Incubating Dillema

Hi.

I received 24 of 48 eggs that I ordered. Of those, 10 were broken. I put the other 14 in my Little Giant (With fan and egg turner) last Wednesday. I have communicated with the seller and he has agreed to correct the order and send me 48 new eggs tomorrow. (Monday) They should arrive on Wednesday. Can I add the 48 to the 14 alread in the incubator for a week? How will this affect lockdown?

Thanks, in advance, for any help.
Dave

I would candle the 14 at the end of day 14 and only keep the one's that are fertile then remove 2 of the rails, should give plenty of space to hatch those in. I would put some kind of divider (maybe a piece of cardboard) between them and the rails so that when they hatch they cant get smashed by the rails. I wouldn't let the new 48 sit out but 1 day you never know how old they are when you get them, also I would leave the humidity at about 50-55 until the second set is ready for lock down. I think I would also find a new egg supplier in the future, sound like he doesn't pack them very good.

I have moved the earlybird 14 to one end of the bator and will try to hatch them dry without increased humidity. I put the 48 that came yesterday in the bator and have the autoturner on for all 62. (48+14) there were 7 eggs that were cracked in shopping. I melted paraffin over hot water and "repaired" them with an artist brush and dabs of hot wax. When it is time to lockdown the early birds I will take out two rails but not raise the humidity. They will be separated with a wood divider after removing two rails while the others continue on in the turner section. I hope good things come of it. Basically, I am following previous advice and keeping the well-being of the 48 a high priority. Anything from the first 14 will be a bonus. Best wishes with your lockdown, chickmashnoon.

Regards,
Dave

PS. Thanks again for the help from others.

Thanks! Hope your hatch goes well! Both sets, that is
1f609.png

Back
Top Bottom