Incubating!!

AbbyTravers

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 4, 2013
Hello all. Today I am super excited because I am incubating 42 eggs!!
celebrate.gif
I am keeping a extensive log of all temperatures and humidity. With any luck these chicks will be a buff orphington/ red or black sex links! Any advice, opinions, stories, and/ or comments are very much welcomed!! Thanks and have a great day!!
wee.gif

celebrate.gif
I am keeping a extensive log of all temperatures and humidity. With any luck these chicks will be a buff orphington/ red or black sex links! Any advice, opinions, stories, and/ or comments are very much welcomed!! Thanks and have a great day!!
wee.gif

Good Luck!!! Incubating is so exciting/nerve wracking!! When is the hatch due?
The best hatch I have had was a complete dry incubation and then adding just a bit of humidity when the first one piped and allowing the hatching eggs keep the humidity up for the rest of them.. after three horrible hatches when I do incubate I will always do it that way..

The due date is the 31 of this month! Thank you for that story of your best hatch. I have done one batch before and set 18 eggs and got 10! That was with one of those Styrofoam incubators. It was a very neat experience. But this time I am using a industrial hatchery incubator that a friend is letting us borrow. She had her own hatchery so she is helping us a little with all of this craziness!!
jumpy.gif

The due date is the 31 of this month! Thank you for that story of your best hatch. I have done one batch before and set 18 eggs and got 10! That was with one of those Styrofoam incubators. It was a very neat experience. But this time I am using a industrial hatchery incubator that a friend is letting us borrow. She had her own hatchery so she is helping us a little with all of this craziness!!
jumpy.gif

LUCKY!!!! If I didn't have broody hens I may have incubator envy...
clap.gif

I have decided to put the incubator away for the year, I have my coop set up now and probably more broody hens than I can handle, I'll pull it out for turkey hatching next year tho , them darn eggs are to precious to even let one go to waste
big_smile.png

Last edited:
I have some broody hens too, but once they get setting for a little while they stop and go to the box right beside them or just go back to normal. We might get started into turkey business. The neighbor that is letting me use her stuff is asking if we would incubate and raise some to mate. So fingers crossed
fl.gif
I have a question. I have one silver laced wyandotte (toothless) about 1 1/2 yr old in a coop with 5 barred rock, Dominique, and buff orphington pullets which are only 3 months old. Along with a Cochin rooster, 2 pullet americanas, a Miller Du Fleur( pardon the spelling), 2 red sex link pullets, and a pullet leghorn. Plus 2 old English game bantams. All are the 3 months old EXCEPT Toothless. Anyway I have been getting a egg a day from her. But today I found 4 eggs! I checked this morning, no eggs. But when I came back tonight, BAM 4 eggs! Toothless cant lay 4 eggs in a day! Two of the 4 were tiny little eggs from the two old English game! ( I know this because I have a 1 1/2 year old, old English game.) So the last egg had to have came from the others besides toothless and the 3 month old game hens. How is this possible!
I cracked one of the old English game eggs and BOOM it is a fertilized egg! I am freaking out right now! They are all 3 months old besides Toothless!
Any idea what is going on??? They aren't sick but this is blowing my mind. I thought they weren't supposed to lay till 6 months!!
Any thoughts??

I have some broody hens too, but once they get setting for a little while they stop and go to the box right beside them or just go back to normal. We might get started into turkey business. The neighbor that is letting me use her stuff is asking if we would incubate and raise some to mate. So fingers crossed
fl.gif
I have a question. I have one silver laced wyandotte (toothless) about 1 1/2 yr old in a coop with 5 barred rock, Dominique, and buff orphington pullets which are only 3 months old. Along with a Cochin rooster, 2 pullet americanas, a Miller Du Fleur( pardon the spelling), 2 red sex link pullets, and a pullet leghorn. Plus 2 old English game bantams. All are the 3 months old EXCEPT Toothless. Anyway I have been getting a egg a day from her. But today I found 4 eggs! I checked this morning, no eggs. But when I came back tonight, BAM 4 eggs! Toothless cant lay 4 eggs in a day! Two of the 4 were tiny little eggs from the two old English game! ( I know this because I have a 1 1/2 year old, old English game.) So the last egg had to have came from the others besides toothless and the 3 month old game hens. How is this possible!
I cracked one of the old English game eggs and BOOM it is a fertilized egg! I am freaking out right now! They are all 3 months old besides Toothless!
Any idea what is going on??? They aren't sick but this is blowing my mind. I thought they weren't supposed to lay till 6 months!!
Any thoughts??

Although 12 weeks is a bit early I guess it can happen (obviously lol) have you noticed any of the pullets squatting or mating the roo? Its not unheard of at 15+ weeks...Are you absolutely sure of the ages?

Yes. The rooster chase the girls down and does his business. And yes there are going to be 3 months tomorrow!! The 12 th.

Yes. The rooster chase the girls down and does his business. And yes there are going to be 3 months tomorrow!! The 12 th.

Well if they are mating then they are ready...LOL.. I wish I would have been so lucky...Bought 35 chicks (to start raising dual purpose) and they have just started laying, or at least 10 of them have and they are about 21-22 weeks old

celebrate.gif
wee.gif

How are you logging your temperatures and humidity? I've got my little temperature logger that takes the temperature every 15 minutes for me and saves it off for me.

How often are you checking the temps and humidity? What does your temp and humidity look like?

How are you logging your temperatures and humidity? I've got my little temperature logger that takes the temperature every 15 minutes for me and saves it off for me.

How often are you checking the temps and humidity? What does your temp and humidity look like?

Wow! I wish I had a temp. logger like that. We have our incubator in a shed and whenever we go outside we look to see what the temp and humidity is. But before we put our eggs in we let the incubator run for about 2 days so we can make sure that we have the right temp and humidity. Our temp stays right around 99 to100 * F. And our humidity is about 60 degrees. I also log what time we rolled the eggs because we don't have a automatic egg turner. And when we filled the pans of water for the humidity. So pretty much anything we do to the eggs or incubator I write down for future references.
yippiechickie.gif

Back
Top Bottom