INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! w/Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs No problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
No problem I have the same problem. The rain is nice hope it keeps up like they say it will. What type of chickens do you have? I've a mix mostly, some Orpington's and Altsteirer that hatched for the NY Hal hoping to get eggs mid May.

Hi
I have a chocolate orp rooster and 10 laying hens from mcmurrays ornamental layer collection.
1 salmon favorelle
1 golden campine
3 EE
2 polish top hats
1 cuckoo Maran
2 Egyptian fayroumi

And 4 old layers that I don't have the heart to cull

Just had my first hatch. 8 babies.

The Fhayumi is one of the most Marek's resistent breed!
http://www.jarvm.com/articles/Vol4Iss2/Duguma.pdf

I've been a little busy the past few days. After getting limbs cut off of the pecan tree, I did all the cleanup and cutting up of a 5'x10' trailer-load of smoker wood. Even helped load it. Today I started construction of the new coop. After setting the posts and caps, I was surprised at how large a 12'x16' building is. Not only that, it's 9'3" from the top of the wall to the ground, which should allow me to have a 3' space underneath the entire building and still have 6' clearance inside. This shaded area will come in handy during the middle of summer. I'm going to double-check the posts in the morning to make sure everything is square, then mix some QuickCrete and fill the post holes. It's not much to look at right now, but this is it so far...

I need a structure just like that to grow hops on.

a buntch of my eggs from my pet chicken are not even fertal
A bunch ... fertile.
My,eggs are not developing like they should
They may not until you figure out your thermometer issue.

I know you wont like me if I say get rid of the cats
lau.gif
so I wont
Or put them back in the house where they belong. Then no unnecessary electric use in the barn.

Originally Posted by Sally Sunshine

How to Prevent
Chickens from Getting Coccidiosis

A few good management practices will help control coccidiosis. Contact your veterinarian for full details.
  • Anticoccidial drugs mixed in the feed are used to limit high levels of infection.
  • Keep chicks, feed and water away from droppings.
  • Roost birds over wire netting if brooding arrangements make this possible.
  • Place water vessels on wire frames to eliminate a concentration of wet droppings, in which the chicks can walk to pick up or spread the disease.
  • Keep litter dry and stirred frequently. Remove wet spots and replace with dry litter.
  • Avoid overcrowding.
  • If coccidiosis does break out, start treatment immediately.
That's the only one that is really necessary. Coccidia can't complete their lifecycle without moisture.

OH I used to take mine in getting the same one refilled each time. I forgot about the return tank situation. Can you test where the leak is using dish soap or did you do that already.
None of the places around here have the ability to fill. They have the refilled tanks delivered to the store.

The Fhayumi is one of the most Marek's resistent breed!
http://www.jarvm.com/articles/Vol4Iss2/Duguma.pdf
X2

I've never seen any unusual chickens in our local feed stores. BR, BO, NHR, RIR, EE etc.

Same here. No one is adventurous.

As for the discussion of Marek's in baby chicks. I doubt you'll see it under 3 weeks of age and more likely not until 12 weeks. The incubation period is 2 weeks and a chick in a brooder is not likely to be exposed.

Last edited:
She should be able to handle a dozen with no problem...maybe more. If other hens have access to her nest box, be sure you mark her eggs so you can remove any that aren't hers; staggered hatches can get touchy if you're not used to them.

Best to have a 'bator & brooder fired up & ready to take over in case your broody suddenly decides to quit setting her eggs, like mine did last year.

umm how about a LF Cochin that just went broody? She fills the nest and then some. Big old fluffy sweet gal till she gets broody, then she's fiesty as a bantam EE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom