INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! w/Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs No problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So lately, I have been only getting around a dozen eggs a day out of my 40+ hen's. And, since I have been home for spring break, I let them out to free range. Well, I decided that I would go out in the bushes and look for a "secret" nest where they have been laying their eggs. And I found this!

It was under one of my mesquite trees with a bunch of grass made into a little hideout.

I caught one of my Naked Neck pullets doing that...

I hope the pipped eggs hatch soon. The chick in the brooder is very lonely!!!
I've been there - solo chick crying all night long. Get a hand mirror and put it up against the side of the brooder - so it won't fall (with the mirror part extending to the bottom of the brooder). My Paula quieted down and would sit right up against it like it was her little friend. Got me through until her new friends came the following week.

Came home a little early from work to get more done on the next tractor for the little CLs (who are SOOOOO ready to move outside!). Started raining just as it was getting dark - managed to get all the tools in before any got wet.

Have I mentioned lately how much I adore my work boots?! Ariat Work Hogs, of course!

The roof over the mudroom where the brooders are is metal, so it's a little loud with the rain we are having tonight. I reassured the babies at first, and then went to go check on them again a few minutes ago. Apparently they are no longer afraid, but still can't sleep with the noise, so they are telling sweet little chickie bedtime stories to each other.
love.gif

I've been enjoying the "fruits" of my winery trip last week while catching up.

About to face plant - gotta get some Zzzzz's so I can get some good work done finishing the tractor tomorrow. (Then, I'll need to immediately start tractor #3...
he.gif
)

- Ant Farm

@Fire Ant Farmwhere did you get the plans? Or better yet, what are the conduit measurements and how do you do it? The rest I can figure out.
Sleep well!
I am going to bed too.
Night all!

Thanks for the tip, I will try the mirror. That little chick is awfully talkative!! I caught one of my Naked Neck pullets doing that... I've been there - solo chick crying all night long. Get a hand mirror and put it up against the side of the brooder - so it won't fall (with the mirror part extending to the bottom of the brooder). My Paula quieted down and would sit right up against it like it was her little friend. Got me through until her new friends came the following week. Came home a little early from work to get more done on the next tractor for the little CLs (who are SOOOOO ready to move outside!). Started raining just as it was getting dark - managed to get all the tools in before any got wet. Have I mentioned lately how much I adore my work boots?! Ariat Work Hogs, of course! The roof over the mudroom where the brooders are is metal, so it's a little loud with the rain we are having tonight. I reassured the babies at first, and then went to go check on them again a few minutes ago. Apparently they are no longer afraid, but still can't sleep with the noise, so they are telling sweet little chickie bedtime stories to each other. :love I've been enjoying the "fruits" of my winery trip last week while catching up. About to face plant - gotta get some Zzzzz's so I can get some good work done finishing the tractor tomorrow. (Then, I'll need to immediately start tractor #3...:he ) - Ant Farm

@Sally Sunshine Hi Sally, just popped in to say "Hi" and to give you my 3/17/16 hatch update. Started with 23 eggs, 7 were infertile at day 7 candling as well as 1 early death. Still had 15 eggs cooking on day 14. Came up on day 18 and most looked good, but had a couple that were a little iffy, but I left them in. Day 21 12 hatched, 3 were DIS in shell, late death, no internal pip & shrink wrapped. Hatched 12/15 :ya

@Fire Ant Farm where did you get the plans? Or better yet, what are the conduit measurements and how do you do it? The rest I can figure out.
Sleep well!
I am going to bed too.
Night all!

Got them here:

http://farmmarketingsolutions.com/stress-free-chicken-tractor-plans/

Good plans - glad I used them.

But conduit works this way:

Comes in 10ft lengths (get 3/4" EMT conduit - it's ~$3.50 each here). Per instructions, I made a 90° bend in the center and two 45° bends on either side using a conduit bender - you can see from my photos how I attached it (this worked better for me than attaching along the outside.)

You look on your conduit bender and it gives you an "off set". I had to experiment to figure out the marks for the bends (wasting a few pieces in the process) - let me save you some drama. For a 6" offset bender, make a mark at 55.5" for the 90° bend, and for the 45° bends, make marks 10" from each end. You should Google how to bend conduit and look at videos for the actual process. Not hard, but unfamiliar, so good to watch first.

Very useful skill - I'm going to use them for gardening and maybe make a greenhouse...

- Ant Farm

I caught one of my Naked Neck pullets doing that... I've been there - solo chick crying all night long. Get a hand mirror and put it up against the side of the brooder - so it won't fall (with the mirror part extending to the bottom of the brooder). My Paula quieted down and would sit right up against it like it was her little friend. Got me through until her new friends came the following week. Came home a little early from work to get more done on the next tractor for the little CLs (who are SOOOOO ready to move outside!). Started raining just as it was getting dark - managed to get all the tools in before any got wet. Have I mentioned lately how much I adore my work boots?! Ariat Work Hogs, of course! The roof over the mudroom where the brooders are is metal, so it's a little loud with the rain we are having tonight. I reassured the babies at first, and then went to go check on them again a few minutes ago. Apparently they are no longer afraid, but still can't sleep with the noise, so they are telling sweet little chickie bedtime stories to each other. :love I've been enjoying the "fruits" of my winery trip last week while catching up. About to face plant - gotta get some Zzzzz's so I can get some good work done finishing the tractor tomorrow. (Then, I'll need to immediately start tractor #3...:he ) - Ant Farm
no,I didnt

my first hatch just completed I got 11 out of 19 eggs hatched 2 of the late hatchers have splayed legs I'm doing the band aid method the one that didn't hatch had a very small air cell and the shells were very thick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom