INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! w/Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs No problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
PUT THE VENT PLUGS IN FOR THE FIRST 10 DAYS ONLY and then REMOVE ALL VENT PLUGS for the rest of the hatch! NOTE: When Lockdown occurs, vent openings are frequently restricted in an attempt to boost incubator humidity. Instead of helping the chick hatch, the chick is suffocated from lack of oxygen. Never decrease ventilation openings at hatching in an attempt to increase humidity. Increase humidity by other methods. If any vent adjustments are made, they should be opened more. Try adding a dampened sponge or towel to help boost humidity during lockdown.

VENTILATION (OXYGEN)
Hatching at High Altitudes post #37908
O2 deprivation to day 10 of incubation followed by regular oxygen concentrations leads to stronger chicks post #33815
PUT THE RED VENT PLUGS IN FOR THE FIRST 10 DAYS ONLY and then REMOVE ALL VENT PLUGS for the rest of the hatch!
NEVER USE VENT holes as a means to Control HUMIDITY especially during HATCH DAYS!

Thanks whites!
Here when I get a lil piece of land I am planning on "going big with Bobwhites"
If Dunn's is a dead end, let me know; I can probably dredge more out of the old memory bank
tongue.png

eb0b8222_IMG_20151122_180104.jpeg
LL

ORTHOPEDIC & POULTRY PODIATRY links:
Treatments for Leg Problems in Chickens & other Poultry

WEAK CHICKS, Spraddle legs, ODD legs, ETC.....

There are options of taping chicks legs together, HOWEVER, those are horrible and other chicks pick on them, they are non stop chirping and falling over, pain in the butt period....

If you can put them in a cup that forces the feet into position under them it can work a lot quicker and less stressful for the chicks. Thanks to a tip from BYC member Blarney love that chick! Just dont overheat them in the cup, take them out to feed and water them and give them some exercise and see how they are doing!

FANCY TEA CUP WITH A NARROW BOTTOM LIKE IN THE PICTURE

royal-albert-lady-carlyle-teacup-798901365105.jpg

BABY food container

LL
If you have something else to use try it!!
this I duct tape to the floor on the bottom so it didnt topple over!

Homemade Electrolyte Recipe for weak/ill chicks
2 C. Water
2 TBL. Brown Sugar, honey or molasses
1/2 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp. Baking Soda

Mix until all dry ingredients dissolve & Keep refrigerated
You could also use electrolyte drinks Gatorade or Pedialyte, or
3 drops of POLYVISOL (liquid childrens A-B-D vitamins)
Slowly drip along inner edge of lower beak.
How To Raise Baby Chicks
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/...ks-the-first-60-days-of-raising-baby-chickens

@Bejammie

This is the shelf liner I use. It has tiny holes so it vents well, yet provides good traction and prevent feet from going through holes (my bottom is chicken wire). You can get it at the dollar store. :D Hope this helps!

chick%20chair.jpg

@Sally Sunshine sorry, just finally made it to the post asking for pics. I did not take any of the chick that was so bad off, but I did just now go take pictures of him now.
This is him after I gave him a bath & dried him back off. You can see that his head is still matted down ( I didn't wash there) but his wings & back side look good now.

This is the spradle leg chick. I just put him back in the votive candle holder. It is working better now that his legs are taped, before he just kept putting his feet/legs up by his head.

This is the white chick after she kicked off her shoe. This is her with her curled toes (only on this 1 foot)
You can see that her toes are straight now!

Here is the spradle leg chick with its' legs taped. Here is the little hole I made for it because it kept getting out of everything else

Here is the late hatcher with the severely curled toes, sporting his new shoes. I really wish now that I had taken a picture of him after he had just hatched. I can hardly convey how bad off he looked. (So bad that I wouldn't have even thought about taking a picture)

For anyone who might learn from this. My gimpy chick seemed to have a bad joint in his leg so I put a cast on him with medical tape and then wrapped some tape around the hip of that same leg and around his little body. It helped keep everything in place. He was walking normally by the end of the day. I left him taped up for 2 days. He got his cast off today and is all good
smile.png

Thanks for your quick response. I didn't really have any cups that would work so I fashioned this. Does it look like it would work? The chick does seem more comfortable, I mean aside from being immobilized, but I haven't heard it sad peeping since I rigged it up.
EC5B4A8E-4EEE-4120-993B-FF381C96FD2C-550-000000DC3CE892F0.jpg

59E0202A-D270-45C8-AA92-593333E3440D-550-000000DBFC11A4F4.jpg

Tolbunt polish from Sara for HarmonyAnn!

one has spraddle so I am workin on that!

a white tolbunt chick!!!! the other has black brown rust spots... not a good pic, more later when kiddo has them!

A bit more than spraddle leg, one leg is against the other and sideways, so I have to align "hips" lol

drinking some electrolytes, very happy and energetic this one is!

AND she brought me these!!!! more tolbunt, some lemon orphs, and some other orphs, and blarney send me her marans!!
her marans just won awards at the Massachusetts show.

FEELING BLESSED and I love my BYC friends!!!!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/978353/rooster-chick-with-weird-leg

TENDONS
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/879233/slipped-tendon-in-chick-anyone-ever-try-to-fix-this-experiences
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/941270/slipped-tendon-that-turned-to-twisted-tibia-my-treatment

Here is some info I found on slipped tendon (perosis):

-Kathy

LL

Chickie booties. I use electical tape. People say..what?!? But it works great. I round the corners.

Do you have polyvisol to give that chick and some electrolytes or gatoraid?

Homemade Electrolyte Recipe for weak/ill chicks post #3876
Chick Pro and Pre Biotic vit cheap! I swear by them! 1st & 2 wks then ACV see post #1409
Bargain vitamins and electrolytes from Jeffers post #18098

I will post a few things but not sure what you want to try as I dont really know what the chick is doing
https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/poultry-podiatry
section.
  • Use for splinting and correcting Twisted Toes, or sometimes to help with Curled Toes. (With Twisted Toes, an adult or chick walks on sides of twisted toes. With Curled Toes, a chick walks on tops of curled toes.)
  • Cut out a small, flat triangle a little larger than the size that the chick's foot should be when toes are spread. Position each toe correctly and then use a small piece of sports tape to tape the toe to the cardboard.
  • A different type of chick shoe splint can be made from pipe cleaners (or flower arranging wire and thin padding, for older chickens).
  • If treating young chick: Important to put on new shoe at least every 1-3 days while feet growing fast.The chick will likely need to wear the shoes a total of 4 days to 2 weeks, depending on the severity of the problem
    • Make sure shoe size increased regularly so foot doesn't outgrow shoe. Toe Taping (See below) may be better for treating some problems.
    • Notice and correct sooner if chick wiggles toe into wrong position, before deformities are caused.
  • If treating older bird: You may want to treat moderately twisted toes if causing problems. Do not try to correct long-term, severely twisted toes. Bones, muscles & ligaments are mature & may not be able to be reshaped, or will change more slowly.
    • Aim for gradual reshaping.
    • Check regularly that there isn't too much debris sticking to shoe, & that toes haven't slipped loose.
    • Change the shoe at least every 4-7 days.The bird may need to wear the shoes and/or have its toes taped (See below) for 2-5 weeks.
Vitamin A
In adult chickens, vitamin A deficiency symptoms include weakness, lethargy, puffed out appearance, decreased egg production, and a watery discharge from their eyes that can develop into “milky cheesy” eye secretions. In baby chicks, symptoms can develop as early as 7 days of age. Symptoms in chicks include lack of appetite, stunted growth, sleepiness, weakness, imbalance and weight loss. If the deficiency is severe then walking difficulties can occur.
Natural Sources: dandelion greens, sweet potato, broccoli, kale, spinach, pumpkin, cantaloupe, peas, tomatoes

