Impacted crop

Devote the WHOLE DAY to her, sit with her and read a book in between massages, dont go anywhere and you will prevail.
You will like you are harrassing her and stressing her out with the constant holding and feeding and watering, but if you talk to her in between and give her 5 minutes breaks on your lap, shell get less stressed about you doing it. X

I tried to post something earlier but I guess it didn't post for some reason.
So, today I was able to get about 120 ml's of water down my girl and massaged all day. Unfortunately, I think there's something in there that isn't going to come out. There are a lot of bigger hard objects that I feel in there and I haven't been able to get anything to move through to the gizzard. She hasn't eaten in days and her breath is just awful.
I'm definitely going to make a chicken first aid kit and get some of the catheter tubing to have on hand. I'm willing to try tubing to hydrate and get liquid into the crop but I live in the boonies and the one super store I went to today didn't have any.
My girl is probably going to be put down tomorrow. I don't want her suffering and I know how much I've tried to get this to work it's way through. I won't do at home surgery on her and even though I love my chickens, I won't be taking her to a vet. I will, however, learn from this. I have already started doing daily crop checks on the other girls. I'm also going to have my husband open up the crop and gizzard and try to find out what the problem was.
I will definitely be doing a worming on the other 4 girls as a precautionary measure.
The morning will tell my girl's fate. Thank you for all of your input and advice. I can't tell you how much it means to me.
I'll update sometime tomorrow.
Michelle

I could not bring myself to syringe 2/3 vinegar 1/3 water mixture into a chicken. That would be very bitter....

No no no, 1 part vinegar, 2 parts water....combined.
And the acidity isn't so bad, I caught my chickens eating rotted cider apples last year that I'd by accidentally left out. They would have been so rank and bitter,but they were wolfing them down like there was no tomorrow.
Secondly, I think chickens like bitter, acid stuff more than you think, you know the incredibly bitter white part of a pommegranate? The bit where if you so much a s get a tiny bit in your mouth it causing you spit spit furiously like like a camel?
Well my chickens ABSOLUTELY love it. I eat the seeds and then walk a round garden throwing little bits everywhere, and they fight to the death for them.
Chickens are weird..

I tried to post something earlier but I guess it didn't post for some reason. 
So, today I was able to get about 120 ml's of water down my girl and massaged all day.  Unfortunately, I think there's something in there that isn't going to come out.  There are a lot of bigger hard objects that I feel in there and I haven't been able to get anything to move through to the gizzard.  She hasn't eaten in days and her breath is just awful. 
I'm definitely going to make a chicken first aid kit and get some of the catheter tubing to have on hand.  I'm willing to try tubing to hydrate and get liquid into the crop but I live in the boonies and the one super store I went to today didn't have any. 
My girl is probably going to be put down tomorrow.  I don't want her suffering and I know how much I've tried to get this to work it's way through.  I won't do at home surgery on her and even though I love my chickens, I won't be taking her to a vet.  I will, however, learn from this.  I have already started doing daily crop checks on the other girls.  I'm also going to have my husband open up the crop and gizzard and try to find out what the problem was. 
I will definitely be doing a worming on the other 4 girls as a precautionary measure. 
The morning will tell my girl's fate. Thank you for all of your input and advice.  I can't tell you how much it means to me.
I'll update sometime tomorrow. 
Michelle

Tubing sounds like a good idea, I never got to the point where I needed to do it.
Just keep massaging all the time, tubing sounds pretty simple, just put a little bit of water in first, tiny tiny, just to make sure it's in hone right hole..
Good luck, be positive!
X

I didn't read all the posts maybe someone else mention force puking.
I had a EEgr with a bound crop, hers was soft though, and HUGE. I thought she was just growing faster than the others. When I realized something was wrong I picked her up and she pucked a little, gross. I Googled her symptoms and read a article by the chicken chick on puking a chicken. I held her upside down and gently massaged and forced out some puke and let her up for air. Repeated untill it was harder and used a little more force, figured it was going to die anyway if I didn't get the blockage out, she was full of hay and food. At one point I think she did die, had a wad of hay that took awhile to gently pull out of her throat and mouth, she did the death flop, performed chicken cpr and she came back. There was probably a softball size pile of hay and gook that came out of her crop. Isolated her and fed her only Greek yogurt and water for a couple days. She lived! Her sagy stretched out crop went back to normal and she now is laying nice green spotted eggs. Don't know if this will help, but if your out of options maybe it's worth a try?

Back
Top Bottom