ChiknforME

Chirping
Apr 13, 2020
When can I keep Cornish x in tractor 24/7 ? With Cornish x when is this possible? Do I need to make a box to lock them in at night? Or just tractor....will have one end Closed in with protection from elements.

Hello! I am not quite sure I understand your question, are you asking if you should lock up your chickens at night? If so, the answer is yes! I would never leave you chickens out in the run over night as they are very susceptible to predators and cold weather.

Hello! I am not quite sure I understand your question, are you asking if you should lock up your chickens at night? If so, the answer is yes! I would never leave you chickens out in the run over night as they are very susceptible to predators and cold weather.
Yes that is what I am asking! So how much locked up space do I need for 35 Cornish cross?

I have 25 square foot tractors and leave the birds in it all night. No reason to make a bedroom for them unless you have severe predator pressures at night. I have 25 birds in each tractor.

I do open during the day for a little more poop coverage, but lock them in at night. They stay close to the tractors. If you are leaving them in 24/7, move when the poop builds. I'd have to move twice a day and don't have that much yard left.

Cheers

I have 25 square foot tractors and leave the birds in it all night. No reason to make a bedroom for them unless you have severe predator pressures at night. I have 25 birds in each tractor.

I do open during the day for a little more poop coverage, but lock them in at night. They stay close to the tractors. If you are leaving them in 24/7, move when the poop builds. I'd have to move twice a day and don't have that much yard left.

Cheers

So ... each bird gets one square foot of space? :eek: Admittedly I know nothing about raising meat birds and I know they don't live very long, but I've been told to allow 4 square feet per bird for layers in my coop or they might have behavioral issues like pecking, bullying or even cannibalism.

So ... each bird gets one square foot of space? :eek: Admittedly I know nothing about raising meat birds and I know they don't live very long, but I've been told to allow 4 square feet per bird for layers in my coop or they might have behavioral issues like pecking, bullying or even cannibalism.
Keep in mind, for 6 weeks, they are not full size chickens. In fact, all 50 were in 1 tractor for 2 weeks until I got uncomfortable - 3 weeks of age with first week in brooder under heat lamp. Poop piles are uncomfortable for me.

Suscovich has guidelines. But yes. This works for me.

After 5-6 weeks, I like opening the tractors to give them access to the backyard. More exercise is good, IMHO. More exercise, more fresh greens, more sunshine, more bugs and more area to poop.

When can I keep Cornish x in tractor 24/7 ? With Cornish x when is this possible? Do I need to make a box to lock them in at night? Or just tractor....will have one end Closed in with protection from elements.

You can keep them in the pen 24/7 after they don't need a heat lamp anymore. I move my meat birds to their pasture pens after three weeks in the brooder.

bigbluehen53: I totally understand the concern with the density, but meat birds in pasture pens (aka "chicken tractors") have much different requirements for space. They need less space because they move less, but at the same time, they need to be moved often to keep them off their poop. We raise our freedom rangers in 100sqft pens with 65 birds each. So our density is about 1.5 sqft per bird and that is a much much lower density than alot of production farmers that are using similar pens. They have never seemed crowded to me and 9 times out of 10 we have a very successful batch.

Keep in mind, for 6 weeks, they are not full size chickens. In fact, all 50 were in 1 tractor for 2 weeks until I got uncomfortable - 3 weeks of age with first week in brooder under heat lamp. Poop piles are uncomfortable for me.

Suscovich has guidelines. But yes. This works for me.

After 5-6 weeks, I like opening the tractors to give them access to the backyard. More exercise is good, IMHO. More exercise, more fresh greens, more sunshine, more bugs and more area to poop.

Thanks for the explanation.

Back
Top Bottom