INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! w/Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs No problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Holy smokes! You guys are prolific hatchers AND posters! Took me forever to read the 100+ posts since last night!

@LocalYokel I'm praying for peace for your dad and your family. Lost my mom to Congestive Heart failure in 1991 when she was only 58 years old. Interesting (at least to me) sidenote: She was one of the first women in the US to have heart bypass surgery. They'd been performing them on men, but not too many women. She was so young when she had her first heart attack - just 39 - but she'd lost a brother to heart disease when he was in his late 30s too. In the late 70's, Ma was taken up to the University of Minnesota hospital where the pioneer of the procedure, Dr. Lillihi (and I always spell his name wrong!) did her bypass. She lived to have another bypass in 1987, then had her aortic valve replaced. We lost her in 1991. She was the bravest woman I've ever known, and I miss her every day. I know what you're feeling right now and my heart goes out to you!

As for the barrel brooders, seems to me they'd sure get hot under there. I've learned that chicks need some chilling - watch a broody with her chicks. They aren't under her and warm 24/7 - they are too busy exploring to do much more than pop under for a quick warmup and then they're back to running around like crazy. Now, if you were to fabricate the barrel brooder, leave the door to it open, and have it within another wire pen so they were out most of the time and just running back in to warm up, that would probably work very well. My issue is (and I make no secret about it) I hate chicks not having the natural day/night cycles. Lights on them all of the time just isn't natural. They eat around the clock, they don't know that sundown means bedtime, and that sunup means another day has begun. Instead of just "going to bed" at sundown, they are active all day and night until they collapse right where they are from sheer exhaustion. And just when they get to sleep, the more wide awake ones are plucking on their feathers or tromping on them, waking them up. But, that's just me.

Okay, I've looked back through as much as I can remember, and I can't find a definition of this CAM you guys talk about. Is that even the right name? I remember something about checking air cells periodically on shipped eggs, and then the initials CAM but don't know what the heck that is. Help?

Without going all the way back, and using me excellent powers of deduction, looking at the barrel brooders (cool looking, BTW) I don't know if you're talking about building a brooder to use outdoors from hatch day forward, or if you're working on something as an intermediary brooder, when they need to hold in body heat, but don't necessarily require supplemental heat. But... the latter application has a great idea developed by Kassaundra. She took a 5 gal bucket, and either cut it in half (so it made 2 "caves") or laid it on it's side, and cut a door in it. Then, she drilled a bunch of holes in what would be the top of the cave, and dropped strips of polar fleece through, knotting them at the top so they dangled down almost to the floor inside the cave. The chicks could then snuggle in the fleece strips, like broody feathers. Made a nice transition from "needing heat" to not really needing the heat so much, but still on the needy side. You might also look at the "Ohio brooder". I'd go this route if not using a heating pad.
What I had in mind would work long-term, outdoors, inside the run. Given sufficient square footage inside the run, it could remain in place permanently. I saw the youtube videos, and like the 2x4 framing with the wire mesh for a floor; hadn't thought of that. The light in the top would provide a heat source for newly hatched chicks, and could be unplugged when heat was no longer needed. I'd probably put 2 doors in it; 1 in the end with wire mesh so the adults could see and smell the chicks, hopefully making later integration much easier, and another midway of the side for easier access to both ends. I'd eliminate the wire door closures (which are sure to break fairly quickly) and go with conventional hinges.

I have a few barrels on hand, from my dog-keeping days, but none with tops, or I'd build a brooder out of one after I finish the current coop build.

Last edited:
oh no!!!! read the info I gave!!!

according to my list, you have no eggs in the bator!!!!!  ughhhh MC   tag me with update lol  what breeds and info?  sorry did you post in the hal or here? 

CLEANING DAY!!! catch ya all later this afternoon!!!!

YES I PLANED ON IT I JUST DIDNT SEE IT UNTIL AFTER I HAD POSTED THAT BECAUSE THE OTHER POST IS ON THE OTHER PAGE SORRY FOR THE CAPITAL LETTERS I DIDNT NOTICE IT UNTIL I WAS HALFWAY DONE TYPEING

Good morning/afternoon all. Time to go shuffle the chickens one last time.

I'm hoping to integrate all the silkies -Right now I have the original breeding silkies - 2 are brooding, 2 hens and 1 roo are in the main run. There is also a pair of 5 month old buff silkies (she just started laying eggs) that have been living in the main coop/run. They keep to themselves, but get along fine with everyone. .I'm trying to integrate a 5 month old white roo with a swollen crop I inherited, along with all the silkies I still have from the NY hal and beyond. They range from 2 to 4 months. The buff pair and the 2 adult hens get along fine with the babies. The adult roo brutally attacks them. The hens try to protect the babies, but the poor roo is on his own. The white roo has been living with the babies.

How much time does everyone give their birds to integrate?

Will the big roo actually kill the babies?

Thanks!

Hey Yall,
Just wanted to let yall know why I aint been on so much.

My Pops is back in the Hospital.

He's on borrowed time with a failed heart, at 52.

He was given 6 months - 2 years. This was almost 4 years ago.

I dont know how "serious" it is this time, But recognizing the borrowed time, you just dont know what time will be the "Last."

Love Yall
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
I'm so sorry to hear that. I ope your dad gets many more years, but if he doesn't I'm sure your filling the ones he has with love.
hugs.gif

oh no!!! so sorry saris
hugs.gif
Thank you!

I'm so sorry Saris! Good luck with your remaining 3 Siam eggs!
Thank you!
hugs.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom