INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! w/Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs No problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jun 17, 2012 - Uploaded by tdbarani
My nearly 3 year old hen, Buttercup, is laying internally and I have to drain ... This is my process for draining ...

Mrs. Cowl, our hen with Peritonitis, getting her abdomen dr ...

Feb 11, 2014 - Uploaded by Tammy White

This poor hen moves like a penguin because she has Peritonitis, ... By draining the fluids, gradually, & dosing ...

Tapping Ascites Fluid From An Egg Perotinitis Hen - YouTube

Mar 18, 2015 - Uploaded by Gretchen Sweetheart Silkies

Thank you Ashleigh Fitzpatrick for helping me make this video. ... Fluid can be drained from these hens to ...

Sick Hen with Fluid in Abdomen 271010 - YouTube

Oct 27, 2010 - Uploaded by Ross Perry

PoultryHealth.com brings you 2 short video clips of a sick henwith a floppy ... is outside the intestines the ...

Thank you!! I've been youtubing draining videos. I was going to have a late breakfast, but I'm no longer hungry...lol. I will need to go to the pet store and hope they sell syringes.

I watched one video that said not to drain all fluid in 1 sitting if there is a lot of it, because it can cause the chicken to go into shock? Is that valid?

Again, thank you!!!
When I do it, I drain all of it at once.

-Kathy

@Sally Sunshine

The first hatch I assisted getting two chicks out, one did not make it. The 2nd half of the staggered hatch I got 3/6, which was good in my mind.

I have restocked the incubator and have 12 of my Brabanter eggs on day 10ish. about 9 of them look like they are developing.

Quote: Needle should be 18 gauge or larger, 22 is too small. 30, 35 or 60 ml syringe will make it go much quicker. When I do it, I use or 6 30/35 ml syringes. Hook one up drain. Leave needle in place, remove syringe, attach empty syringe, repeat until fluid is drained. The goal is to get as much fluid drained makin the least amount of holes. Make sense?

Disclaimer: I didn't watch all of each videos, so I can't vouch for them.
hide.gif

-Kathy

Awesome. My dad has one with a curved handle, It has 2 blades. One is long, like the guy in the video is using, and the other one is shorter and wider, straight on the cutting edge for cutting brush. I love that thing. Gives a huge abd work out. And I agree, scything in the sun is not a fun thing. Also need to be on the look out for yellow jacket nests!

Last edited:
Simple? No. There is nothing simple about common core.
Quote:
They have screwed up everything for example, they have done away with or redone even borrowing and carrying from a basic understanding of tens in our system. Everything is convoluted before they have a grasp of the basics.
Just like in reading all the sight word emphasis without any phonics or building blocks. Concepts or big picture thinking cannot occur without building blocks or basics no matter what they say.
Sorry, I don't know anything about it other than the term.
Perhaps it was decided to dumb down curriculum for our dumbed down audience.

Ok, I have a 7 year old hen. She hasn't layed an egg in ages. Her back end is so swollen (fluid), she waddles around. She can no longer jump up on the roost.

She has had a swollen bottom for 4 or 5 months, but in the last week it's gotten much worse. .She is eating and drinking, but she is very uncomfortable.

I think she will not last much longer, but I can't just watch her suffer. I am unable to snap her neck, or cut off her head. What is the LEAST traumatic way to put a chicken out of it's misery (when you have NO intention of eating it)?
hit.gif
She could be an internal layer, or have cancer. She's old, not laying, and not feeling well. Time to go.
Faster methods would be to shoot her or run over her with the car.
Still, snapping the neck or cutting the head off are quick, humane and sure.

Get someone else to do it, like the BF?
Good idea.

If you take a sickle and put a longer handle on it then it becomes a scythe. That's how it works in my mind anyway.
Sickle is for handfuls of vegetation. Hence the curved blade. Scythe is for large swaths of vegetation. They make quick work of the job. That's all they had before mechanization.

Tractor supply or feed store should have syringes available if the pet store doesn't have any.
Farm & Home and other TSC type stores have them here. Not pet stores or the feed store close to my house.
I get needles at Walgreens.

Not quite. A scythe blade is straighter and a whole lot longer. Old-time farmers used them to cut their wheat fields
X2

0.jpg

nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwhites634

Don't know about fancy; know it was more work than I cared to do in the hot sun

Perhaps our scythe was fancy. It looked like this one only that the long handle was more curved to wrap around your bod. I used it a lot. We had a couple sickles.

What third person? I am so stinking sensitive to what the wives might feel, that I will do all I can to keep the guys on here from hitting on even a photo of a strange woman. Not to be confused with them hitting on a picture of me, whom is strange! :lau
Removing their heads let you know that they are definitely dead, but breaking their neck doesn't involve blood… Unless you twist too many times!
Personally, the gas chamber is traumatic for me. It takes too long for them to die. There is a reason that we no longer use it for humans, and it is opposed when they do it on dogs.

3rd person is the "innocent" bystander who over hears something that wasn't intended for them. Chaos hit the nail on the head earlier but I cant seem to find it to add the quote.

Personally, the gas chamber is traumatic for me. It takes too long for them to die. There is a reason that we no longer use it for humans, and it is opposed when they do it on dogs.
I never understood why they used cyanide, seems like CO (carbon monoxide, not CO2) would be ideal. Many people sleep to death due to a malfunctioning furnace. Only thing I can figure is it is too peaceful a way to go, a certain segment of our society craves violence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom