Incubating Issues... Need assistance!

ChickenoftheVI

In the Brooder
6 Years
Feb 21, 2013
St. Croix, US Virgin Islands
To start off, i have a hovabator 1612... No humidity gage =(. I had some dark cornish barred rock cross eggs incubating (4)... They went on lock down after everything looking good after candling... On day 19 one pipped the outshell and was chirping... (I was at work) when i came ome there was no chirping... I waited the next day to see if the chick would start zipping, etc. by the afternoon, nothing. After reading through the forums, i decided to take out the egg and see what happened (day 21). The humidity nustve been too low, he was zip sealed in the membrane, minus his beak area. I kept the other 3 in... Day 23, i candled and float tested. They showed very very slight movement. So, to give benefit of doubt, i put them back in the bator... Day 25 (tonight), i figured they they died in the shell or something... I candled, didnt see any movement, etc. So i decided to pip the shell myself. When i pipped it the inner membrain was white, so when i moved to touch it to see if it was dry, it bled... I was kinda shocked... I had 3/4 of the air pocket shell off, so i took some warm water and put some drips on the membrain... It became clear and i seen the chick inside moving!!! I immediately wrapped it in a warm damp towel and put it back in the bator... So im wondering if the other 2 are the same... Why havent they hatched as of yet... Tomorrow will be day 26... What should i do? How long to wait on the others? What to domwith the opened egg??? HELP!!!

It was definitely a humidity issue. I have found that if my humidity is WAY off, then the chicks tend to become "weak". Even if I raise it to an acceptable level, the chicks won't hatch. If you force hatch a chick that has a dry membrane, I find that the survival rate is way too low to even bother. This is coming from a guy who owns 200+ chickens though. I have had ONE of about 10 live that I hatched. That one was a lot of work too.

I recommend adding surface area to your water addition. Add paper towels, sponges, etc. This helps wick the water and increase surface area.

Back
Top Bottom