INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! w/Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs No problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
woot.gif

Quote:
Good morning Whites! Any plans today?
Can you explain to MC the difference between wood bits & metal bits? I don't have the words. Wanted to show her the difference, but I don't have any wood bits

It does matter - wood drill bits won't work on metal (destroying the bit in the process, unless used on thin and soft metals) and metal drill bits will increase splintering and tear-out when used on wood (but this depends also on the wood type and the diameter of the bit, and for smaller diameters there is little difference between wood and metal drills bits).
As for how to tell them apart - wood drill bits have two distinguishing features: a spar (also brad) and a lip. The spar helps in keeping the bit centered when starting the hole and prevents wondering of the bit on the surface of the wood. The lip acts like a chisel, slicing through the wood fibers in the circumference of the drilled hole, improving the quality of the finish. This is most important for through holes, where the lips helps reduce "blow-out" of the wood when exiting the wood on the other side. Wood bits are typical black and silvery in color, but other colors exist.

Metal drill bits, on the other hand, have just an angle at the tip. They often are fully black (plain HSS), golden (often titanium oxide finish) or coppery (often cobalt steel) in color:

I don't need a smart reply. No one does, but they are often offered. If you do, I will do what I must.

Four birds are dead in my run. I can't say I know what happened. I will look harder for the point of entry later. If there is one. I closed the run when I checked on the broody pen. They could have been killed before that. I remember the ducks walking into the run as I was leaving the other side. That isn't odd. Jojo wants me all the time, and will come outside if he can get through the other ducks laying around. So I remember seeing the white of the ducks. I can't remember if the cockerels (three SPR) were roosting on the pop door. They are the ones gone, and it looks like one of my blue pullets. I looked inside, and all was okay. I looked at the roof, and didn't see a gap in the wire.

The only question I have, is what do I do with the bodies? Part of me wants to use them to practice processing, but the flies make me believe that is not a good idea. I don't have woods to put them in. Can I get away with double (or triple) bagging them, and putting them in the trash?

And why not the turkey that roosts on the roof? She is easy to catch.

I'm sorry.

Burn, bury, you can probably get away with bagging and putting into trash, although I think you are not supposed too.
Thanks, Mike.
highfive.gif

Well time to rotate and motivate. Have a great day everyone!
Have a great day!

Good morning everyone.
frow.gif
Hello Pensmaster!

I finally cried for a minute. That and waiting half an hour made cleaning up a breeze.
Has anyone ever growled at a chick, telling it to get mad? One baby is all but dead. I took it out, gave it Nutri-drench and wrapped it up. I then walked around the house growling at it, telling it to get mad and peep. It didn't listen. :confused:

I found the entry point. I can fix it easily enough today.

Quote: You can do it, whether new materials or found/recycled/scrap. I'm alone, and wasn't all that handy, and I figured it out and built some pretty nice coops (with some messy stuff along the way). Just remember that it doesn't have to be pretty, but it does need to be secure. No gaps or openings more than about 1/2" anywhere is a good rule. That includes an apron for about 2 feet around on all sides, because many predators will dig their way in.

Good bye, earthlings and Chicken Canoe!
frow.gif
So CC isn't an Earthing?
gig.gif

I just got done leg banding 14 chicks. I have 2 more zipping and 1 pip. Only 1 egg out of 18 doing nothing.
This is by far my best hatch rate in a Little Giant. Usually it is a chicken executioner.
Congratulations! Any particular reason that you think it went better this time? (I thought you said something about that in a previous post, but can't recall.)

Much to my chagrin, most women I know don't need men either. That's cool though.
You betcha!
thumbsup.gif

I don't need a smart reply. No one does, but they are often offered. If you do, I will do what I must.

Four birds are dead in my run. I can't say I know what happened. I will look harder for the point of entry later. If there is one. I closed the run when I checked on the broody pen. They could have been killed before that. I remember the ducks walking into the run as I was leaving the other side. That isn't odd. Jojo wants me all the time, and will come outside if he can get through the other ducks laying around. So I remember seeing the white of the ducks. I can't remember if the cockerels (three SPR) were roosting on the pop door. They are the ones gone, and it looks like one of my blue pullets. I looked inside, and all was okay. I looked at the roof, and didn't see a gap in the wire.

The only question I have, is what do I do with the bodies? Part of me wants to use them to practice processing, but the flies make me believe that is not a good idea. I don't have woods to put them in. Can I get away with double (or triple) bagging them, and putting them in the trash?

And why not the turkey that roosts on the roof? She is easy to catch.
I am so so so sorry.
hugs.gif

I'm sorry.

Burn, bury, you can probably get away with bagging and putting into trash, although I think you are not supposed too.
I don't bury because I've got too many critters that will just dig a bird back up and drag bits all over creation (attracting even more predators/scavengers in the process - and adding to my own trauma). So, although I'm not probably supposed to (though I've looked and I didn't find explicit language prohibiting it in our info), I double bag and throw out. I do this for feathers and entrails when I process, too - I reason that if I can throw out kitchen waste that includes meat and parts, it makes sense that I can do this. It would be different if an infectious disease were involved, or if it was a much larger animal (e.g., a large dog or goat), but with a chicken, I double/triple bag.

- Ant Farm

The last Cayuga hatched last night! I had 15 viable eggs to start, had 2 Buff eggs quit around 2.5 weeks. Locked down 4 Buffs and 9 Cayuga, this morning everyone is in the brooder having a blast!

MC, your chickie babies are sooo cute! And so sorry to see you lost some, that always sucks. Hope you get the turd that killed them.

I got the temp gun and checked the plate. It's reading 120* with the dimmer about 3/4 up. I haven't tried it all the way up yet, but it had to be hotter than the 125* max.

I'm finally back home from my trip to panama. I can't believe how much my babies grew in 2 weeks. Lots of chickens roaming around in panama. I saw frizzles, naked necks, aracaunas!

I finally cried for a minute. That and waiting half an hour made cleaning up a breeze.
Has anyone ever growled at a chick, telling it to get mad? One baby is all but dead. I took it out, gave it Nutri-drench and wrapped it up. I then walked around the house growling at it, telling it to get mad and peep. It didn't listen. :confused:

I found the entry point. I can fix it easily enough today.
Ground level entry point? How big?

You can do it, whether new materials or found/recycled/scrap. I'm alone, and wasn't all that handy, and I figured it out and built some pretty nice coops (with some messy stuff along the way). Just remember that it doesn't have to be pretty, but it does need to be secure. No gaps or openings more than about 1/2" anywhere is a good rule. That includes an apron for about 2 feet around on all sides, because many predators will dig their way in. 

So CC isn't an Earthing? :gig

Congratulations! Any particular reason that you think it went better this time? (I thought you said something about that in a previous post, but can't recall.)

You betcha! :thumbsup

I am so so so sorry. :hugs

I don't bury because I've got too many critters that will just dig a bird back up and drag bits all over creation (attracting even more predators/scavengers in the process - and adding to my own trauma). So, although I'm not probably supposed to (though I've looked and I didn't find explicit language prohibiting it in our info), I double bag and throw out. I do this for feathers and entrails when I process, too - I reason that if I can throw out kitchen waste that includes meat and parts, it makes sense that I can do this. It would be different if an infectious disease were involved, or if it was a much larger animal (e.g., a large dog or goat), but with a chicken, I double/triple bag. 

​- Ant Farm 

I thought he would get a laugh out of me saying that.
I think the same way about trash.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom