In Memory of Sidney-Spread the Word

Thank you for sharing Sidneys story. My heart goes out to you and the rest of your furbabies. I will keep this story in mind when my dog wants to romp through the swamps of South Jersey.

Thank you @KelseyBoxer and @Hilltop Flock. Sorry I haven't responded sooner. The last week has been busy here. We had to take down half of the back yard fence so my husband could get our tractor in and use the bucket to bulldoze the dirt into the lagoon and fill it. It was a big job that he spent days working on. Then we had to level, seed, spread straw, put the fence back up and...well you get the picture. It was a tough job but we sleep a little easier knowing that the lagoon is no more.

We plan to plant a tree where the lagoon was in memory of Sidney. Hopefully her siblings will enjoy the shade it will produce for them as it grows.

Update: It has been 6 months since we lost our Sidney. I still miss her and grieve for her but now I can smile when I think of her and not break into tears. Her sister Rocki is just like her and a bit of a bossy boots and when she is bossing around one of her brothers I ask her if she is channeling her sissy.

All four of her sibs are the picture of health, thank God. No signs of the infection that took their sister and the pond that caused her death has been filled and seeded over with grass. I still plan to plant a tree in their play area in memory of Sidney. But at this point on, we have two ponds that are off limits to the dogs and both my husband and I admitted that every time we go near them we think of the potential dangers that lurk in the standing water and how one of them killed our Sid and the desire to even walk around our ponds is completely gone for us.

If there was a way to test and treat the water we would do it but to our knowledge there isn't. It's just one of those hidden dangers that mother nature throws at us at times.

Take care all. Remember Sidney and spread the word.

I'm so sorry for your loss and am sending my love. My friend's dog died on Friday. The symptoms were vomiting and diarrhea, we never found out what was wrong with her as she died while her blood was being taken at the vet. I'll be passing down word of this sickness and from now on keeping my dogs away from sny still water.

My sympathy to your friend, @Alyssa-Bee. And please do. About the only way you will be able to know what is going on is with a necropsy at this point in time. They didn't know for certain what was wrong with our Sid until they did an MRI on her and found the growths.

Pythiosis or Swamp Cancer is prevalent around the coastal areas but they are finding it is moving North more and more. I had never heard of it before but the second vet we took her to had heard of it although at that point in time everyone thought she had swallowed something and had an obstruction.

It's very insidious and usually by the time symptoms are being shown it is too late. I read of a few that survived but only after drastic surgeries and then it is an ongoing struggle to keep the infection at bay and get the dog to gain and maintain weight.

Back
Top Bottom