Incubating eggs for the first time.

cow bay rooster

In the Brooder
Apr 2, 2015
Cowichan Bay Vancouver Island BC
So a month after having chickens I figured it was time to give incubating eggs a try :) I had picked up some second hand hens who were 20 months old and still laying well. ISA Browns and ISA Bovans. I found a RIR rooster at a shelter and we were ready to roll. The plan was to raise some hens before the ones I have now shut down production.

I ordered a Janoel 24 incubator on Ebay and after running it for a few days and getting the temperature stabalized I set 16 eggs. I was going too put 24 in but decided to try less in case I did something wrong. I didn't want to waste eggs for nothing.

So long story short 7 eggs hatched so far, one made a pip but was at the small end of the egg and ended up drowning, one egg was not fertilized at week one and one egg was not developing any further (red blood ring). Presently I still have 6 eggs in the incubator of which 3 eggs have pips with beaks moving around in them, hoping to see another 3 chicks in the incubator come morning.

Last edited:
Nice surprise this morning two more chicks had hatched over night.
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif

Two more hatched this afternoon now taking the count to 11 chicks! Pretty happy for that success for my first attempt at incubating
wee.gif

I still have two eggs in the incubator but not holding my breath, I'll candle them tomorrow if they don't hatch just to make sure. But to have 11 out of 14 at lock down is a pretty successful hatch in my books.
woot.gif

Back
Top Bottom