Incubating my own eggs - help!

jfays

Songster
6 Years
Apr 4, 2015
ct
This is the first year my flock has had a rooster in it. I plan to hatch my own eggs this year.

My question is - When I ordered hatching eggs last year, I was instructed to let them set for a day in room temperature before placing them in the bator. Do I have to do this as well with my own eggs I collect fresh from my coop? Or can they go right into the incubator? Still set them narrow end down if I have a egg turner? Thanks

This is the first year my flock has had a rooster in it. I plan to hatch my own eggs this year.

My question is - When I ordered hatching eggs last year, I was instructed to let them set for a day in room temperature before placing them in the bator. Do I have to do this as well with my own eggs I collect fresh from my coop? Or can they go right into the incubator? Still set them narrow end down if I have a egg turner? Thanks
Typically, eggs are collected over a 7 day period, (or when you have what you want) and stored (ideally in a cool place 55 degrees or so, but many of us leave them at room temp as long as it is under 70ish or so.) When ready to set if they are cooler they should be allowed to come up to room temp before going in, if at room temp they can go right in the bator. Yes pointed end down if you are using an automatic turner.

Thanks Amy!

My question though is do I HAVE to set them for a day or can I just collect them and put them right into the bator?

Typically, eggs are collected over a 7 day period, (or when you have what you want) and stored (ideally in a cool place 55 degrees or so, but many of us leave them at room temp as long as it is under 70ish or so.) When ready to set if they are cooler they should be allowed to come up to room temp before going  in, if at room temp they can go right in the bator. Yes pointed end down if you are using an automatic turner.

Thanks Amy!

My question though is do I HAVE to set them for a day or can I just collect them and put them right into the bator?
If you are talking about collecting each day and adding them to the bator it can be done, but then you are dealing with a staggered hatch. Which, some people do with success. But you have to remember the longer the eggs are staggered, the more complicated that lockdown becomes and the less ideal the enviroment is for the older eggs that may not be ready for a humidity increase. Like I said, there are people that do staggered hatches regularly in one bator, it's a matter of preference.

Amy, I am only going to be collecting over 2/3 days I believe so I shouldn't have to worry about a staggered hatch too much! When I had eggs sent to me, it was required to let them sit and rest for a day. I was wondering if that is also required for fresh eggs?

If you are talking about collecting each day and adding them to the bator it can be done, but then you are dealing with a staggered hatch. Which, some people do with success. But you have to remember the longer the eggs are staggered, the more complicated that lockdown becomes and the less ideal the enviroment is for the older eggs that may not be ready for a humidity increase. Like I said, there are people that do staggered hatches regularly in one bator, it's a matter of preference.

Amy, I am only going to be collecting over 2/3 days I believe so I shouldn't have to worry about a staggered hatch too much! When I had eggs sent to me, it was required to let them sit and rest for a day. I was wondering if that is also required for fresh eggs?
Not if you are going from coop to bator. Unless your eggs are cold.

Back
Top Bottom