Vitamin B12
Vitamin B12 deficiencies can be responsible for lack of weight gain, decreased appetite, poor plumage quality, and nervous system issues. In addition often a decrease in size of egg laid, anemia, and fatty liver, kidney and heart disease can be seen too. Vitamin B12 is mostly found in fish and animal products. It is a rarely found in plant materials but sea kelp is high in vitamin B12.
Natural Sources: yogurt, milk, cheese, fish, eggs, meat, sea kelp
Commercial Products: Cluck n Sea Kelp, Manna Pro’s Life Lytes, Life Lyte’s Mega Tabs, Durvet
Biotin (Vitamin B7)
This deficiency can lead to dry flaking skin, also known as dermatitis, on the chicken’s face, around the eyes and on the feet. It can also lead to fatty liver and kidney syndrome.
Natural Sources: Peas, Broccoli, Cabbage, Cauliflower, Spinach, Strawberries, Raspberries, Oats, Soybeans, Peanuts
Commercial Products: Cluck n Sea Kelp, Manna Pro’s Life Lytes, Life Lyte’s Mega Tabs

Choline
Eggs are high in choline making choline repletion a must. This deficiency’s hallmark symptom in both chicks and adult chickens is perosis. Perosis, seen in many vitamin deficiencies, first develops as tiny bleeding spots near the chicken’s hock accompanied by light swelling that later develops into the contortion of the legs, the inability to bear weight, and finally complete immobility.
Natural Sources:
soybeans, wheat, and fish meal.

Vitamin D3
This deficiency can lead to osteoporosis, impaired bone development in chicks, rickets, soft weak beaks and toenails, as well as poor quality egg shells. In chicks the first sign of Vitamin D3 deficiency can be trouble walking.
Natural Sources: mushrooms (from the grocer), fish, eggs

Vitamin E
It is important to note that Vitamin E requires selenium (a mineral) for absorption in poultry. Wry neck, imbalance, and muscle atrophy can all be signs of a deficiency
Natural Sources: asparagus, broccoli, pumpkin, spinach, turnip, beet greens, collard greens, and dandelion greens, purslane

Folic Acid
Of all livestock, poultry are the most susceptible to folic acid deficiencies. Signs of deficiency include anemia-pale combs, wattles and mouth tissue, perosis, cervical paralysis (similar to wry neck), decreased egg production, poor feathering, impaired growth and discoloration of feathers.
Natural Sources: strawberries, raspberries, asparagus, spinach, dark leafy greens, broccoli, okra, brussel sprouts, peanuts, flax seeds, cauliflower, beets, corn, carrots, celery, squash

Vitamin K
Vitamin K is necessary for the normal blood clotting process. This is very important to keep chickens from bleeding to death even from a slight bruise. Vitamin K deficient chickens can also suffer from internal hemorrhaging. It is important to remember that the use of medication can sometimes impair the body’s proper absorption of Vitamin K. A Vitamin K deficiency should not be confused with coccidiosis in baby chicks.
Natural Sources: basil, sage, thyme, dark leafy greens, brussel sprouts, broccoli, asparagus, cabbage, cucumber

Niacin
Symptoms of niacin deficiency include diarrhea, loss of appetite and growth retardation. Chicks around 2 weeks of age can develop “black tongue” which is swelling of the tongue, inner mouth and upper digestive tract.
Natural Sources: peanuts, mushrooms (from grocer), sunflower seeds, peas

Riboflavin (Vitamin B2)
Riboflavin deficiencies can first appear during day 10 in the incubating egg. Chicks born with riboflavin deficiencies can be seen with curled toes and laying down with their legs extended. They can be lethargic and seen walking around on their hocks using their wings as walking aids.
Natural Sources: spinach, soybeans, beet greens, asparagus, eggs

Pyroxidine (Vitamin B6)
Pyroxidine deficiencies in chicks is manifested with “fits”. Fits include running around aimlessly, flapping their wings which then is accompanied by falling down and jerking motions. Protein metabolism, reproductive issues, decreased egg production and partial molts are also signs of pyroxidine deficiency in older chickens.
Natural Sources: sunflower seeds, bananas, spinach, bell peppers, peas

http://www.tillysnest.com/2014/03/vitamin-deficiencies-in-backyard-chicks-html/

Edited by Sally Sunshine - 2/27/16 at 11:36am

Last edited:
Well, I've learned that since my dad has passed well into his 70's, maybe I shouldn't ask him to wire the fan into my LG after he worked all day and had to teach a class tonight. He fried both the fan and the 'bator. So, I just ordered an Inucview 1588. 3-6 day delivery. Let's hope for 3 days, since in 4 days I have 35 possible eggs that need to go in to lock down. Worst case, I can sacrifice my 12 silkie eggs that will be 9 days old by turning off the turner and raising the humidity.

