Incubating Duck eggs(first time)

1eyejer

Songster
10 Years
Jun 18, 2009
Prince Edward Island
Now that i have some duck eggs, I want to hatch them and I have some questions...first of all is the heat and humidity the same as chickens?? I keep seeing people mention spraying(misting) the eggs, what is this about? and my ducks are a mixture of Aylesbury,Rouen and Muscovy,,I have read that Muscovy eggs take longer,,if that is the case, what is the best way to hatch these eggs??

Mallard dirived ducklings need 28 days incubation - where as muscovies take 35 days so if you are wanting the ducklings to hatch together rather than a week apart- just put the scovie eggs in first- then add the other eggs a week later.

Spraying the eggs is to simulate the mother ducks getting off the nest and having a swim- she would return still damp adding to the humidity under her. You need a higher humidity for duck eggs- especially durring lockdown. In my machine I aim for 80 - 85 % for lockdown- but it will go up over 90 once they actually start to hatch. Durring the main part of incubation I dont worry so much about the actual amount of humity - I watch for the size of the air cell- it is a better indicator of if the eggs need more or less humidity- as not all eggs loose moisture at the same rate.

Back
Top Bottom