Incubating eggs

Pennae

Chirping
Mar 2, 2015
Siddha farm, NSW, AUS
hello ive got 24 quail eggs incubating and its hatch day tomorrow and incubating quail eggs is the same as chicken eggs except ther only in yhe incubator 18 days but i was just wondering is it normal that its smelly in the incubator

anything smelly in the incubator is not a good sign... did you candle them? I smell each egg while candeling... sure an incubator is going to have a certain odour but it shouldnt stink... its to late to do anything about it now. its probably an egg that stopped developing.... hopefully just one.

good luck on your hatch!

take out the ones that smell awful and be careful.... they could explode.... now is your humidity up to 60+%? if so close the lid and leave them alone... the last 3 days of "lock down" you want your humidiy up so when the chicks start hatching they dont dry out, get shrink wrapped and die... I start lock down for cots on day 14 after 10pm. now the most important part is sit on your hands!!! dont touch them, leave them alone. you have to wait until they have all hatched and dry or you risk what i said above.... chicks will be completly fine in the incubator for 24 hours, thats about how long it takes on average for all the Chicks to hatch. if you counted the very first day you set the eggs in the incubator, unless it was in the morning, then it dosent count... you might be one day behind...

Good Luck!

you are correct thay it is very hard to candle cot eggs.... I just candle and inspect each egg before putting them in the hatcher on day 14. a dark egg is the chick... a clear egg is nothing. if i have any doubts I set them to hatch... iv never had an egg explode in an incubator thankfully. but usually a stinky egg is an egg that was fertile and growing and for one reason or another it stopped.

you are correct thay it is very hard to candle cot eggs.... I just candle and inspect each egg before putting them in the hatcher on day 14. a dark egg is the chick... a clear egg is nothing. if i have any doubts I set them to hatch... iv never had an egg explode in an incubator thankfully. but usually a stinky egg is an egg that was fertile and growing and for one reason or another it stopped.
I came very close to having a chicken egg explode. Thankfully the membrane was tough enough to hold it together...lol

hello ive done something terrible the man i bought the eggs off gave me the date for hatch so its been 2 days off what he said so i cracked an egg and there was a chick in there it looks pretty much fully developed and it also has a weird yellow sack attached to its butt i feel terrible :'( will it make it and also when do you think the others will hatch

hello ive done something terrible the man i bought the eggs off gave me the date for hatch so its been 2 days off what he said so i cracked an egg and there was a chick in there it looks pretty much fully developed and it also has a weird yellow sack attached to its butt i feel terrible :'( will it make it and also when do you think the others will hatch
The yellow sac is the yolk sac. The chick absorbs the yolk sac into the equivalent of the navel somewhere between day 19 and hatching. Is the chick still alive?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom