INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! w/Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs No problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok I have question for all of you I was wondering if any of you make you own feed? I'm thinking of making my own feed I'm becoming a lot more health conscience since I had my son come to me but even w him going back to his mom I'm still going down that road I know I will have him back soon enough and even with my nieces and nephew I want the best diet possible for them and I think it starts with the feed we feed are animals are kids don't have the farm like we did raising all are owe veggies and my aunt did all the meat. I'm hoping for a soy free gluten free organic or as close as I can get to organic feed. For the higher protein I'm looking into duck weed with a 35-45 percent protein level plus grains and such what do you all think?

I give mine lots of scraps, but they have commercial layer feed. I tried fermenting it to make it healthier, but it stunk up my entire basement. Chooks liked it, so i'll be resuming in the spring.
Think it sounds like a cool idea! :)

No the duck weed itself is 35-45 percent I'm hoping my end product will be around twenty percent the ducks will have duck weed thrown in there pond to up there protien a little and when I have quail I can mix the feed so that it has high protein for then. The duck weed will be fresh the oats will be fermented and I will beicing the two each day for feeding time

Oh no!!!! :hugs
That's really strange; are all others normal? Did it act funny?
l

It was never As active as the rest but I didn't see any obvious signs of sickness or anything, I always thought it was just resting when I checked on them. I guess it was weak

:hit
Very very strange...

@Sally Sunshine

I give mine lots of scraps, but they have commercial layer feed. I tried fermenting it to make it healthier, but it stunk up my entire basement. Chooks liked it, so i'll be resuming in the spring.
Think it sounds like a cool idea! :)
I give them all my scraps to and also getting bulk feed from the feed mill but my feed is mostly soy based I ferment in small batches in my kitchen it's not to bad I only do a day or two worth at a time leaving a little in to keep the cultures going and my chickens do very well on it but if my family and i are consuming the eggs and extra roos I want a healthier feed. It's a work in progress so I would love as much input as possible? I will be able to grow the majority of the feed here so the cost will be less than it is now just a bit more work but the more self sufficient I am the better I feel I'm also planning a coop slash/ shed that is solar powered to do a test run before I start converting my house. Yep I'm one of those kind of crazies lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom