INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! w/Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs No problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cool maybe I will do that and if I don't have to cut into her foot that's fantastic. Honey works well on us humans this is extremely potent but I have some with aloe mixed in- you that that would be ok then? How long should I soak it?
warm/hot water with salt in it, i usually soak for 10-15 min a few times a day (works for many things -normally i make my husband soak his hands/feet because he's a mechanic and always has something wrong with him). then just wrap clean dry area with the salve/honey and it should be fine in a few days

epsom salt is in most drugstores near the laxatives and is very cheap

Thanks. Right now I need that for a chicken. I have not found the right thread.

How about this one. For some reason, these people apparently don't liver and heart. They use the best part for raccoon bait.

If you don't want to scald or keep the bird whole, you can skin it and part it out.
This also talks about preparation for the deed.

To test when it is sufficiently scalded, a flight feather should come out with no resistance.

Here's another for pigs.

Last edited:
So the chickens browse in your yard or does your husband manicure and fertilize the chicken pasture as well?

There are dozens if not hundreds of videos on youtube.

The most important tool is an extremely sharp knife. I prefer multiples. The feathers quickly dull the knife you slit the throat with. With 2 birds, that won't matter much.

If you are plucking and scalding, you need a means of heating water and a way to check its temperature. I like it between 145 and 150F. A 5 gallon pickle bucket is sufficient but a turkey fryer works well.

For evisceration, you need sharp knives - did I mention that?

I like to have ice in a cooler and ice in a bowl. The bowl is for hearts, livers, gizzards. The cooler is for the carcasses.

A bucket for feathers and another for viscera (they can be combined).

A clean surface that can be washed for evisceration.

Once that process is nearly complete, getting the lungs out is the toughest part.
Decide the day before if you are going to withhold feed for 24 hours or not. It is best if the crop is empty but it isn't too difficult to separate a full crop from the breast and neck skin.

When you get to the liver, be extremely careful not to break the gall bladder or it gets all over.

Salt. I fill the cooler with water, ice and salt.

An extra hose or two. You can always finish cleaning up the carcass in the kitchen sink but I like to do it outside if possible.

Working fast will get the job done before flies find you this time of year.

Did I mention your sharpest knife? And a sharpener in case the knife isn't as sharp as you thought.
I did not get/see the tag for this. Thanks!

It should be ready. The longer it rests, the better. 24 hours is the absolute minimum. If it is a heritage or older bird, it needs a longer rest than a 6 week old broiler.

Ok,so I said I was going to get the leftover chicks,but I'm not!! I whent to blue seal and they have chick days,so I'm going to get them ther!!!i haven't fingered out the breeds yet but I will before tomarrow!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom