INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! w/Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs No problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all , :frow

Sooo i got a hatcher it hatched last night super excited
Then even more excitement my babylon went broody yesterday !!

My bator seems to be running pretty stable. I have my humidity at 40 percent. You guys think that's a good starting point for quail eggs. 32 seemed to be good for the chicken eggs.
I do 55 for serama sweets and then 75 hatch

H

Just wanted to show everyone my best girl. 8 years old tomorrow.. Well actually two.
1f609.png
an angel!

It's hard work keeping your hens happy. Lol
1f618.png
I am sure he knows that!!

@kwhites634 I need you!
OH MYYYYYY GERDED

frow.gif

Quote: oh no!!! poor whites!! I am so sorry!!! my hugs
hugs.gif
hugs.gif

Quote:
I'll take the whipped cream......

Hey Whites, look at this! My kids want to build a Gatling gun now!

https://video.search.yahoo.com/vide...mozilla-004&hsimp=yhs-004&hspart=mozilla&tt=b
ruger?

Just collected our first eggs!
Running inc for the next few days to make sure it works properly
clap.gif

Ever start to say something, then have to take it back because you realize it doesn't sound the way you meant it?

always
Sally, you have a chick with wry neck? I've had a couple now with all of the hatching I've done. All I used was the Poly V. Put some on my finger and scraped in into their beak while they were chirping..didn't measure either...The last one I had was just this past winter. I really thought this one wouldn't make it because it was so bad..couldn't even stand up. But I did the Poly V. and I also did a weaker solution of the electrolytes...Poly V. 3 to 4 times a day, the electrolytes only a couple of times a day. That baby was standing and walking around normal by the end of the second day! Good luck with yours.
yes you saw the posts?? post #60013

I got me a broody serama! She has 3 eggs under her right now and my friend is going to bring me more serama eggs to put under her tomorrow! That means I won't set for the EHAL, but will still be around the same time.

I had 5/5 Pavlovskaya hatch. 1/7 Brabanter hatch. 4 were DIS. I think humidity is the tricky part with Brabanters. I've tried dry incubation twice with poor results.
I got a surprise phone call from my post office. The eggs I thought were being sent out tomorrow arrived at my post office yesterday. Not the right timing for the HAL but I checked them out. They look like typical shipped eggs with a couple wiggly air cells. Probably will find some saddles at next candle. I had already planned on cleaning the incubator last night anyway so I got everything scrubbed and disinfected and set 18 Cream Brabanter eggs this morning.
Things I'm changing this time:
EVERYONE ordering EGGS for the HAL!
DONT FORGET TO REQUEST HOW YOU wish your eggs collected and shipped!!
see post #4964 on suggestions and also where to find eggs!

2/28/16 PM Sunday ANY MARCH or APRIL BDAYS not on list???

PLEASE HELP ME UPDATE THIS!! ANY BDAYS coming up????

IF YOUR NOT ON THE LIST TAG ME IN YOUR POST OR ASK SOMEONE TO TAG ME PLEASE!

MISC:
BDAYS DAX 3/5, S5apiotrowsk
i 3/8, karenerwin 3/14, Shahtir101March 22nd, country lovin March 24th

Making Bators~ canadachickens, fire 4th cabinet, silverhair, fresnofarmer,
CliftonFarmer cooler, lazyacre cooler, shahtir101 coolerbator louly coolerbator Bantychooks coolerbator
Attimus bator build post #57021 post #58232 post #59461 post #59887
Joey Ur-ur-ur-ur post #58273
mrleeroy update post #57336
Chaos18 post #60710

Coop expansions:
Silverhair, chaos18, hippiestink,Fire Ant Farm @Fire Ant Farm do we get updated coop images?
current to 2/26 at 12 pm

HATCHING/INCUBATION
granny hatchet 2/10 I put 50 eggs in today and had room for 22 more. LOL I opened all of todays eggs as it was freezing out and didnt see any thing watery. no ice except for the fact I have an egg eater and found a frozen yolk. they will be due March 3rd.

ChickenLady2014 aka Lisa jumping on the band wagon. Set 23 eggs in the bator tonight. 6 Icelandic, 6 SFH, 7 EE mixes, 2 Silkie & 2 Chantecler/EE x Ice mixes. Wish me luck, got get practiced up for EHAL. Also have 3 Icelandic on day 18 under my Silkiebator

Fire aka Hero always hatching! shoved 8 under a broody Cochin tonite. Be like fisheye surprise as those eggs I put under her were off the free range group. God only knows what combo they'll be.
Sally Sunshine Always hatching! cochin legbar marans ducks projects serama olive eggers etc.
NestingHillsSC aka Tony always hatching!
Casportspony aka Kathy aka Kat always hatching
TJChickens aka TJ Alays hatching
PHAGE always hatching!
Hatch update: lots hatched - about 50. Sorry I did not get a pic of them and now they are all gone.
BUT- there are about 30 in the bator on day 9 ish and about 100 waiting to go in tonight.
Breeds are:
Bcm, BF, CL, swedish black, dwarf olansk, mottled orpingtons, bss orps, and a bunch of other rare breeds.
Theses are not mine. Hatching then feeds my hatching addiction, and helps out my friend by hatching for her! Totally win win!
DHetzle always hatching
jwlpoultry aka Justin Always Hatching!
Had to toss 7/39 Barred Rock eggs 4 blood rings and 3 cracks due to cold weather so am down to 32 due to hatch 2/28
6/6 Rhodebars and 1 barnyard mix developing great due to hatch 2/28.
2 goose eggs develpoing due to hatch March 6th
19 Idaho Bluback pheadants set 2/18 due to hatch March 11th.I sat 33 quail eggs at 10am due to hatch March the 8th.
Out of the 7 eggs that made it to lock down all 4 Rhodebars hatched (2 female/2 male) and 3 barnyard mix that havent pipped yet will give them a few days.
also set 13 more Rhodebars amd I think 7 other eggs today for a 3/12 hatch.

Canadachickens aka cc 13 Auraucana went into lockdown day 17.

mrleeroy My update is a successful (3-day) hatch. Locked down 7 eggs and got 7 chickies! The other 32 are due 3/3. Also I candled the eggs from set 2 yesterday (day 14) and didn't pull any of 32.

J&TRanch 1/12/16 12 self blue Cochin bantams (shipped) day 3 (going to candle today to see how many are viable).... And 18 eggs arriving in the mail tomorrow @J&Tranch My shipped self blue bantam Cochins are doing good. I had to throw out a stinker and a seeper
1f61f.png
So out of those 10 remaining, 7 are developing nicely
1f600.png
They're on day 7. I ended up receiving 16 shipped from GA, they looked good considering the single digit temps- only 3 saddles and none cracked. They're on day 3 today, will candle Wednesday maybe.

Saris aka Lacie Day 14 update. I removed 8 eggs, I have 8 going strong from Chicken hill poultry and 17 going strong from Papa Brooder. So 25/33 shipped eggs going good.

TJ Only one of the Guinea eggs was fertile and it's developing in the mind reader bator (what am I going to do with one Guinea?!) along with 2 Serama eggs from my silkied Seramas and Tobin's one porcelain d'Uccle egg.In the R-com are 13 shipped Serama eggs from two sources.

LocalYokel aka Yokel 13 Dominicker 5 Leghorn, may be White or Brown, mostly Whites in that coop.(Not the cheery oldish dude Whites) Hope the Doms and Leghorns are fertile. 7 RIR 2 out of 3 eggs under broody bator are alive/developing, 1 RIR 1 Leghorn, tossed the other.
4 out of 5 Leghorn in bator showing veins! I have 5 White Leghorns in the bator right now Due the 25th

Venymae possibly fried her eggs at 113 degrees!! OH MY

Daxigait Hatch 1: 3 ccl, 7 Swedish flower hens, and 8 EE that were set on the 7th. Hatch 2: set 2/22 12 Ameruacana, and 2 blue black splash English Orpingtons
Replacement chicks ordered for next week.

gotro17 aka Shellee I can't sleep and just candled my eggs... What can I say? I'm at day 16.9999. About 1/4 of the eggs' AC haven't budged since Monday. Temps are a steady 100 and humidity has been finally stabilized at 38%. All babies are still kickin'! This is an important hatch- I am basically a surrogate for new best Crazy Chicken Lady friend, @Jessimom , and her Remaining Buff Brahma eggs. She has had such a disaster with her "DeathBator"! When I set these, I don't think either of us planned on her hatches she had going (that filled her bators) would turn out so sad. I really want these 6 to make it, along with our 12 silkies left! She needs chicks!!!

Hawk12 aka Kristie none of my last batch made I. I'm trying to pretend it never happened. I had the temp set too low and humidity too high. It was rough
1f622.png
My current batch should hatch this Saturday. I have 9 that are still kicking. They are brahmas again. Trying to get a big enough breeding stock. Right now I don't have a rooster and there will be no breeding without one I'm halfway into day 21 and no pips. There is movement by some of the eggs when I shine a light on them though. I've done everything right this time around so I'm a little concerned why I haven't any pips??

deserteggs227 eggs in lockdown all 7 still kicking 2/17 It's the morning of day 21 here,2/21 and all 4 of my Barnaul eggs are pipping. And my huge double yolker's air sack looks kinda funky. Is that normal?

Peachickie aka Nicole New bator is holding steady temps 9 of 11 for this weekends hatch. No hatching by me next weekend but my lil broody silkie is due the 28th or so. Hens have been kicking into high gear this last week. I set 100 eggs 2/20, gotta test out the capacity on the new bator60 eggs just hopped into the incubator. And I think I've found a source for Dutch bantam eggs for the EHAL

Auroradream26 aka Jess 30 turkey eggs in lockdown now.

ambe0487 2/1 I put the eggs in lockdown this morning because I will be busy getting ready for the snow storm that is suppose to hit over night here, day 18 actually starts at 3 p.m. 29 eggs, which comprise of 6 Isa brown/Legbar mix, 9 EE/ Bresse mix, and 14 Buff Orp. @ambe0487
Update?

Fire Ant Farm aka Kristin

slordaz barnyard mix, now RIR is matured too we are gonna play guess whose the daddy game as both roosters were on all of the hens, patiently trying to get spring here faster so can build the new coopsat 23 eggs at 2 am this morning 2/3 Lockdown is Wed Feb 10th (before bed) 6 are questionable 1 clear
19 looking good @slordaz
How did everything turn out? got an update?

S5apiotrowski aka Anastasia aka AC 13/18 BCM Hatched. 1 non-pipper, 1 early quitter, 3 died after pipping (humidity too high, eggs rolled by other chicks, I think the drowned) 2/3 Welsummers Hatched. One still alive/working on it, has plenty of air, but breathing looks difficult. Don't think it will make it. 1/2 Easter Eggers hatched. 1 was a clear. 1/5 mixed breeds hatched. 3 clear. 1 died in shell - mal-positioned and pip didn't break through internal membrane.

Chicken Hawk33 aka CH aka Seth setting a goose egg 2/16 we have a goose embryo.day four and we have a.heart.2/20

Jessimom aka Kathy 9 Buff Brahma and 4 silkie eggs went in to lock down on 2/24. 5 of the BB had draw downs and movement, 4 had movement, but no draw down. The silkies are only day 16, but I am only using the 1 'bator. I got 16 silkie/frilkie/sizzle and 6 Cream Leg Bars from Papa Brooder. I got them a few days earlier than I hoped, I'm going to set them as soon as my current lock down eggs hatch or DIS.

HeatherMarieR
13 chicks have hatched out so far. 11 of them are Bantam Cochins, and 2 are OEGB.

country lovin aka Ty 2 marans and 4 Olive eggers are going into the the bator-in-the-box for lockdown! 4 marans and 2 Olive eggers are on day 10. 2/25

campinghaws aka campin aka Sharon 20 eggs in the bator and 6 under a broody. The 7 hona eggs are good. 11 EE eggs are good. Two clears. Down to 18 total.

Tao Chick I had 5/5 Pavlovskaya hatch. 1/7 Brabanter hatch. 4 were DIS. I think humidity is the tricky part with Brabanters. I've tried dry incubation twice with poor results.
I got a surprise phone call from my post office. The eggs I thought were being sent out tomorrow arrived at my post office yesterday. Not the right timing for the HAL but I checked them out. They look like typical shipped eggs with a couple wiggly air cells. Probably will find some saddles at next candle. I had already planned on cleaning the incubator last night anyway so I got everything scrubbed and disinfected and set 18 Cream Brabanter eggs this morning.
Things I'm changing this time:

caeti21 12 conturnix quail placed 2/21 24 rir eggs 2/21 Thank you again,Jack @LocalYokel
6 pth SLW (they are the slow developing ones )still alive and growing they were placed 1/30v
3 pth bantam mixes(1/30 for 1 ) 2/10 for two
2 pth ameracauna eggs(2/5)(2/6) Last night i was able to move a few of my 1/30 eggs into lockdown when i candled them they looked fully developed and were moving , so fingers crossed and i was able to move my normal lockdown ones in as well so here they are 2 pth americaunavvv5 pth slw 3 pth

