Incubating wood duck eggs

jtalking

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 28, 2012
Had to save some wood duck eggs today. I candled them and I can see fertility in some and others not but it is still early. Will I still have success even though they haven't been under heat in a day? It's not cold in ga right now so they aren't chilled. Has anybody else ran into a similar problem and any tips on raising woodies. I also hatch call ducks and rouens so I figure if I have some of them to show them how to eat I may be ok as far as their eating habits.

I also think your eggs should be ok. As they age, you should watch the humidity or spray them with warm to room temperature water. When they hatch, I would start them on egg yolk and meal worms and progress to a waterfowl starter. Do not feed them medicated chick feed as they are sensitive to that sort of food. I have raised some woodies and would be happy to offer private advice.
sheila8

I also think you'll be okay. I find natural incubation under either parent or a substitute for at least the first couple weeks before going into incubator gives me the best hatching results with wild type waterfowl eggs...

I find crickets as best way to get woodie hatchlings to start eating! I mix egg yolk with mazuri waterfowl starter and couple times a day i throw in a handful of crickets and they go crazy eating them! Since using crickets to get them started I never had a problem
Getting them to eat!

I find crickets as best way to get woodie hatchlings to start eating! I mix egg yolk with mazuri waterfowl starter and couple times a day i throw in a handful of crickets and they go crazy eating them! Since using crickets to get them started I never had a problem
Getting them to eat!
Crickets would seem only ok if they were chopped up is that what you do?What breeds of birds do you raise

No krep them live! The crickets jumping around in the brooder stimulate them to eat! They chase and hunt them! Plus great protein for them!

Back
Top Bottom