INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! w/Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs No problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yea I'm waiting for it to warm up a bit before going outside!!!

Speaking of fruits and nuts. I pruned most trees this weekend and fertilized them as well. More to do today. Apples are next. I did get some grafting done with the new tool my brother showed me. It works great. Much better cuts than with the pocket knife. Also going to try grafting tomatoes with it.

I have a neck warmer I warm up in the microwave before doing my chores. It's cold out there in the morning right??!!

I have a neck warmer I warm up in the microwave before doing my chores. It's cold out there in the morning right??!!
And the afternoon, and the evening. Don't know about night; I stay indoors after dark so I don't walk up on a polar bear.
gig.gif

Is it possible to graft one specie onto another, ie. a pear to, say, an apple, to get 2 fruits from 1 tree?

As long as they are in same family. Pear to Apple won't work as far as I know but I don't know all to grafting there is to know. Pears are harder to graft than apples. Apples are the recommended starter tree. Really fun to take a root stock of your choice and put a branch of a tree you like on it and get the same tree. Different root stocks are for different climates and soil conditions even different heights of trees are possible. Really gets involved it is like customizing your own tree once you find the right root stock. And like chickens get the wrong one they don't do as well. Lot of time involved

Some guy from the Midwest moved here and became a salesman at the furniture store. He sold me a couch last night. He asked me if I have to worry about the bears all the way out in Sandy. (like 30min from Portland) everyone thinks it's like way country for some reason. Anyway I just laughed and said no, but we have seen some pretty big raccoons!

I'm afraid to even go look at my ducks....I'll finish this cup of coffee and go out and feed and water them....I have no idea how cold it actually got if it was still negative 22 at 10am.....but last night was the test for them....I have igloos made of straw bales for them to get in....if I lose my ducks too cold I'll just be done with them.....but everyone has assured me they will be fine.....I'm shocked my wife's car started this morning I thought for sure she was gonna be waking me up to take her to work.

I'm afraid to even go look at my ducks....I'll finish this cup of coffee and go out and feed and water them....I have no idea how cold it actually got if it was still negative 22 at 10am.....but last night was the test for them....I have igloos made of straw bales for them to get in....if I lose my ducks too cold I'll just be done with them.....but everyone has assured me they will be fine.....I'm shocked my wife's car started this morning I thought for sure she was gonna be waking me up to take her to work.

In my experience they are far better suited for the cold than the chickens. I've never dealt with anything below 20 degrees though..
hu.gif

It's always funny to see them molt, mine looked so miserable. One did let me go up and scratch her, which seemed to give some relief so I guess it's similar to when I shave my legs and the stubble is growing in. Itches like mad!

I've heard they can molt in winter but never actually had it happen before. Mine molt in either spring or fall, never winter. I just gave them extra protein (boiled quinoa, cat food, egg) and it seems to have gone fine. They look so plump and their feathers look glossy!

As long as they are in same family. Pear to Apple won't work as far as I know but I don't know all to grafting there is to know. Pears are harder to graft than apples. Apples are the recommended starter tree. Really fun to take a root stock of your choice and put a branch of a tree you like on it and get the same tree. Different root stocks are for different climates and soil conditions even different heights of trees are possible. Really gets involved it is like customizing your own tree once you find the right root stock. And like chickens get the wrong one they don't do as well. Lot of time involved
We had pear, apple years ago; birds got'em b4 the fruit ever ripened. We should have netted them, but never did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom