Status
Not open for further replies.

robbobbin

Songster
12 Years
Jan 28, 2007
Man arrested after yearlong investigation into cockfighting

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

MERRILLVILLE, Ind. - A yearlong investigation into cockfighting in northwestern Indiana led to the arrest of a man who videotaped fights between roosters and framed photos of bloody birds after a fight, police said.

Randall Todd Martin, 45, of rural Lake County, was charged Thursday with staging and promoting an animal fight. His bond was set at $75,000 and he faces a maximum prison term of nine years.

Lake County police Detective Michelle Weaver seized 71 live roosters and hens from the property. An informant told Weaver that Martin filmed and photographed the fights, framing some of the pictures and putting others in photo albums.

Veterinarian Rex Bailey examined the birds and said they had abrasions, lacerations and blood on their wings, neck and body feathers. They exhibited aggression toward each other and many of their beaks had been filed to a sharp point, he said.

The Lake County tactical team contacted Martin's wife, Elizabeth Martin, who said she and her husband don't raise roosters and don't host cockfights.

"If there are any gaffs, they are not mine or my husband's," she said. "If they find any, they could be anybody's."

Police say the couple's daughter, Erika Martin, told them her father raised the chickens for eggs.

Weaver said in a probable cause affidavit that music would be played from Martin's truck during cockfights so that neighbors could not hear screeches coming from his backyard. Weaver said she found in the Martin house 23 copies of "The Gamecock" magazine and 27 copies of "Grit and Steel Magazine," a publication devoted to gamefowl.

I am surprised that they had an investigation that lasted that long. I had no idea this still went on.

WOW, I live in Indiana...and I am SOOOO GLAD they got that one.....when I moved into my home 2 years ago....about a month or so afterwards...someone threw a dyeing fighting cock in my yard.....we tried to save it, but it was so bad torn up....I cant stand that people out ther get a thrill of watching ANY animal kill another. So sad.

Quote:
they have alot of cockfighting in texas. it is very very sad. if you drive along I-10, you'll see houses with lots of triangular shelters approximately 2 feet high, that house just roosters and there'll be about 30-50 of them in their yard....

There's a lot of that in Sonoma & Napa valleys, here in CA. My dad is a sherriff there and says that nearly every place they bust for growing weed they also find cock-fighting arenas and pens. Often, one of the tip-offs is regular "parties" where a lot of cars are in the yard and really loud music is playing. There are also a lot of people who are constantly being busted for raising cocks and dogs for fighting as well.
hmm.png

It really is a disgusting and sick "business", so I'm glad to hear there is one less promoter out there!

Happens all the time here. In fact, the mayor of the next town to me has been arrested twice for betting on cockfights. After the first arrest, he was re-elected. That tells you about the people here. The feedstore caters to them, too, by keeping the products they need. You drive down the highway to my house and I can tell you of at least two or three residences where the roosters on chains are in full view and you know they aren't keeping them for breeding purposes.

Last edited:
That is just horrible! I watch animal cops on Animal Planet and it is so sad when people do something sick...some people are just cruel!
smack.gif
<----I would do that if I saw someone doing this! lol

Police say the couple's daughter, Erika Martin, told them her father raised the chickens for eggs.

WOW, those must be really special roosters!
gig.gif

cookinmom - I think that means no promotion, encouragement, or how-to advice -at least, that's what I thought.​

Last edited:
Guys, the problem with talking about cockfighting comes when the conversation gets too heated because it does bring up some very strong emotions. So, we all know it exists in this world, but we also know that that type of thing is definitely not what BYC is all about.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom