INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! w/Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs No problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who is it with HRIR? I noticed mine looking a little brick-y today. One of the pullets was a little lean and gangly, but she's filled out and now I don't know which one it was.

I've caught the roo mounting anything with a pulse, so now I'm tempted to move them to their own pen.

@Ur-ur-ur-urrr

Who is it with HRIR? I noticed mine looking a little brick-y today. One of the pullets was a little lean and gangly, but she's filled out and now I don't know which one it was.

I've caught the roo mounting anything with a pulse, so now I'm tempted to move them to their own pen.

Tony @NestingHillsSC is the only one I know of on this thread that has HRIR. The one in the back is definitely showing the classic brick shape. Might just be the position she's in, but her back angle seems a little high. As far a not being lean and gangly anymore, feathers can cover an awful lot, so the only way to know if she's filled in is to pick them all up and feel them. The keel bone will tell if she/they are lean, just right, or obese. Probably preaching to the choir, but thought I'd say it in case you didn't know. I see you're a Purina fan... also.
clap.gif

Last edited:
Well, I can dust off my hands and go wash the melted chocolate away! My final entry in the Edible Easter Hatch-a-long contest is posted. If you haven't visited there, go take a look at the remarkable stuff people have submitted - a Jello creation that boggles the mind as you stare at it trying to figure out how it was made. There are so many adorable cakes that the contestants are worthy of an episode of "Cake Wars". So many really adorable entries all I can say is I'm glad I'm not a judge!! And if you have an idea for an entry, there's still time! Entries are open until the 15th! C'mon...what have ya got to lose?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...ontest-for-the-7th-annual-easter-hatch-a-long

Well, I can dust off my hands and go wash the melted chocolate away! My final entry in the Edible Easter Hatch-a-long contest is posted. If you haven't visited there, go take a look at the remarkable stuff people have submitted - a Jello creation that boggles the mind as you stare at it trying to figure out how it was made. There are so many adorable cakes that the contestants are worthy of an episode of "Cake Wars". So many really adorable entries all I can say is I'm glad I'm not a judge!! And if you have an idea for an entry, there's still time! Entries are open until the 15th! C'mon...what have ya got to lose?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...ontest-for-the-7th-annual-easter-hatch-a-long
Lose? Nothing. Gain? A LOT of weight!
pop.gif

Who is it with HRIR? I noticed mine looking a little brick-y today. One of the pullets was a little lean and gangly, but she's filled out and now I don't know which one it was. I've caught the roo mounting anything with a pulse, so now I'm tempted to move them to their own pen.
Tony @NestingHillsSC is the only one I know of on this thread that has HRIR. The one in the back is definitely showing the classic brick shape. Might just be the position she's in, but her back angle seems a little high. As far a not being lean and gangly anymore, feathers can cover an awful lot, so the only way to know if she's filled in is to pick them all up and feel them. A prominent keel will tell if she/they are lean, just right, or obese. Probably preaching to the choir, but thought I'd say it in case you didn't know. I see you're a Purina fan... also. :clap
I don't know anything about them! That's why I came over. :D The one that was lean had like a tomboy pullet shape, not like underweight. I thought maybe she just had poor type, but I guess she was just a little behind the other two developmentally. I had other pics but deleted them. :/ I don't know much about these birds; I got them from a BYCer who needed to sell her flock in a hurry due to family distress. It was a total impulse decision, but I have not regretted it for a second. Ha! Purina. I usually get the Dumor because it's a little less, but they were out of pellets. But I like their pretty bags.

I see you have a board around your run. How did you do that and still allow for water to get out and keeping predators out? I am thinking I will dig and put a section of pipe under an edge with a cover/grate. What do you think?
One run has landscape timbers (not recommended) around the bottom, and the other run has 4"x4" treated posts (recommeded). There is just enough gap in the corners to allow water to drain, as long as it isn't a torrential rain like we had a couple of days ago. I found myself in the middle of the downpour digging a small trench around one of my pens using a hoe. The run turned into an oil slick, so I made a trip to TSC today and bought a couple bales of straw. As for predator deterrent, I did nothing underground. My deterrents are about 24" above the ground. I have 4 Solar Nite Eyes around the perimeter of the two coops/runs, and no critters have ever attempted to get in.

Last edited:
“Selfies with Fowl”

Photo Contest

"Springing in the Chicks"

2016 April Hatch-a-Long

Hosted by Mike & Sally

gSF-x7p6ySwNkNlDm7sE5RFBKZyAa4E_NbVrjvZeJ8apLO6_JDjPrZocbCDNAbhQb9koVijaDSDSgWP5lwY0pqX-19Skc4PMnE2kOlNglgcRd9ScB6fbRF_Cjikg6Frx1ogryBjw

We want to see how creative you are taking 'selfies' of yourself and your Fowl Friends! The requirements? You have to be in the photo and it has to be one you took yourself (but if others are in the photo with you and you have their permission to enter it, that's okay too!)

CREATIVE, FUNNY AND UNIQUE PHOTOS ARE ENCOURAGED;

SELFIE STICKS MAY BE USED!

3 Picture entries per contestant

To submit your entries, follow rules below and post your photos in this thread!

HAL Participants ONLY!

Continental U.S. ONLY (Not Alaska or Hawaii)

1st Prize

12+ Silkie Hatching Eggs!

Donated by, Jessimom
hiT5niIYobNHvnUeIo5W15g_FwUfL-4AxjIhWPflWKJKQni0NLs8AjaCD26JJ4qCia4QC3eKbXMh2tT2BtpsD6Xc_VAItbAK8P8SDhBRE_FvjnI9vtd_3goFPA3J_c4bhHeQQVjv

EVm4NPAkSYpFO89WiNiDtjZ0SGpRYKyiZI0363NA5UtEQslwNvOIZE7An5cbEADdu7--BcGxpDt7EvY_Jt8BcszquWjSmPZt7datab9ADGm1-IIIuSaDbBdwjhqqQdfMnyeIM7Rm
2nd Prize

Chicken Shaped Silver Tone Wire Egg Collecting Basket

11.4" x 7.1" x 9.8" (eggs NOT included)​
Donated by, Sally Sunshine

BdeUGT_iIXeMER-HY6QfvmM4b632gMD7Uf1QHPWHehKv216ZyZdz5m-vu8W9UbZmimtdn-VOh7IC_T_7kMru_3yaEV7Vf_2hhcN4j8UMh4TB2r3lkcY3btWIXx_sdnFPMDHWgre-
gu4Unckh5I6m4WkGrut6SBUEbuzoqIm7xBWgZysIOr4Zgl9F3sOqolp5S1PHDkrcCR8odZZTiwkIsl4dbdilMqN49Lvq3fUmEMCoMzvhEXEFwgpkFD82PnFoPHxGi-d19LBGx9HM

Aw shucks, a contest I want to enter, with prizes I want, and I'm in the wrong HAL!!!!!
he.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom