INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! w/Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs No problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
hugs.gif
is it byc or my internet!!

Quote: lol I dont think its that!!

Quote: seriously go to bed

Quote: x100000000000000000000000000000

Well... Wasn't that special.

I was watching the last stuck chick, had about 30 minutes before I wanted to try helping again (had it on a timer), but I started to see some more liquid near the yolk side of the shell. I watched some more, as he got wetter, and when I started to see some little foaming in the liquid as he was trying to shove his way out, I decided time was up.

I was glad I did. He had managed to tear his umbilical cord or major vessel and was bleeding deeper in the shell where I couldn't have seen it. There was a significant amount of blood in the bottom of the shell - hard to know how much it will affect him. His navel was open, and it looked like he had JUST finished internalizing the yolk. I got him out of the shell as quickly as I could (he was stuck and membrane was all over him, especially his face - once he got out, I realized his beak was under his wing, and the wing had gotten cemented against his face). I held pressure against the navel until the worst of the bleeding stopped, then dabbed it with betadine (which really stopped the bleeding well!). Then I just put him in a small bowl on a paper towel and let him rest int eh incubator and warm back up for a little bit. Later, I wiped all the goop and membranes off of him with a warm wet washcloth - had to do it twice. (Oh, and the air cell? Nearly nonexistent...) Here's a photo of him right out of the shell.

Navel currently is closed, and not so bad looking (all things considered). I was concerned that he was developing an infection (which would be no surprise, given how long he was like that, in a dirty incubator). Upon examination (and smelling), I don't believe he is, though it may manifest more obviously later - I think the bubbles were from him squirming and air being worked into that fluid. He was trying to walk around and peep earlier - right now he's resting. Hard to know if that's normal rest/activity cycle or if he's fading. I moved the shell debris out of the incubator and put him and the other weak chick into clean baskets to rest and dry. If they do well, I'll move them into the brooder with everyone else in the morning. If not, I have the Brinsea Ecoglow up to temp (using a Mama Heating Pad set up for the other chicks), and will put them in a separate brooder together temporarily.

I don't know if they will live. If they live, and are weak at all, I don't know if I will cull early/now. (All weak malpositioned chicks are males.) But I feel I did my part to give them a chance. And I learned a lot.

@Sally Sunshine - So I can maybe learn from this for later hatches: Should I have waited longer and left the assist-hole smaller once I knew that there were blood vessels? Or is this just a situation in which there is no good choice? (Besides prevention, of course.)

I was on my feet all day watching them (except a few naps to try to shake the remnants of that migraine) - and my plantar fasciitis is acting up so that it feels like iron spikes are being driven through my foot. Having a glass of wine and waiting for the pain meds to kick in before doing an eggtopsy on the DIS one. I will post photos.

I'm exhausted - but before I go, for everyone who is in lockdown and hatching -

GOOOOOOO CHICKEEEEEEEES!!!!!!
jumpy.gif

- Ant Farm
it was a big wet chick sweets, you did what you could I dont think timing was an issue here. it looks like it has a big mushy belly so he may already have mushy chick disease
see my siggy for link.... I think Kathy gives chicks antibiotics, I never do. I cull hard. give electrolytes as soon as they will take some. fix the weight loss/humidity issue, perhaps run at 100-100.5 at least and see if you get a better hatch,. Legbar is my breed remember I hatched many many of them over the past three years.

Thanks Sally!

3 of the eggs have obvious drawdown, the rest are not quite there - but reassured. Now let the humidity war begin! I have a small funnel and PVC hose prepared now... I will not open the bater... I will NOT open the bater... I WILL NOT OPEN THE BATOR!
YOU WONT OPEN IT UP!!! good luck!!! remember mine go into lockdown tomorrow, but I put them in now because of bein banty mostly.

Hi guys just getting back online
Brrrrr....freaking -15 here. Hope my ducks hunker down and stay warm...got the heat lamps on.
brrrrrrrr

Quote: Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom