INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! w/Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs No problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
ZONES OF COLD INJURY / EMBRYONIC DEVELOPMENT

I have had minor issues with cold eggs from the coops unless extreme cold/frozen, sometimes when it gets extremely cold and the eggs do freeze you should candle them to look for cracks, when you bring them in the cracks can easily be missed by our eye, but a candle you should see the small cracks. Brinsea ~ Temperature Guide and Optimal egg storage condition http://www.lohmann-information.com/content/l_i_46_artikel7.pdf
Quote:

Last edited:
Quote: That was my thought too.

For that matter, how cold hardy ARE chickens? What temps can they handle without getting weakened immune systems?
Extremely cold hardy for most breeds. Continental, English, American and some Asiatics can handle 20+ below zero F out of the wind.
Those breeds were developed in cold climates over hundreds or thousands of years and I'm sure they didn't give them heat in the winter over all that time.
Mediterranean breeds can handle those temps too but the roosters' big combs and wattles will get frostbitten (depending on humidity) at temps below 20F.
I've had most Mediterranean breeds and never had frostbite on hens. It hit -19F a couple winters ago.
Whimpy breeds like silkies, seramas (
hide.gif
) and the like can't take such severe weather.

Heat and bad air kills chickens, not cold. I've never lost a chicken to cold but I have lost them to heat.

Even their ancestors - red jungle fowl - are adaptable to a wide range of climates, from tropical forest to Himalayan foothills. That contributed to success, spreading chickens across the planet.

It's just a mutt pigeon. Another question, do you keep them in a brooder? If so, at what temp?

-Kathy

I have kept them several ways. Under a heat lamp, on a heating pad, or in the parrot brooder. I get cold very easily and tend to baby everything with too much warmth if anything, but I would keep them between 85-90 for the first week. But since they don't run around, I prefer using a heating pad under the brooder and up one side where they can snuggle against it or move away a bit if they want. A stuffed animal helps.
The babies I have right now are being taken care of outside by their parents.

Good morning, everyone!!!
frow.gif
I hope everyone is alive and well this morning!!!!!!!!!!!!
hugs.gif

Haven't the time to do a readback just yet, so I'll just jump in at the end of the thread. Here you go whites... these are some pics of the finished brooder. I think I'll be adding some rails along the bottom of the nursery to cut down on the shavings that are being scratched out.

Really nice set up!! How hard is it for you to change out the bedding?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom