INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! w/Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs No problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Sally Sunshine

Overall, a good Valentines day Hatch. 

13/18 BCM Hatched.  1 non-pipper, 1 early quitter, 3 died after pipping (humidity too high, eggs rolled by other chicks, I think the drowned)
2/3 Welsummers Hatched.  One still alive/working on it, has plenty of air, but breathing looks difficult.  Don't think it will make it. 

1/2 Easter Eggers hatched.  1 was a clear.

1/5 mixed breeds hatched.  3 clear.  1 died in shell - mal-positioned and pip didn't break through internal membrane. 

Chicks in the brooder look heathy right now.  Much better than the NYH with a low hatch rate and poor survival.  I think it was the vent plug! 

....so what shall I hatch for Easter?

This breed!

@Sally Sunshine

Overall, a good Valentines day Hatch. 

13/18 BCM Hatched.  1 non-pipper, 1 early quitter, 3 died after pipping (humidity too high, eggs rolled by other chicks, I think the drowned)
2/3 Welsummers Hatched.  One still alive/working on it, has plenty of air, but breathing looks difficult.  Don't think it will make it. 

1/2 Easter Eggers hatched.  1 was a clear.

1/5 mixed breeds hatched.  3 clear.  1 died in shell - mal-positioned and pip didn't break through internal membrane. 

Chicks in the brooder look heathy right now.  Much better than the NYH with a low hatch rate and poor survival.  I think it was the vent plug! 

....so what shall I hatch for Easter?

Comgrats! :clap

Hmm, you do know "what shall I hatch" is a very dangerous question around here, right?

Set ALL the eggs!! :ya

(Think we could manage to get a new smiely added, one with a banner that says "Set ALL the eggs!" ?)

-Banti

Last edited:
Post-Mortem pics...

This was my oddly cracked egg that never changed much. Mixed Breed.

You can see where the shell had popped off while in the incubator. The rest of the shell easily peeled away from the inner membrane. The beak is towards the little end

Inner Membrane removed.

P
oor chick.

I had not opened the incubator until after this chick was gone. Had I recognized this earlier (like if the crack was originally facing up instead of down), would creating a hole in the membrane by the beak give this chick a chance?

@ChickenCanoe
The advantage of grafting tomatoes to a stronger root are several.
It's more drought tolerant due to the extensive root system and it also gets more nutrients
The roots of the graph are more resistant to diseases that the parent may not have
The down side not all plants survive the shock of graphing and the seeds to the root stock are pricey.
The root stock is hybrid so raising them to produce more doesn't work
Similar to lockdown the humidity and temperature is key for the first three days after that you should know if they are going to make it.
It's fun!

Hello friends, am glad to be apart of you. Am Ugandan from Uganda
Started back yard chicken last September 2015. The project is interesting. The birds are laying eggs. But they all insist on using one nest so I have found hatching difficult.
Most of the eggs are wasted. Can I incubate using the cheapest means possible.
Thanks
Rhoda
Hello Rhoda, & Welcome

We have folks from Belgium, Israel, Canada, Australia, UK, and even a few from the U.S., but you're the first from Uganda. We're glad you're here. If you have any questions or need anything, just jump on in there & post it; if we don't know the answer, we can usually point you in the right direction. Do you have a particular breed, or a mixed flock?

Depending on how much money you want to spend, you can find electric incubators from $50 up to $300 or more for new ones, or used ones from various sources. There is usually someone around here who's happy to give you guidance about specific types and makes of incubators, so never hesitate to seek their helpful input.

welcome-byc.gif

Ok my peeps... Here's a question for the ages... How difficult is it, really, to vent sex? I'm a smart girl with a load of biology behind me..: I'm willing to tutor and investigate all material. I want to hear from you all... How hard is it and is it worth it???@Sally Sunshine
Not a lot on it. But read if you do it wrong you can kill them.

Good Morning Folks! Thanks to your answers a few day ago and all the very valuable info that Sally Sunshine has put together I have 5 babies in the incubator with 2 eggs to go. First pip yesterday morning and first chick at around 6 pm last night. I woke up to 3 more chicks this morning and one more just hatched a few minutes ago. This is my first chick hatch ever and I am so excited! So THANK YOU ALL! Your wisdom is greatly appreciated!

Good Morning Folks! Thanks to your answers a few day ago and all the very valuable info that Sally Sunshine has put together I have 5 babies in the incubator with 2 eggs to go. First pip yesterday morning and first chick at around 6 pm last night. I woke up to 3 more chicks this morning and one more just hatched a few minutes ago. This is my first chick hatch ever and I am so excited! So THANK YOU ALL! Your wisdom is greatly appreciated!
thumbsup.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom