recommend for a good all around de-wormer? Kathy, I've never heard of capillary worms so, no, I didn't know that they can cause a crop impaction. The girls are allowed to free range when it's nice weather and not too much snow on the ground. They got to this past weekend so I'm thinking that's when she must have gorged herself on some long grasses. I haven't gotten a ton of poop out of her this morning but 3 small ones so I'm not losing hope yet. I'll keep doing what I can, that's all I can do.

If she is really thin, the breast bone will really be sticking out like the keel on a ship. Compare her breast bone to your other birds.

A good wormer would be either Safeguard Liquid Goat wormer or Valbazen. Either of these will take care of everything the bird might have. DE and ACV do not worm the birds. ACV is a great health tonic for the birds, however DE when it gets wet in the system loses it quality of sharpness and does not kill internal bugs. It works great however dusted around the coop to keep the bugs down or on the birds themselves. It is very dusty however and always use a mask to protect your lungs.

And yes, long grass is always a culprit to crop impactions. Gets them every time. The long grass winds around and around in the crop and gizzard. So make sure to keep the grass cut short or keep the birds out of areas with tall grass or really stiff vegetation.

Treating for capillary worms with Safeguard requires worming 5 days in a row with 0.23ml per pound. Valbazen is easier to use, but you would probably have to order it. Valbazen dose is 0.08ml per pound once and repeat in ten days. Do you have a way to way her?

-Kathy

Note that the one day worming with 1/2 cc Safeguard that many choose to do will *not* treat capillary worms. It will treat roundworms, maybe cecal worm, but not capillary worms.

-Kathy

I'll stop after work and get her some watermelon TwoCrows. No, she hasn't been wormed. I've never seen any signs of worms in any of the 5 of m birds and I routinely add the ACV to their water once a week and sprinkle in some DE with their food when I fill it. I felt her breast bone and the only place I can really feel bone is right in the middle where it comes to a point. Is that normal? I'll go ahead and treat for worms after I can get her crop emptied. I've managed to get quite a bit of water in her this morning. I can hear it sloshing a little when I massage the crop. What do you recommend for a good all around de-wormer? Kathy, I've never heard of capillary worms so, no, I didn't know that they can cause a crop impaction. The girls are allowed to free range when it's nice weather and not too much snow on the ground. They got to this past weekend so I'm thinking that's when she must have gorged herself on some long grasses. I haven't gotten a ton of poop out of her this morning but 3 small ones so I'm not losing hope yet. I'll keep doing what I can, that's all I can do.
How is she this evening?? :)

Back
Top Bottom