INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! w/Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs No problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMHO, our entire education system needs revamping or a complete overhaul.
It just isn't fair that American children get educations based on the wealth of the tax base in that school district.
Every child should have the same quality of education but that isn't the way our system works.
There are poor districts down in the Ozarks with little tax base and children don't have even the most basic education.
There are a few wealthy districts in St. Louis county where kids get world class educations. All the while, St. Louis city and East St. Louis along with poorer districts have been stripped of their accreditation.
The end result is that poor people's children get poorly educated. Wealthy people get well educated on our dime.

How do we continue to allow that to happen.

Life skills are wonderful things to teach.
I remember when my kids would ask for things and I would have to say no. But they didn't understand when I told them we couldn't afford it.
I discovered a way to teach them that. Each month, each child took turns paying bills and balancing the check book.
The most poignant event happened when my son, who was younger was writing checks and balancing the checkbook.
While working through the pile of bills and writing checks, there wasn't enough in the account to write the next check.
He said, "so what do I do now, put a negative in the balance"? I said, "No, you can't write the check until I deposit more money on payday.
After a couple months of that, they understood that there weren't unlimited funds available after mortgage, gas, electric, cable, phone, water, trash, sewer, life and car insurance, etc..
In my area our rich towns are 'donor' towns to the less fortunate towns, most of the schools around here are pretty average as far as education, unless you want to pay for private school

good lesson for you son

Life skills like making a bed or preparing for toilet disasters should be learned early in life.
If one doesn't learn that stuff growing up at home, the army can teach those skills.
Apparently, the Navy can't teach life skills. They even put my husband in charge. He can't fold a flag either. How does one manage that?!

Despite the way things are for me, I will not trash my husband, so I will leave it at that.

I think so too.
Studies say that those old wives tales are wrong.
The most elaborate study I've seen is that the best way to preserve is to place unwashed eggs in a sealed container in the refrigerator.
They could last a couple months on the counter unrefrigerated but they need to be in a sealed container.
Here's the study. It was 20 batches of 36 eggs each.
http://www.motherearthnews.com/real-food/how-to-store-fresh-eggs-zmaz77ndzgoe.aspx

One of the smartest guys I know can't spell to save his soul.
It kind of drives me nuts but he's happy with how he rolls.

It just isn't fair that American children get educations based on the wealth of the tax base in that school district.
Every child should have the same quality of education but that isn't the way our system works.
There are poor districts down in the Ozarks with little tax base and children don't have even the most basic education.
There are a few wealthy districts in St. Louis county where kids get world class educations. All the while, St. Louis city and East St. Louis along with poorer districts have been stripped of their accreditation.
The end result is that poor people's children get poorly educated. Wealthy people get well educated on our dime.

I remember when my kids would ask for things and I would have to say no. But they didn't understand when I told them we couldn't afford it.
I discovered a way to teach them that. Each month, each child took turns paying bills and balancing the check book.
The most poignant event happened when my son, who was younger was writing checks and balancing the checkbook.
While working through the pile of bills and writing checks, there wasn't enough in the account to write the next check.
He said, "so what do I do now, put a negative in the balance"? I said, "No, you can't write the check until I deposit more money on payday.
After a couple months of that, they understood that there weren't unlimited funds available after mortgage, gas, electric, cable, phone, water, trash, sewer, life and car insurance, etc..

That reminds me. I have to buy a plunger. I gave my son ours when he moved out last week.

Life skills like making a bed or preparing for toilet disasters should be learned early in life.
If one doesn't learn that stuff growing up at home, the army can teach those skills.

Good plan, it's awful buying eggs after doing all this work.
 see above link.

Tongue depressors always made me gag.

X2
Or lock him in his room at night.
Or remove all toys from common space.

I don't go to doctors unless I need sutures or other surgery.
They are PRACTICING medicine and over medicate.
I'm mid 60s and haven't been to a doctor in 10 years or more.

One of my best friends is a doctor. He calls me a cave man.
Funny, I read that early this morning. Thanks.

