INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! w/Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs No problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kathy, this is great! I am going to save this one. (Yeah...I am this boring...ZZZzzzzzzz......
lol.png
)

Quote:
I also found this link:
http://www.uoguelph.ca/omafra_partn...cteristics-of-Eimeria-species.asp?_mid_=26492

Pictures below from above link.

-Kathy

Yes it is. I put very little in my deer burger. Hard to believe that years ago I liked hamburger so good. Now it's instant indigestion.
Occasionally I will add a small amount of beef to my ground venison to add a little fat content to it but usually its just straight venison.

We make sure to stock the freezer every fall. Hardly eat beef anymore; I actually can't really stand the smell of raw beef now that I'm so used to the deer.

Have you all ever seen a palmated buck? We're starting to get quite a few in the area. I think their racks look quite amazing.... I know, I'm setting myself up with that comment. I tried to hide the picture (we kind of goofed and skinned him BEFORE we remembered to take the picture).

Yea the palmated racks are really cool looking.

CC are you familiar with this breed? The Orust? It is wonderful one! See the color of its shanks! I WOULD love for a couple of them!

I'm aware but never saw one in person.
I pour over pictures of rare breeds on the Feathersite chicken pages.

trying to find an inexpensive turner is the hard part right now, plus i dont know the actual dimensions of my cooler maybe i'll send him into the garage attic to get it down for me tonight
Make sure the measurements are taken at the bottom where the turner will sit. It could have tapered sides.

i was just telling one of my friends to get them! (actually my veterinarian) she is obsessed with dalmations, even has a leopard appaloosa horse to go with her spotted theme
We used to have appaloosas.

I will get the corid but the corid that tractor supply is for cattle not chickens
Same thing. Amprolium is amprolium.

While all you guys are roasting looks like we might get another chance at summer soon!!!!
100F again today, second day in a row.
Worse yet is it doesn't cool down at night. It never got below 85 last night and 62% humidity this morning at dawn.

Trust me I would love to have all four seasons and not in the same day. I'm sitting outside right now bundled up and the wind is kicking!!
I'll trade you.

Don't worry we also have all four season in one day at times.
Occasionally here too but that's when the violent storms come or fast freezes after heavy rain that prevent opening car doors.

At one time, I installed electric fence for a living. Are you aware (pretty sure you are) that hot wire can be run underground from one run to another, and the "juice" to the different runs can be controlled individually by switches?
Not a bad idea. I hadn't considered that. We always used a single wire but I helped my friends install some of the premier mesh fencing

Runt, it's the same stuff. Many of these drugs are for all livestock being that many mammals and birds contract the same things.

Here's the thing...Since we are not vets but want to keep livestock, we have to take a lot of educated guesses with our chickens. I have bought many drugs for my birds thinking they would work and they didn't. It's trial and error many times. BUT...over time you learn how to diagnose things for yourself and your education gets better AT diagnosis and you can usually cure simple things that are common.

Chicks dies for lots of reasons, however the number one causes, other than predators, are Coccidiosis and improper temps in the brooder. Cocci is a protazoa present in the intestinal tract of all birds, rabbits, dogs, cattle, hosts of other creatures. Cocci blows on the wind, it is in all soil, it is everywhere. Chicks have not yet developed their immune systems to internally control these things and because the chicks are all stuffed into a very small space, the cocci is everywhere with the poop. (hence keeping your brooder as clean as possible to help prevent it) But sometimes they still do turn up with it. Older birds and sick birds are also very susceptable to cocci if their immune systems are low. However as chicks age, their bodies learn to develop immunity for the most part and as long as they never again become overwhelmed with it in their environment, healthy birds shouldn't contract it. Cocci symptoms are depression, listlessness, fluffed up feathers, eyes closed and standing up in the corner, not eating or drinking, losing weight fast, diarrhea and many times but not always, blood in the poop. If the poop is black or you see blood at all in it, they have cocci. A bird with cocci withdraws and will not eat or drink.

Another big killer...over heating and chilling. Chicks have not yet developed their internal thermostats..so they can not regulate their temps. If they get too hot, they die. If they get too cold, they die. Chilling and over heating is very common in brooders if you have never raised chicks before and can't read what they are telling you. Until you learn how to read chicks in the brooder, use a GOOD thermometer you KNOW is 100% accurate, keep it directly on the floor beneath the heat source so you know EXACTLY what temp it is in your brooder. And if you need help setting a brooder up, there are countless articles here on BYC and thousands of us that can give you points and tips.

Another biggy is being hatched in a dirty incubator. If you do NOT fumigate these things each time you incubate, you are brooding up all kinds of nasties. The chicks hatch with bacterial infections and boom...a week later they are dropping like flies

So...you need to figure out whether or not they are actually dying from Cocci, are they over heating, chilling or do they have some bacterial infection from hatch. This can be a guessing game sometimes and there is no guarantee the meds you buy will fix the issue IF you guessed wrong. We have all mis diagnosed at some point in our chicken keeping careers. BUT you get better at it as time passes. Oh well if you bought something and it didn't work. The WORST thing you can do is nothing...tiny innocent lives that YOU took on the responsibility to keep are dying. And it IS your responsibility, if you are going to keep a bird or animal, to do the right thing. So you need to do something.
Very well said.

What on earth is that?
Malayan Tapir.
They're the ones with the white band.

Did and none of the symptoms match for the incurable, fungal, environmental, or protozoal. Vet ruled out viral, and nutritional isn't relevant because I've been giving them a health mix that the vet recommended, supposed to have all the vitamins and nutrients necessary. Again, she's highly recommended and literally the best poultry vet in our part of the country, so I trust her when she says it's not a problem and a round of antibiotics will fix it.
I understand. Some people don't know that a vitamin A deficiency can represent as a respiratory disease because it affects the mucous glands.
Trichomonas protozoa represent as a respiratory infection as does aspergillosis (fungus).

Okay, isolated hen has been dipped for lice and I don't see any left so i'm going to go ahead and dip everyone else tomorrow. She's being sullen with me right now. XD
make sure you change out the bedding in coop and nests or they'll be back on the birds.

Hey kiddo... Because of your situation you can't send out your address and other personal info. But there is still hope. Follow the other guidelines of chick keeping for now. We aren't sure if your chick has cocci yet. The best bet is to keep learning about how to be a good chick keeper. You will get there!!!! We all had to learn the hard way.
Best bet would be to take a sick chick or a freshly dead one for necropsy.

Here is one:
http://www.jefferspet.com/products/ampromed-p-for-poultry-10oz-pkg

By the time you pay for shipping it will be more expensive than the Corid at Tractor Supply, and I don't think your chick has very many days left, so would be best to get some Corid or AmproMed today.

-Kathy
X2 mail won't get there in time.

I am in chattonga
Here's your lab for necropsy.
Kord Animal Disease Diagnostic Laboratory
TN Dept of Agriculture
436 Hogan Road
Nashville, Tennessee 37220
Phone: 615-837-5294 Fax 615-837-5250

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back