Incubating one single duck egg?

Silkiesaz

🐓 Silkie Queen 🐓
8 Years
Mar 18, 2016
Somewhere Over the Rainbow
Hi all, so my Cayuga duck has never been very consistent with her brooding skills. She has had 2 batches of babies and this is her second. The first time she had babies our other duck killed 2 of them and she killed the last one. We thought this time, if we take the babies away as soon as they hatch it would be okay...evidently not. She started out with 12 eggs, 6 of which were fertile. Then a snake got in and ate 4 unfertile eggs and 1 fertile egg. We removed the unfertile eggs which left her with 5 fertile eggs. Today I went out to check on her and the snake had come back and now we only have one fertile egg. I removed it and put it in my incubator to hatch. I believe it's about day 15, but I have never hatched duck eggs before. Is there anything special I need to do? Will it be lonely when it hatches??

I honestly would not let her go broody. She does not sound like a very good Momma duck to me. If this one hatches out get a mirror and a stuffed or rubber animal for it in the brooder. Keep it warm and give it duckling starter and plenty of fresh water. I never had grit for mine so I never gave them any treats. As long as it has the mirror it will know it is a duckling and not imprint on you and be very demanding of your time. Good luck with this little one. I just now saw the post.

Back
Top Bottom