If I do that, is it possible that those 12 eggs can survive 3 = 4 days in high humidity and no turning?

If there is a vent hole near the top I would put your eggs that need turning right under it, then you can try and MacGyver a coat hanger or other object to stick through the vent hole to turn them.

I'm expecting my new incubator today (day 8).
Should I transfer the eggs once it's stable? Meaning, is it a better idea than letting them stay in the still air?
Duckling is 100% in potty training mode today. So, please be sure to tag me if you respond.

Taking them out to transfer them shouldn't hurt, you can even candle when you do it. ^_^

I also got that @Saris might be in my same boat with super sick kiddos, but, is one upping me by being able to keep up here AND (hopefully) help some babies out.
Haha, I can only keep up because I'm a SAHM. My little one with the cough is doing a bit better, I hope your kiddo is okay and feeling better too.

oh nossss I am sorry sweets dang it!!!!
hugs.gif
It's okay, I tried my best so I know I couldn't have done any better. Hopefully I'll have better luck with better packaged eggs. My next 2 hatches should be all shipped eggs.

As for my current hatch I have 22 out, 1 zipping (worrying me by taking it's sweet time, slow but still progressing), 1 pip, 5 Unknowns, and the 1 DIS phoenix.

You are welcome! I love doing it!
Wow, that was a marathon read, Sally.
th.gif

BubbleBator has been steady at 102 for about an hour now!
I have it at 102 with both vent plugs in, so the temps will probably go down when I remove one plug at day 3 and the other day 10...?
Did you thank CH for showing you the error of your ways?
gig.gif

If you'd done what I suggested in the beginning and asked him if you had problems with the same 'bator he has, look at all the grief you'd have saved yourself.
hide.gif
lau.gif

Quote:
Where is your sense of adventure?

Well, that's one way to stay warm on the motorcycle! I prefer lots of cow hide and snow pants.
I do transport live animals on the Harley. Dogs, fish, chickens and turkeys so far.
0.jpg

Keep your goats safe. Always make them wear their helmets.
I had a friend in New Jersey that told me the story about his turn to get the pig for the party. He and a bunch of friends got together in a field, and started the bonfire. Drunk as anything, he left for the pig. He had the dead pig strapped to the passenger seat wearing a helmet. He said he caused a lot of people to swerve off the road.

Quote: what about a video ?

It's okay, I tried my best so I know I couldn't have done any better. Hopefully I'll have better luck with better packaged eggs. My next 2 hatches should be all shipped eggs.

As for my current hatch I have 22 out, 1 zipping (worrying me by taking it's sweet time, slow but still progressing), 1 pip, 5 Unknowns, and the 1 DIS phoenix.

awesome!!

good!! it will hurt not turning eggs most between 1-14 days old you can get away with 10-14 perhaps! and as long as you have time to make humidity changes needed for the remaining eggs to get correct weight loss
Thank you Sally!! I should get my new incubator that I ordered last night sometime in the mix. Hopefully I'll have a couple of days to steady the temps!! Plus, I have about 3 dozen eggs coming in over the next few days. Bad time to break a 'bator!!!

Were you a ski instructor? What resort?
It was Mammoth Lakes, CA. I didn't know how to ski when I moved there, just loved the area. So, I got an INDOOR job - I worked in the Business office. Basically responsible for Ticket sales and accounting. We were able to ski a couple of hours every day (if we wanted). I lived there 6 winters, but only 1 summer. I've never skied outside of California.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom