Incubating and hatching eggs chat thread!!

Pics
If you are talking to me, yes. My entire flock, both standard and silkies I hatched out. Originally I never had an interest in chickens. My sister bored me to death talking about chickens...lol I homeschool my son and we were doing an oviparous animal unit for science. Dear sis said take my incubator, I'll give you eggs and you can try to hatch. She was supposed to take any chicks that hatched. Yeah, I had her incubator for 2 years, she just got it back end of last year...lol I even did a couple hatches for her and my nephew...lol (I'm the better hatcher..lol) Anyhow, that's how I built my flock. Had all the free eggs I wanted from her, plus bought others from a local gal to mix up the gene pool, and get my spitz, which I love dearly. Once mine were laying I moved on to breeding them. My silkie eggs came from a friend downstate last year and now I am hatching their babies. I have never bought a chick or chickens. I pick the ones I like and sell the others.

Wow! That is so neat. I'm going to try incubating soon. My neighbors have roosters and hens so they just let their broody hens hatch them instead of them incubating them.

HI! I'm new here~ I bought 12 Silkie eggs off Ebay. They shipped 15, and two arrived broken. So I put the remaining 13 in my incubator. On day 10, 8 looked viable. Just last night I had 6 hatch! I think that's pretty good odds for shipped eggs :)

Yes, it helps that they sent the extra eggs to offset the cracks. I have had poor packing on some of my eggs but never a crack. Many scrambled eggs/detached, air cells, however. 6/8 at lockdown sounds good!

HI! I'm new here~ I bought 12 Silkie eggs off Ebay. They shipped 15, and two arrived broken. So I put the remaining 13 in my incubator. On day 10, 8 looked viable. Just last night I had 6 hatch! I think that's pretty good odds for shipped eggs :)
Congrats! That's pretty good for shipped especially if there were eggs that were broke in the box.

Wow!! Congratulations! That's really good for shipped eggs! Do you still have more hatching?

Wow! I don't think i will get my eggs off ebay
I've bought many eggs off eBay sometimes I do well at other times not so well. You have to take into account the distance and time the eggs are in transit. Its a roll of the dice. I'm in southeast Texas. Eggs from the east coast do horrible for me. I don't know why,but they do. When I order a dozen eggs, if ONE hatches I consider it a success. If your not willing to accept the risks of shipped eggs,email the seller. I have got them to send chicks many times. Good luck.:)

Back
Top Bottom