Would you buy giant silkies?

• Yes

Votes: 17 68.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • No

Votes: 4 16.0%

• Total voters
Yeah the second generation will have a high culling ratio but it will also produce some really fibro birds. The 3rd generation should have a high percentage of fully fibro if only breeding the darkest if the second gen.

Yeah the second generation will have a high culling ratio but it will also produce some really fibro birds. The 3rd generation should have a high percentage of fully fibro if only breeding the darkest if the second gen.

I'm not real familiar with all the f1 f2 all the genetics and such. Many on BYC are, as far as feather color and everything. It's all 'greek' to me. If you have any suggestions let me know. I just planned on jumping into it and going by trial and error. See what happens.

I'm not real familiar with all the f1 f2 all the genetics and such. Many on BYC are, as far as feather color and everything. It's all 'greek' to me. If you have any suggestions let me know. I just planned on jumping into it and going by trial and error. See what happens.  

G enetics are not hard if you know which traits are recessive vs. Dominant and then some math. Silkiness is resessive so it will require 2 of the gene while smooth feathers are dominant and only need one. All your f1 gen (silkie roo over JG hens) will have smooth feathers, one gene for silkie and one for norm. They will also have feathered feet, and an extra toe as those are dominant traits.

1218181100.jpg
1218181101.jpg
Look at the size of my Silkie roo, he's just about the same size of my Buff Orpington hen. He's 16 and a half inches tall? He's a big boy. I also got him from the TSC store.

Back
Top Bottom