Incubating peahen eggs

Willy71

In the Brooder
Mar 6, 2016
Buffalo, TX
I'm about to incubate some peahen eggs for the first time. I have a sportsman cabinet incubator. Should the eggs be small end down? Or laying on their sides? I've heard both ways.

I'm about to incubate some peahen eggs for the first time. I have a sportsman cabinet incubator. Should the eggs be small end down? Or laying on their sides? I've heard both ways.
Either. If you hatch eggs upright, they should always have the pointed end down. But, you don't have to hatch upright and you can hatch on the side.

I have a sportsman hatcher that I lay the eggs on their side for hatching, what I've been reading during incubation the eggs should be on their side in the auto turner and turned by hand twice a day in addition to the auto turning from one side to the other, for peahen eggs.

I have a sportsman hatcher that I lay the eggs on their side for hatching, what I've been reading during incubation the eggs should be on their side in the auto turner and turned by hand twice a day in addition to the auto turning from one side to the other, for peahen eggs.
I know we've had a couple hatchers who have successfully done peahens on https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/978237/she-said-he-said-whos-right-whos-wrong-no-one You are welcome to jump in over there and ask. We have a myraid of experienced hatchers from quail, turkey, chickens and peahens and just about everyone there loves to help when needed.

I've never heard that before. One of our hatchers I believe hatched out in a Brinsea mini just hand turning.

I've hatched and raised game birds and chickens, these will be my first peafowl, everything I've been reading about incubating the eggs are horror stories, and they're being shipped, so I have that to deal with also.

Last edited:
I've hatched and raised game birds and chickens, these will be my first peafowl, everything I've been reading about incubating the eggs are horror stories, and they're being shipped, so I have that to deal with also.
@RubyNala97 I believe hatched out some last year. Hopefully she will see her tag and jump in.

On their sides is best for pea eggs. I laid my on their sides and hand turned 3xday. I did not have them in an auto turner. Since then I've switched to hand turning all my eggs at least 5xday. Are they local eggs? Pea eggs are tricky. Don't hesitate to ask if you have any more questions!

Back
Top Bottom