butterfliesdoku aka Vanessa Well my hatch is complete (day 23). I have 26 beautiful baby chicks for a total hatch rate of 85%. Because all of the chicks BUT ONE have muffs that means the father of most was my Easter Egger and the father of the one chick was the Silver Sebright/ Thai mix.
Thank you!!! My next hatch is due the 8th

sarah25bear aka Sarah I had Thursday and Friday off spent the last 2 days cutting down 2 trees 4 bushes digging out 3 grape vines pulling a lot of grass and weeds in the garden starting a few more seeds ... Lost A meat bird to unknown cause ... And tonight the eggs go into lockdown ... I work the next 6 days in a row so I will post when I see anything plus I will have an update about what goes into lockdown in a few hours...

CyndiD I have10 WH duck eggs being shipped to me next week. Is there a site I can read that will help me prepare the eggs for incubating?
I have not received my SWH eggs yet!! tomorrow or the next day???
I will be setting SWH duck eggs and Pekin duck eggs.... AND Australorp over LH, WCBP and NH chicken eggs.
My SWH duck eggs should be here tomorrow and I will have to set them 1 week early for HAL, oops, ordered them 1 week too early...

TrilliumAcres Thanks to your answers a few day ago and all the very valuable info that Sally Sunshine has put together I have 5 babies in the incubator with 2 eggs to go. First pip yesterday morning and first chick at around 6 pm last night. I woke up to 3 more chicks this morning and one more just hatched a few minutes ago. This is my first chick hatch ever and I am so excited! So THANK YOU ALL! Your wisdom is greatly appreciated! @TrilliumAcres
how did hatch go?

Meaghan Just put two duck eggs in the incubator this morning 2/15. First time experimental hatch! I set literally 10 or so breeds/mixed breeds. I got eggs from friends and my girls. There are 50 eggs total.

Math I incubate with the LG 9200.I set backyard mixed chicken eggs on Monday, February 15th for friends of ours. I set an incubator full. I think it was 68. Our friends need to replace brown egg layers.

bauerdog aka Joanne The bator is all cleaned out and waiting for the next batch. For shipped eggs, should I ask for them to be shipped on Monday the 29th for setting on Saturday the 5th? It takes 2 to 3 days for the eggs to get to my place....just worried if I ask for wednesday, they may be held up by the good ole USPS

DON956 Just set 48 eggs at 12pm central time. 2/19
12 RIR 12 Delaware 12 Plymouth Barred Rock 12 Golden Sex Link Due on the 11th of March,
Just candled the 48 eggs set 8 days ago.
1 unfertile
1 blood ring
1 stopped developing
45 eggs left but one has a hair thin crack but still developing and moving around inside ( don't know how I missed that one when setting them) 13 more days to go.

Chicknlvn . so it's my first time incubating. Today is day 7 so this morning I candled all my eggs (36 total), marked air cells and pulled blood ring/cracked eggs. Now for some reason I can't get my humidty to stabilize.... it's up to 38 and I can't get it to come down and stay down.

billiejw89 2/25 7 babies Hatched

kissofcrimson 2/23 Sadly the black Silkie didn't make it that I tried to help but the paint is doing fine. I hatched out 2 white silkies and a splash Ameraucana. My first ever hatch is doing great so far. 30 more eggs to go lol

Akrnaf2 aka Benny Sal. Count me in! Theis is my second setting! 4 Rumples Aracauna 5 BPR 3 PPR This time I am hopping for an higer percentage, of sucsseful hatches!

Chaos18 Nothing currently in the bator but I have 16 Dom eggs shipping out on the 29th and will be picking up 16-24 (Silver Pencil Rock and Partridge Rock) eggs on the 4th. I currently have 12 Ancona eggs cooking on day 2.

Roada Red I have 14 of my flocks eggs in the incubator today is day 8 and they are starting to form and they are mixed with my EE rooster and americauna hen that is also mixed with barred rock salmon faverole and silver penciled rock

NaJoBeLe aka Nathan As far as status goes I plan to let my shipped eggs sit and recandle tonight. Will prbly try to set them this weekend. Need to clean out the bator and do some tweaking but should have a chance to get it ready by sat/sun. Plan at this point is to set the 12 Partridge Rock eggs I had shipped and do a staggered hatch with my Partridge Rock mixes for the HAL. First time with a staggered hatch so we will see how it goes. Should work out ok since I have the loose air cells I plan to use a egg carton and will use the auto turner for my eggs. Update on the shipped eggs with loose air cells..all but 3 seem to have reattached. Still plan to do the styro cartons with bottoms cut out for incubation.

pjnbill22 We put. 9 midget white turkey eggs down this evening and hubby just went in to check the temp/humidity before going to bed. Everything looks great, but he heard a tapping sound. There are eighteen chicks in the room, but they were all sleeping. There are also 30+ assorted chicken eggs due to hatch tomorrow or Saturday in another incubator- I guess we have an EE who wants to get the worm, because one egg has a good sized pip hole in it and it keeps rocking back and forth! We're going to bed excited as if we were going to be grandparents again! I can hardly wait for morning

Mirajane I won my EBay auction last night for my Ayam Cemani Eggs! I'm awaiting their arrival!

Cynthia12 2/26 I have 13 swimming Bantam Barred Rock babies. 2 have pretty bad air cells, another 2 are not that great. So, will see how they do, if they make it through the second week. I find that's about the time the ones with the really bad air cells quit, if..they are going to quit. I think I am going to get me some bantam barred rock babies though. Whoot!

BantyChooks Setting some bantam eggs (Some of my own, some from a local source) on 3\5. (Easter HAL) I'm really hoping I have a good outcome this time!

lindalouly quail hatch I will be setting tomorrow at 4.. 11 eggs total in my bator...2/28

Shahtir101 I got me a broody serama! She has 3 eggs under her right now and my friend is going to bring me more serama eggs to put under her tomorrow! That means I won't set for the EHAL, but will still be around the same time.

Changes to Antibiotics Regulations Coming December 2016 most will need RX post #53348

By Dr. Mike Apley List of Affected Applications/MEDICINES CLICK HERE

NEW INFO TO GO INTO OUR NOTES LINKS PAGE!
Shipped Eggs = Change Of Plans! post #53845
Jess umbilical chick post #60663
Chick and Chicken Vitamins HAVE SOME ON HAND post #61039
Leg Issues cant stand but not spraddle post #61039
How a wafer Thermostat Works, link below
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/176419/how-does-a-wafer-thermostat-work
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/184563/how-does-a-wafer-work-and-when-do-i-need-a-new-one
Wry Neck Sallys chick post #60013

USING a aquarium pump to humidify incubator Begin post post #42512
TIPS n TRICKS to raising humidity in incubators post #42512
Brinsea Advance Incubator Humidity Pumps click HERE were put in humidity post
Chicken Canoe small aquarium air pump to push ambient air into my big cabinet.http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23906223 was put in humidity post

bday post #5832 help incu questions post #61725

Contests!

Contest #1: Guess How Many Eggs Will Be Set! Ends March 1st

To enter, go here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...ill-be-set-7th-annual-byc-easter-hatch-a-long

Contest #2: Photo Caption Contest #1 Ends March 21st
To enter, go here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...est-1-7th-annual-byc-easter-hatch-a-long/0_50

Contest #3: Flapper Contest Ends March 23rd
To enter, go here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...-contest-3-flapper-contest/0_50#post_16514776

Contest #4: Edible Easter Contest Ends March 15th
To enter, go here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...annual-easter-hatch-a-long/0_50#post_16515623

Contest #5: Cutest Baby Fowl Ends April 3rd
To enter, go here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...-fowl-7th-annual-byc-easter-hatch-a-long/0_50

Contest #6: Broodies and their Babies Ends April 1st
To enter, go here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...abies-7th-annual-byc-easter-hatch-a-long/0_50

Contest #7: Most Striking Male Fowl Ends March 25th
To enter, go here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...ntest-7th-annual-byc-easter-hatch-a-long/0_50

Contest #8: Natural Egg Photo Contest Ends April 5th
To enter, go here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...ntest-7th-annual-byc-easter-hatch-a-long/0_50

Contest #9: Other Fowl Contest Ends March 29th
To enter, go here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...-fowl-7th-annual-byc-easter-hatch-a-long/0_50

Contest #10: Photo Caption #2 Contest Ends March 31st
To enter, go here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...est-2-7th-annual-byc-easter-hatch-a-long/0_50

Contest #11: Peeps Art Contest Ends April 7th

Last edited:
[COLOR=333333]bday post #5832[/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333][COLOR=4B0082]Contests![/COLOR][/COLOR]

[COLOR=0000CD]Contest #1: Guess How Many Eggs Will Be Set![/COLOR][COLOR=000080] [/COLOR] [COLOR=B22222]Ends March 1st[/COLOR]

[COLOR=000000]To enter, go here:[/COLOR] https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...ill-be-set-7th-annual-byc-easter-hatch-a-long

[COLOR=0000CD]Contest #2:  Photo Caption Contest #1 [/COLOR] [COLOR=B22222]Ends March 21st[/COLOR]
To enter, go here:  https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...est-1-7th-annual-byc-easter-hatch-a-long/0_50

[COLOR=0000CD]Contest #3:  Flapper Contest [/COLOR] [COLOR=B22222]Ends March 23rd[/COLOR]
To enter, go here:  https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...-contest-3-flapper-contest/0_50#post_16514776

[COLOR=0000CD]Contest #4:  Edible Easter Contest  [COLOR=B22222]Ends March 15th[/COLOR][/COLOR]
To enter, go here:  https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...annual-easter-hatch-a-long/0_50#post_16515623

[COLOR=0000FF]Contest #5:  Cutest Baby Fowl  [/COLOR] [COLOR=B22222]Ends April 3rd[/COLOR]

[COLOR=0000FF]Contest #6:  Broodies and their Babies  [/COLOR] [COLOR=B22222]Ends April 1st[/COLOR]
To enter, go here:  https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...abies-7th-annual-byc-easter-hatch-a-long/0_50

[COLOR=0000FF]Contest #7:  Most Striking Male Fowl  [COLOR=A52A2A]Ends March 25th[/COLOR][/COLOR]
To enter, go here:  https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...ntest-7th-annual-byc-easter-hatch-a-long/0_50

[COLOR=0000FF]Contest #8:  Natural Egg Photo Contest [/COLOR] [COLOR=A52A2A]Ends April 5th[/COLOR]
To enter, go here:  https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...ntest-7th-annual-byc-easter-hatch-a-long/0_50

[COLOR=0000FF]Contest #9:  Other Fowl Contest [/COLOR] [COLOR=A52A2A]Ends March 29th[/COLOR]
To enter, go here:  https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...-fowl-7th-annual-byc-easter-hatch-a-long/0_50

[COLOR=0000FF]Contest #10:  Photo Caption #2 Contest [/COLOR] [COLOR=A52A2A]Ends March 31st[/COLOR]
To enter, go here:   https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...est-2-7th-annual-byc-easter-hatch-a-long/0_50

[COLOR=0000FF]Contest #11:  Peeps Art Contest  [COLOR=A52A2A]Ends April 7th[/COLOR][/COLOR]

My update is above
1f60a.png

Hi Sally

Firstly thank you for all your invaluable advice, you've been a great help.

I'm on my first hatch and made the mistake of setting Silkie (chicken) & khaki campbell (ducks) eggs together. (All at different stages)

I didn't realise at that point how different their humidity needs were, unfortunately when the chicks came time to hatch two drowned (which panicked me) so i helped the final two (in hindsight a bit early) and they didn't make it either.

I've tried to determine what went wrong by looking through your threads and I'm pretty sure the humidity was too high for them as they were swollen and wet.

I've got Khakis due from 1 weeks time and after reading on your thread that too low humidity is less bad than too high humidity I have brought the humidity down from 50-65% to between 30 & 50%

Their air cells range between normal small I'd say.

So my question is, should dropping the humidity so drastically allow the eggs to dry out a little and lose weight in time for hatching? OR could I have caused them worse damage?

I know the humidity needs to go up really high for lockdown on day 25 but I was wondering if 1 week at 30-40% will be time enough to correct any damage I may have done from too high humidity?

When I realised the chicks had died of too much humidity I emptied all the water out and started fresh. Since then I haven't added any water (1/2 days) and yet the humidity keeps climbing up to around 50% (i'm guessing this is water evaporating out of the eggs) I keep opening the bator every few hours to release it which lowers the humidity back down to around 30/40% and within an hour or so it's back up near 50% again.

Should I continue releasing the excess humidity until it stabilises?

So many questions, sorry! 1st timer and I know mistakes are inevitable but I don't want chicks/ducklings to suffer needlessly :(

Best wishes,

Vicky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom