In memory of Reebok

CluckinA

Chirping
6 Years
Sep 8, 2016
upstate NY
Our German shepherd has lived peacefully with our flock for months, unsupervised and the like. She and the maturing rooster had had their little chase you stuff but there were never any teeth, just play. I guess we forgot she was a dog because she killed my buddy Reebok and when I found her she was eating him. My girlfriend and I were sobbing, he was our pet and we loved him and now I feel betrayed by our dog. I know she isn't human but I can't help but hate her a little. I didn't ever want a rooster but Meyer hatchery messed up and our tiniest chick grew into a ten pound too. Point of my post: no matter how good your dog is, they shouldn't be left alone with your chickens.
In memory of Reebok, I am so sorry buddy
bok.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2019.JPG
    IMG_2019.JPG
    644.9 KB · Views: 10
I am super sorry for the loss of Reebok, he sounded like a great roo.

But know this,
It isn't your Dogs falt.
Ok ok, I sound crazy, You may think,"She she was the one who killed him.
Yes, she did, But German Shepards hunt, and a bird looks like easy prey.Her prey instinct kicked in, telling her kill kill kill.
It really Wasnt her falt, it is her instincts.

Don't go to hard on her, she stills loves you.And you know you still love her.

Reebok was such a handsome rooster and so lucky to be loved so much. Of course you will miss him but I have to agree with cluckcluck1215. Your dog was just being a dog and doing what a lot of dogs do. I had a similar experience with two cockerels that I let free range. Our two youngest dogs ignored them completely until one day a light bulb went off in their little doggie brains and they decided to go after the roosters. One escaped, one got roughed up a bit and lost a lot of feathers but lived. It taught me the same lesson that you learned. That still doesn't bring Reebok back.

Think of this. Reebok was with hens? They are still fertile from him. Any way you can hatch out some Reebok sons or daughters so a bit of him lives on for you?

You have my deepest condolences for your loss.

****HUGS!!!***** sooo, sorry, it's heartbreaking to lose a family member! I always let the dogs out to pee, our chickens free range, and hubby is like, "watch them!!!" They never bother the birds when I'm watching, but your experience reminds me that it COULD happen, and I will definitely keep an eye on my pooches when they are out and the chickens are out. Go easy on your pup, it likely started as a play game that ended badly. :(

So sorry for your loss! It's time to work with your dog, so it won't happen again. 'Play' is not what you want to see with your dog and any chicken, ever. They all need to be apart unless you are there with leash in hand, or shock collar controller in hand. Your nice dog can learn to ignore the birds, but it will take effort and time, and separation.
Good luck! Mary

Thanks so much everyone. Sam and the chickens are no longer allowed in the lawn together and she is leashed more often than she is not and she seems to love the guidance. The girls went through a period of grief and we are all now fairly ok and dealing quite well. I will miss his little voice in the morning but I’ll watch over the ladies myself. As for eggs, I don’t think he was coordinated enough to fertilize lol but we shall be ok!

Back
Top Bottom