INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! w/Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs No problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote: Oh, I'm sorry.
hugs.gif

Good week for hatching. So far I have 230 chicks that I pulled from the incubators, and the slow pokes (Welsummers and Marans) are still in there and not counted.

Quote: oh good!!! then you can put them in as they draw down if your around to candle every few hours!

Quote: ya Conure however its spelled... dont know much about it..... I think ChickenCanoe can help tell me how to care for it and what exactly Sammy is! Kids love him!

Good week for hatching. So far I have 230 chicks that I pulled from the incubators, and the slow pokes (Welsummers and Marans) are still in there and not counted.
Great news!!!

Quote: me too granny that hadda suck!

I have a question for all the quail hatchers. We have a friend that lives up in the hills. There are a bunch of wild quail that live nearby, but there are so many predators, that they are disappearing faster than they are replenishing. He was wondering if we would hatch quail for him, that he could re-release around his property. He says they do a great job of keeping down on the bugs, and he'd probably eat some of them as well.

If they hatch in an incubator, can they ever be released out in the wild? If they can, at what age?

@daxigait Congratulations on the piglets!!
A number of places sell quail for exactly this purpose, at least here in Texas. Including the place where I eventually plan to get my own quail (whenever I do that, once this chicken nonsense settles down) - Diamond H Ranch. They do hatching eggs, but only provide chicks and adult birds locally - Bobwhite quail. The adults are strictly raised without human contact so that they can be released to be wild. If I had more property, I'd do this, and put out quail feeders (not to hunt, just to have them around). I'm sure there are other folks in other areas. But it sounds like if the plan is to release them, they should be raised in a certain way... I'm sure other more knowledgeable quail folk will speak up on this.

I just sold this handsome cockerl For 45$! I have asked 50$
Good deal isn't it?
lol.png

He's lovely, and that IS a great deal!
clap.gif

Howdy.... I don't know maybe I'll sleep tonight...... Sorry I got a lot on my mind...... After four days without sleep today might be interesting..... I just hope I don't fall a sleep during the race tonight!!!! TEXAS BABY!!!!

So sorry, Phil. I don't always say it, but you are constantly forever in my thoughts and prayers for your health, your insomnia, and your wife's health.
hugs.gif

Quote: Such a relief! My property is sloping, especially where the big garden is installed, so I know the special hell that is microclimate - it's down to certain very specific beds will predictably freeze on a really cold night and others won't.
he.gif

I'm sure I'll never be able to catch up on posts! Been MIA...hubby has strain B of the flu and is really sick, I'm now sick and night before last, the hospital called us and said my son's blood cultures had grown bacteria and they needed us to come back ASAP (at 9pm they called and the hospital is a little over 1.5hrs away) So we were at the hospital all night and now we're home BUT waiting on results from NEW blood cultures and additional tests.

ANYWAY! We're all resting, hydrating - I've prob never felt so awful and tired in my whole life.

Hope everyone else is doing way better than us!
2764.png
1f60a.png
More get well vibes to add to the ones sent by PM - here's hoping everyone gets better soon.
fl.gif

Could be coccidiosis... How does his abdominal cavity feel compared to the others? Wet his belly and check for purple areas. By Day ten their yolks are absorbed, so his belly should not be bloated at all.

-Kathy
Kathy, I missed the part of this post about purple spots on his belly. Earlier his belly was already really wet from all his diarrhea, and yes, there were some purple spots as I recall. What do I make of that? I just checked him, belly no longer wet and starting to dry out and fluff up again (decreased diarrhea - YAY) - I suppose it feels a little bit boggy, though not distended (though he's getting better I think), but I don't have a healthy chick awake right now to poke in the belly for comparison.

He still can't walk, but he's struggling more to rearrange himself (or when I hold him), super liquid diarrhea seems to have decreased. He seems to drink better and more when I let him drink from a little cup (vs. syringe), so I'm not able to get input measurements, but I am having him drink as much as he can stand (and then some) every 30-45 minutes. (I have my watch set). I'll probably do this as long as I'm awake (waking him up for it). Probably won't set alarms and do it all night, though. Here's hoping that (presuming it is cocci, which seems about right) the meds continue to work and he gets better quickly. I'm inclined to treat with the drench for the full 3-5 days that the package says - what are your thoughts?

@DwayneNLiz Here are better, or at least daylight pictures of the litter you asked for.

These are SOOOOOO cute!!!!! Sorry about losing the little one, but so happy about the others! You will sell along with mother, correct? (Did I read correctly?)
I've been a little busy the past few days. After getting limbs cut off of the pecan tree, I did all the cleanup and cutting up of a 5'x10' trailer-load of smoker wood. Even helped load it. Today I started construction of the new coop. After setting the posts and caps, I was surprised at how large a 12'x16' building is. Not only that, it's 9'3" from the top of the wall to the ground, which should allow me to have a 3' space underneath the entire building and still have 6' clearance inside. This shaded area will come in handy during the middle of summer. I'm going to double-check the posts in the morning to make sure everything is square, then mix some QuickCrete and fill the post holes. It's not much to look at right now, but this is it so far...

My coops have areas 3 ft high underneath the henhouse portion - it's a really great shaded and sheltered area to have in a really hot climate that suffers from thunderstorms. I actually hang feeders and waterers from the framing under there, and also put in the dust bath under there. On the second coop I learned, and I built an additional "short door" on either side and hung the feeders and waterer such that I could get access from the side without having to stoop and crawl under too far...

Quote: We haven't formally met, Granny, but Hi!
frow.gif

Around here, most years we have "Wummer" - winter going directly into summer (though we often have a week or two of spring in between). This year has been nicer so far (fingers crossed...)

So, in between nursing the little sick chick, I got about half of the lawn mowing done before it got a little too dark for me to see obstacles I shouldn't go over (my neighbor was mowing well after dark though!). I tried to dig to plant the blackberries, but at my chosen location, I found a solid slab of limestone 2" under the surface!!! (This did NOT help the sore back situation, of course!) I selected a secondary location, and confirmed black soil that seems to go down far enough - I'll do the rest of the digging tomorrow, and hopefully the planting.

Oh, and while I have amprolium on hand for Cocci, I thought I should maybe get another package, just to be sure. Went to three different feed stores - ALL sold out. It's chick-raising season, and I guess everyone's dealing with cocci. All the more reason to keep certain things around in hand all the time. If I was forced to pick just one such thing, it would be amprolium...

- Ant Farm

We haven't formally met, Granny, but Hi!
frow.gif

Around here, most years we have "Wummer" - winter going directly into summer (though we often have a week or two of spring in between). This year has been nicer so far (fingers crossed...)

So, in between nursing the little sick chick, I got about half of the lawn mowing done before it got a little too dark for me to see obstacles I shouldn't go over (my neighbor was mowing well after dark though!). I tried to dig to plant the blackberries, but at my chosen location, I found a solid slab of limestone 2" under the surface!!! (This did NOT help the sore back situation, of course!) I selected a secondary location, and confirmed black soil that seems to go down far enough - I'll do the rest of the digging tomorrow, and hopefully the planting.

Oh, and while I have amprolium on hand for Cocci, I thought I should maybe get another package, just to be sure. Went to three different feed stores - ALL sold out. It's chick-raising season, and I guess everyone's dealing with cocci. All the more reason to keep certain things around in hand all the time. If I was forced to pick just one such thing, it would be amprolium...

- Ant Farm

Wummer!!! good one!!

Not me kristin, I would get the sulfa med if I had to have one, it covers more

I keep a sulfa product from jeffferslivestock.com
called SMZ-Med 454 this on hand

Soluble powder containing 100% sodium sulfamethazine per packet.
Add 2 Tbsp to each gallon of drinking water of chickens for the control and treatment of infectious coryza, coccidiosis, acute fowl cholera, and Pullorum disease and turkeys for coccidiosis.
Treats bacterial pneumonia, bacterial scours and E. Coli in swine.
Treats cattle for bacterial pneumonia (BRD), shipping fever, foot rot, calf diphtheria, and acute mastitis.

http://www.jefferspet.com/products/...84af9fa2600f00000499/533884af9fa2600f0000049c

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom