INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! w/Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs No problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cats and dogs don't mix with chicks very well... but cats and dogs and chickens can be a different story...

x2 I've had a couple of barn cats who spent most of their time sunning themselves in the open doorway of my walk-in coop before I quit using it; never a problem. Never had chicks running around, though.

Last edited:
x2 I've had a couple of barn cats who spent most of their time sunning themselves in the open doorway of my walk-in coop before I quit using it; never a problem.
This is the only time I've photographed the cat with any of the chickens, but this cat is an exceptional hunter. I've seen her take countless birds out of the bird feeder, an excellent mouser, and she's even caught a few squirrels. She'll stroll through the middle of the flock and she nor the birds pay much attention to each other. I know better than to allow her anywhere near a small chick, because it wouldn't end well for the chick. Same thing goes for the dogs...

Last edited:
@ChickenCanoe

CC I have a question on honey bees. In California there's a shrub/tree (weed tree) called California Buckeye the pollen of which is supposed to be poisonous to the bees. Do you know anyway around this problem. I have wanted to do hives here but didn't want to kill bees. Apparently it keeps the bees from flying.

I have red that some hybrid bees have some resistant to the poison

@ChickenCanoe

CC I have a question on honey bees. In California there's a shrub/tree (weed tree) called California Buckeye the pollen of which is supposed to be poisonous to the bees. Do you know anyway around this problem. I have wanted to do hives here but didn't want to kill bees. Apparently it keeps the bees from flying.
I think if it isn't the predominant source of pollen it may not be a problem.
You may want to look through this PDF. It contains a bunch of information on the CA buckeye.
http://www.diablobees.org/downloads/CA_Beekeeping_V2.pdf

Last edited:
I think the only reason my cat hasn't gone for the chicks is he's old and arthritic and loves the heat coming from the brooders.He'd probably crawl in there and sleep with them if he could jump better.
You should put the cat in with the chicks to see how it reacts. If all goes well, maybe put a door for it to go in and out. It's not mine, but you might get a pic or two like this...

Hiding from it is futile! 

Can you stop bugging me? I have had "CALL DUCKS" running through my head all day! I know you want me to get ducks, but filling my head upnwith ducks so much I can't think is a bit much! :lau :oops:

Awesome!! news!! I actually use a layer of wax paper and then two layers of papertowels over it so I can add a boost of humidity.

UPDATE?  @angelikimarie

@lozerface79
Matt these are way small aircells for day 14, lower that to 20! recandle in two days!

I am doing good, breathing is fine finally!  only a bit of weening on occasion!  how are you?

this shows the timeline of stages .....@chickerchick
  good luck!!
[COLOR=FF0000]MARKING AIR CELLS DAY 18, DRAW DOWN, INTERNAL PIP, EXTERNAL PIP, and ZIPPING [/COLOR]post #35770
[COLOR=FF0000]Pips and ZIPS ARE NOT THE SAME PATIENCE is a MUST![/COLOR]
LOLZZZZZZZZ
good news

morning!!

I nearly fell over when she showed that to me the first time! :love

Whut? Really???  WOW yer smart!!!  I bet you have a good hatch!
WAIT  YOU CAN?????? 

I am just quoting H101, do you have any idea how much time I spend reading that and the notes links? :lau

More hours than I really wish to admit! :oops:

WOW Banti Sweets!!!
Whites should be able to remember the entire thing by now too!!

WOW you guys are smart!!
Maybe we can just put a few of these quotes together for others and thats enough of a guide!!  they have questions they can just ask them here!!

have a great day!!

awesomeness!!!!!!  pictures pictures!!

mornin MC! hows babygirl?

mornin cc!!

great news!!  mornin Peter!!

LOL! :lau

PS- I can open H101 if I go into mobile too.... Just tried it...

What should I be able to remember? I've already forgotten :idunno

:gig

x2  I've had a couple of barn cats who spent most of their time sunning themselves in the open doorway of my walk-in coop before I quit using it; never a problem. Never had chicks running around, though.

X3. The neighborhood cat is great with the chickens, won't even look twice at the bantams. Same with one of the dogs that comes over.... ONLY ONE though; the rest are killers!
-Banti

So how did the rescue go? Looks like you pulled him BACK, rather than the rest of the way through?

I pulled him back but we both had to drive back through as there was no where else to turn around.....we made it back through again.....which is good as I couldn't have walked out from there.....we were way back in the middle of nowhere

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom