Impacted/sour crop in week old chick (?)

Sberrie

Songster
May 3, 2019
Delaware
I have a little mille fleur d'uccle that I got a week ago. Since I got her she's been acting much differently than the rest of the chicks, including the other d'uccle I ordered. Today when I picked her up, she had a stream of sticky, mostly clear liquid come out of her beak. This little girl is only about the size of a silver dollar but her crop is puffed up. When I touched it, she had more fluid come up. She also keeps "licking her chops", standing up to sleep, and stretching her neck up.
I just mixed in some apple cider vinegar in their water and they have grit.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. She's a little fighter.
Pic is her and her sister

Attachments

• 20190513_133751.jpg
    20190513_133751.jpg
    429.8 KB · Views: 11
I have a little mille fleur d'uccle that I got a week ago. Since I got her she's been acting much differently than the rest of the chicks, including the other d'uccle I ordered. Today when I picked her up, she had a stream of sticky, mostly clear liquid come out of her beak. This little girl is only about the size of a silver dollar but her crop is puffed up. When I touched it, she had more fluid come up. She also keeps "licking her chops", standing up to sleep, and stretching her neck up.
I just mixed in some apple cider vinegar in their water and they have grit.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. She's a little fighter.
Pic is her and her sister

Any body have any advice?
I've vomited her a few times and she's had quite a bit of mucus-like stuff.
What are you feeding her?
Is she able to poop - is her butt free of pasting?

How are you brooding your chicks - with a light, heat pad/heat plate?
Any bedding in the brooder?

I would not vomit her again, you risk her aspirating on fluids.
You may want to remove food and any bedding (shavings) from the brooder overnight to see if the crop empties. Hopefully she is just a pig and nothing is too wrong.
If it's still full in the morning, then I would give her a little coconut or mineral oil to see if that helps get things moving.

It's unusual for a chick that young to have a crop issue - she may have a blockage somewhere or possibly a internal developmental problem.

What are you feeding her?
Is she able to poop - is her butt free of pasting?

How are you brooding your chicks - with a light, heat pad/heat plate?
Any bedding in the brooder?

I would not vomit her again, you risk her aspirating on fluids.
You may want to remove food and any bedding (shavings) from the brooder overnight to see if the crop empties. Hopefully she is just a pig and nothing is too wrong.
If it's still full in the morning, then I would give her a little coconut or mineral oil to see if that helps get things moving.

It's unusual for a chick that young to have a crop issue - she may have a blockage somewhere or possibly a internal developmental problem.
Organic chick crumble, she had been pooping although I haven't seen her go lately. They have a red 250 watt heat lamp, it's about 93 in there.
There are shavings in there now but I'm going to take them out.
I've felt a little hard object in her crop that the others do not have.
The problem with trying to give her anything is that she is SO ridiculously small that I can't find a syringe small enough to water her. I know it is unusual for her to have an issue but I, the dept of agriculture, and the hatchery I ordered her from all think she may have ingested some of the padding used in shipping.

Organic chick crumble, she had been pooping although I haven't seen her go lately. They have a red 250 watt heat lamp, it's about 93 in there.
There are shavings in there now but I'm going to take them out.
I've felt a little hard object in her crop that the others do not have.
The problem with trying to give her anything is that she is SO ridiculously small that I can't find a syringe small enough to water her. I know it is unusual for her to have an issue but I, the dept of agriculture, and the hatchery I ordered her from all think she may have ingested some of the padding used in shipping.
Can you get some 1cc syringes? If not and you want to get fluids into her use a qtip - dip it in your water and press it against the side of her beak, let the fluid sort of run around the outside and she will take it in.

Some chicks are tiny! I usually sit down at the kitchen table, put down a towel and stand your chick on the towel. Hold/capture the chick in one hand while it's standing, you have more control over it that way and don't have to worry about it squirming around and possibly dropping it. (or at least that's what works for me)

So you think it ate some of the liner from the shipping box - what did they use that coconut looking stuff or was it some type of paper? There's not a lot that can be done, she's got grit, I would keep her drinking and offer wet chick starter instead of dry. Maybe give her a drop of coconut or mineral oil, hopefully what's in there will start to break down.

She is doing worse and worse. I've tried all of the above. She's fighting but she won't eat and is barely drinking. Poor little girl

Back
Top Bottom