INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! w/Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs No problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote: you think the cold messed with the ph in the egg and made them watery?

Quote:
Sally, I'm not sure. I had two detached rolling air cells and a wonky air cell. Weird...but kinda cool. I was just wondering if you or anyone had ever heard of this. I assumed if it froze past -2 that it would've killed the egg. And possibly cracked. But...so far so good. I was simply curious.

CC!! Nice to see you! I always let them sit in egg cartons too. The eggs in question were hatched the Dec. 30th, Jan 2nd and Jan 6th. They were set on the Jan 10th. Have you had anything like this with your eggs?

Ok...now I'm thinking I will check the eggs just set...lol. Here I go...
I had one start that was a roller, but it never made it. are you taking pics of progress to document them?

Lol...I haven't been documenting them...I never thought they'd make it till now. Plus they're green. I can start now though so I remember down the road. I candled them...and there's visible movement in a couple eggs, but all have no signs of vessel atrophy.
yesss.gif

I had a light bulb moment when candling just now. I have a cracked green egg...I'm assuming it froze. It has stuff rolling around, but I can't make a positive id on whether it's air from being cracked or the air cell. (darn green eggs) But I'll see in a couple of days once the air cell gets bigger. On a happier note, I can already see chickie development in a select few. Wow, that's fast!

And yep, I left the egg in...it's not oozing and I want to see if development starts...and I want to see the air cell better. I left it laying down.
woot.gif

OK.... One last question before I need to go.
Has anyone put uncooked rice in the bottom of the bator to help hold temps?
Silly, I know- but it sorta sounds plausible.
I use rice to help with humidity, during my last batch we had a couple of storms so humidity was way up when I needed it to be way down! Popped two tablespoons of rice in the bator and humidity got right around where I needed to be!

Good Night Sally!
hugs.gif

hugs.gif
hugs.gif
night night sweet dreams Mike!

Quote: I would keep around 30 and then candle in 2-3 days... mark air cell where its at now so you can tell how much your loosing at that humidity. but you did mark air cells... ugggg time for bed

Last edited:
They probably weren't 100*, 'cause you won't LEAVE THEM ALONE!!!:barnie
Every time you take the lid off, you're letting heat and humidity out, and you're forever taking the flaming lid off!!
HEY STOP.I am leaving them alone.I said when I checked them three earlier.

Do any of you know where to get some good RIR eggs? The heritage RIR thread has not been helpful with that as they stress about crossing strains etc. They could not seem to get the fact that I am a backyard/pasture owner that just wants a good cockrel or few birds to move mine away from hatchery stock and inject some heritage blood moving closer to that type bird each generation.

I would keep around 30 and then candle in 2-3 days... mark air cell where its at now so you can tell how much your loosing at that humidity. but you did mark air cells... ugggg time for bed
Righto, I'll see how they progress over the next couple days. All of them are marked, accept a couple of my olive ones.

Do any of you know where to get some good RIR eggs? The heritage RIR thread has not been helpful with that as they stress about crossing strains etc. They could not seem to get the fact that I am a backyard/pasture owner that just wants a good cockrel or few birds to move mine away from hatchery stock and inject some heritage blood moving closer to that type bird each generation.
You can check with @LocalYokel ; he has RIR's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom