Incubation Help Please!

Okay so my first hatching was a flop I think. I started out with 12 barred rock red rock eggs. On day nine we candeled them, all but two were fertile. Candled on day 18 before we closed everything up and there was movement in all of them. On day18 I raised humidity to 65 to 70% I only ended up with two hatching one of which we had to euthanize because it had a slipped tendon and one rotated femur on the other leg. Days 1 to 18 we kept at a temperature of 99° and between 50 and 55% humidity
they are in a forced air incubator with an automatic rocker. This time I have acquired eggs from a barred rock rooster and a white splash rooster from barred rock hens, americana hens and Isa brown hens.
36 of them are going into the incubator in the morning.
to help improve my percentage of hatching what would people recommend I try differently this time? There are so many different opinions and so many different variables I'm finding it overwhelming to troubleshoot when this is only my second time.
I opened a few of the eggs that would be on day 28. Yes I candled them first. The chick was ready, yolk gone, but died. Bad genes???
This round that I'm starting tonight I'm going to keep humidity around 20-30% until day 18 then raise to 60-65% My temp will be 100 degrees and actually slightly lower on day 18-19 and lower 20-21 (according to the thread on here by Sally) Any other thoughts?
One successful chick out of twelve is very discouraging for a first time :(

I have found there are certain times of the year not to mess with shipped eggs.
I nonger buy eggs during extreme
Cold or heat.
Eggs may not be fertile.
Smashed packages, Your loss.
Eggs that get too cold, your loss.
Eggs that got too hot, your loss.
Eggs that are never going to hatch bc they are not fertile, your loss.
Eggs that are not attached to the inside of the shell, your loss.
Eggs scrambled, your loss.
In other words buying eggs on line is risky business.

Know your seller is the first line of defense,
Buying eggs online is risky.

I am sorry to hear of you troubles.

I would rethink the humidity.

Last edited:
Um after that big post I feel kinda bad saying, " no, these are my own eggs"

Oh my!
I tried to tell you everything that I possibly could that could go wrong, in that Shipping eggs, has its problems.
Sorry to hear of your problems hatching.
I have learned the hard way as you can see.
I will go back and see if I can shorten it for others.

Last edited:
Sorry for it never seeming to work out. I have only ever shipped chicks. Never eggs.
Thanks for all the info though

Back
Top Bottom