Jan 5, 2023
Hello so I just recently found out how to successfully incubate chicks and have been loving my tiny flock of quail and have been wanting to expand it.

I just have some questions:
-What temperature do I maintain the
Cotournix Quail Eggs at?
-What Humidity do I maintain the eggs?
-How many days does it take till hatch?
-When is lockdown day?
-What Temperature to maintain
during Lockdown?
-What humidity to maintain during Lockdown?

I’m guessing they can eat chicken starter? And for the brooder basically the same essentials as chicks?

I am probably going to purchase the eggs today, get them by the end of the week, and incubate a day after I get them (probably Sat./Sun.)

So some help would be nice. Thank you!!!

Hi! Some people use slightly different temperatures or humidity rates, because not all incubators and environments are the same. With many attempts, I found out that these are the ones that give me higher hatch rates.
Coturnix should be incubated at 37.7°C (100°F)r, same during the lockdown. I mantain my eggs at 40-45%, then at 60-65% during the lockdown.
The eggs will hatch in about 18 days, sometimes they can even hatch one day earlier, some will hatch one day later. The lockdown is on the 15th day.
Be aware that, unlike chickens, quails can only stay in the incubator without food or water for maximum 24 hours, that's because they're smaller and they have less nutrient reserves from the egg.
It's better to give them gamebird starter, as it has more protein than chick starter. If you don't find gamebird starter you can use the chick one and give them some boiled egg.
As they hatch, quails are very small, so they may not be able to eat even the feed (unless it's a flour one), usually I grind it for them for the first week, then I start to introduce the non-grinded feed.
The brooder essentials are pretty the same as chicks, be aware to put some clean pebbles in the waterer, as quails chicks easily drown.
Good luck with your eggs!:D

Hi! Some people use slightly different temperatures or humidity rates, because not all incubators and environments are the same. With many attempts, I found out that these are the ones that give me higher hatch rates.
Coturnix should be incubated at 37.7°C (100°F)r, same during the lockdown. I mantain my eggs at 40-45%, then at 60-65% during the lockdown.
The eggs will hatch in about 18 days, sometimes they can even hatch one day earlier, some will hatch one day later. The lockdown is on the 15th day.
Be aware that, unlike chickens, quails can only stay in the incubator without food or water for maximum 24 hours, that's because they're smaller and they have less nutrient reserves from the egg.
It's better to give them gamebird starter, as it has more protein than chick starter. If you don't find gamebird starter you can use the chick one and give them some boiled egg.
As they hatch, quails are very small, so they may not be able to eat even the feed (unless it's a flour one), usually I grind it for them for the first week, then I start to introduce the non-grinded feed.
The brooder essentials are pretty the same as chicks, be aware to put some clean pebbles in the waterer, as quails chicks easily drown.
Good luck with your eggs!:D
Okay all noted thank you!!!

Hey! I just wanted to add a few notes to expound on the previous reply. Through my research, I have seen that it is best to let the eggs rest for 12 to 24 hours after arrival when shipped the let the eggs rest and get up to room temperature (if it's cold out).

Secondly, my research has shown that the more frequently that you turn your eggs the higher rate of hatching. Currently have my incubator on an hour interval. On day 5, I've candled my eggs and discovered a bunch of little fetuses!

Hey! I just wanted to add a few notes to expound on the previous reply. Through my research, I have seen that it is best to let the eggs rest for 12 to 24 hours after arrival when shipped the let the eggs rest and get up to room temperature (if it's cold out).

Secondly, my research has shown that the more frequently that you turn your eggs the higher rate of hatching. Currently have my incubator on an hour interval. On day 5, I've candled my eggs and discovered a bunch of little fetuses!
Thank you, I was planning on letting them rest for at least 18 hours and I have a Manna Pro so I believe it turns every hour or two. Thank you!!!!

Back
Top Bottom