She's had this cough going on 4 days now, been using her inhalers but they don't seem to be helping. My immediate thought when she started throwing up was strep as that's her normal strep response (throw up), but no fever and she says her throat doesn't hurt. Maybe she's throwing up from coughing so much and so hard. I told her if it's no better by tomorrow that we are probably going to doctor.
Yeah, I'd definitely take her in tomorrow if you're going on 5 days with no improvement. :(

Intense coughs can be a # of illnesses, so hopefully she's magically better by tomorrow and you don't have to take her in :(

I think so too.
Studies say that those old wives tales are wrong.
The most elaborate study I've seen is that the best way to preserve is to place unwashed eggs in a sealed container in the refrigerator.
They could last a couple months on the counter unrefrigerated but they need to be in a sealed container.
Here's the study. It was 20 batches of 36 eggs each.
http://www.motherearthnews.com/real-food/how-to-store-fresh-eggs-zmaz77ndzgoe.aspx

One of the smartest guys I know can't spell to save his soul.
It kind of drives me nuts but he's happy with how he rolls.

It just isn't fair that American children get educations based on the wealth of the tax base in that school district.

The most poignant event happened when my son, who was younger was writing checks and balancing the checkbook.
While working through the pile of bills and writing checks, there wasn't enough in the account to write the next check.
After a couple months of that, they understood that there weren't unlimited funds available after mortgage, gas, electric, cable, phone, water, trash, sewer, life and car insurance, etc..

That reminds me. I have to buy a plunger. I gave my son ours when he moved out last week.

Good plan, it's awful buying eggs after doing all this work.
see above link.

Tongue depressors always made me gag.

X2
Or lock him in his room at night.
Or remove all toys from common space.

I don't go to doctors unless I need sutures or other surgery.
They are PRACTICING medicine and over medicate.
I'm mid 60s and haven't been to a doctor in 10 years or more.

One of my best friends is a doctor. He calls me a cave man.
That sounds like a good way to teach them that. With automatic bill paying these days, it's a lot easier to "go over" when you don't watch the balances correctly and know what bills = during the month.

What kind of thermometer/hygrometer do you guys use?
Is there one that is really accurate without having to check it? I don't think I'm good at stuff like that. Lol

Oh, almost forgot: duck AC are still jiggling. So I guess I'm not even tilting them? Or just gently? I've read all the stuff a hundred times but I just don't remember.
hide.gif
I haven't had coffee either.
How many days now?

Quote: Too soon to say.
Good morning Silver hair, Chaos, Banti, Aurore, and campingshaws, any interesting plans today?
@kwhites634 I hope you are OK this morning with all that work yesterday.
Gotta find gold earring hoops for my DD. Her piercings have been a nonstop struggle since December. Now one of her lobes has grown over the earring back. I'm not looking forward to that later. DD is 7 and a huge weenie about things that hurt or MIGHT hurt. She'll scream and cry if I just mention brushing her tangled hair.

Anyway, I'm picking up gold hoops and oragel, so hopefully we can get this resolved.
lol I said s it and told kid she aint never getting them done again!!
Hello, Darlin'
hugs.gif
love.gif

hugs.gif
love.gif
hugs.gif
love.gif
hugs.gif
love.gif
hugs.gif
love.gif
hugs.gif
love.gif
hugs.gif
love.gif

Quote: No; spent all day yesterday working up firewood for an 83 y.o. friend who's unable to withstand the physical load any longer.
ep.gif

My daughter is up and not vomiting so that's an improvement. However, she has am awful barking cough.
hmm.png
debating a trip to Doctor, but hate to go if they are just going to tell me it's something viral. She is terrified of doctors.
hmm.png
croupy cough, try boiling a pot of water in the house too.

Here's my 2 chicks! The one with the open navel has scabbed over but there is a piece of shell stuck to it. I guess I will just leave it there for now though, cause I don't want it to start bleeding again. They are hanging out in the brooder having snacks and water with vitamins.

Tomorrow they will go to the hens.
Awesome!!! congrats!!

Quote:
thumbsup.gif

Quote: ummmm NO

What kind of thermometer/hygrometer do you guys use?
Is there one that is really accurate without having to check it? I don't think I'm good at stuff like that. Lol
Thermo/hygro suggestions post #13998

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom