Incubating count down to the hour... Any mathematical experts???

ThaJuicyJuice

Songster
8 Years
Feb 3, 2011
Miami
I have been looking for this info all over the internet, and can't seem to find a source. It is relative constant that chicks are due to hatch after 21 days of incubation, but does anyone have an estimate in hours. Is it as simple as multiplying 24hrs by 21 days? So I am putting out there for all the BYC experts. What do you say?

some do hatch earlier, some later, many factors, such as temperature (a key one), humidity, breed etc

I would think 21 days + or - one day, so 21x24=504hrs. Since there are alot of variables you probably can't get a exact number, but that would be close!

I put the eggs under my broodys at 11am on a Monday morning and the first one hatched at about 2pm on a Sunday about a day early and they were all (7) hatched by midnight on the Sunday night

You have the basics down. An egg does not have 24 hours worth of development 2 seconds after it is put in the incubator. It takes 24 hours before it has a day's worth of development. An easy way to remember it is that they should hatch on the day of the week you set them. If you set them on a Sunday, they should hatch on a Sunday, 21 full days after you set them.

If your incubator is running a little warm, they can hatch early, I've had them pipping when I went into lockdown at 18 days and hatch at 19 days. If you incubator is a little cool, they can hatch a couple of days late. There are a few other things that can affect the hatch time, but incubator temperature seems to be the most inportant.

Quote:
Yes, set on Sun morning and they *should* start hatching Sun morning.
I started the year trying to keep better records of when (writing down time of day) I've been setting and that lasted all of 2 weeks.
Just so I remember, I set 80-something eggs at 7:15 this evening.
smile.png

Lisa

Back
Top Bottom